Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who does Michign want for our next President?
Obama 50 49.50%
Romney 10 9.90%
Gingrich 1 0.99%
Santorum 10 9.90%
Paul 24 23.76%
Any Republican 11 10.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 09:17 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
I actually wish he was more like his dad. I'm not really old enough to know exactly what it was like having George Romney as Governor, but he seems like the complete opposite and more moderate version of his son.
I wonder of what those old enough to really compare the two as politicians would think and how maybe that'll influence the primary coming up.
You are right. The Mitt nut has fallen far from the tree.
He was born into a bubble of privilege - a member of the the lucky sperm club. He can't connect with ordinary folk, though he ineptly tries to while campaigning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 02:54 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkytofu10 View Post
I will without a doubt be voting for President Obama in November. There are many reasons I will vote for him (foreign policy successes, repealling DADT, general personal appeal), but his action to save the auto industry was tremendous. GM and Chrysler were facing liquidation by the end of March, 2009. Instead of letting likely a million or more midwesterns slide into unemployed hell, President Obama put in a bridge loan that held the automakers responsible while still sustaining them. GM is now number one. Chrysler is roaring back. There is a reason GWB - who started the bailout in Dec, 08 - said he'd do it all again last week...

This issue will kill Romney, Santorum, or any other Repub candidate that did not support the policy in Michigan. Mitt Romney..."Let Detroit Go Bankrupt". Good luck with that now, Mitt.

I ma not interested in participating in the CD policitcal discussion, but i am curous about your statmeent. What makes you think that the car companies were headed for liquidation? Do work inside upper management at one of the companies? I expceted them to choose Chapter 11 and effectively do the exact same thing that they did with the Govt. Bailout funds. (That is basically what Chapter 11 is for).

Your assertion is news to me and interests me. Why do you think that wouldhave chosen liquidation?

Old 02-15-2012, 03:52 PM

179 posts, read 273,805 times
I really hope Santorum doesn't win our state because Romney doesn't know how to choose his words.

The GOP is making itself look mighty foolish taking Santorum seriously. Where are conservatives who aren't racist, sexist or anti-gay supposed to go?

Old 02-15-2012, 04:54 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,406 times
In this GOP line up, I don't see where moderate Conservatives have any place to go. I had thought a long time ago Romney wouldn't be too bad. Now I think he is awful and all the others even worse. If Romney gets the nomination I don't know how FOX can continue on with this endless talk about "elites." Romney is about as elite as you can get.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:09 PM

179 posts, read 273,805 times
I'm not thrilled about Romney, either, but he has a proven track record of success - as governor of Utah, taking over the Salt Lake Olympics and his role at Bain Capital. He knows money, and he knows how to manage. That's exactly what we need right now, and he's the only candidate I'd trust with our country's pocketbook.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:53 PM

161 posts, read 246,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I ma not interested in participating in the CD policitcal discussion, but i am curous about your statmeent. What makes you think that the car companies were headed for liquidation? Do work inside upper management at one of the companies? I expceted them to choose Chapter 11 and effectively do the exact same thing that they did with the Govt. Bailout funds. (That is basically what Chapter 11 is for).

Your assertion is news to me and interests me. Why do you think that wouldhave chosen liquidation?
IMO - and as the generally right-leaning Detroit News pointed out in the excellent editorial today (article below - I encourage you to read) - the auto makers were so deep in the hole by the time that the government intervened in December '08...and the credit markets were so tight...that there would have been no miracle private savior to come in and save the day like what happened to Ford five or six years ago (they were very lucky that they tanked before GM/Chrysler). There simply was no other option than government intervention since no private investor would be able to loan enough money to sustain the companies through the lengthy bankruptcy process.

I also saw Steven Rattner, who headed the auto task force, speak in December and he straight up said that GM and Chrysler would have begun liquidation by the end of March, 2009 if there was no intervention (he may be a bit bias though).

Editorial: What Romney misses on Detroit bailout | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com (http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120215/OPINION01/202150316/1008/Editorial-What-Romney-misses-Detroit-bailout - broken link)

Old 02-15-2012, 09:07 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
You are right. The Mitt nut has fallen far from the tree.
He was born into a bubble of privilege - a member of the the lucky sperm club. He can't connect with ordinary folk, though he ineptly tries to while campaigning.
This is what I see with Romney, the son, also. The more he tries to show how he "understands" we middle class folks, the more he keeps showing that he hasn't got a clue.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:25 PM

214 posts, read 673,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Listen, let me educate you "arm-chair" libertarians. If it weren't for Detroit, the good ole' US of A would've been speaking German and making BMWs.

This city single-handedly saved the USA from the brink of defeat at the hands of the Germans. We were the only city (save Pittsburgh) that had the industrial might to turn out a B2 bomber every *hour*.

It may make your liberal panties feel wet that someone else had a leg up on us, but make no mistake. The US was the king, and our people (a.k.a. our decision makers) are pissing it all away in the name of profit.

Never, EVER, underestimate the USA. We will always win. It might take us a while, but we DO NOT LOSE.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:06 AM

21,140 posts, read 19,722,567 times
If Obama saved the auto industry, then why is my GM stock worth $0?

...oh, excuse me "my Motors Liquidation Company stock"

Old 02-17-2012, 08:27 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
I really like the trees in Michigan...they are just the right height..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan