Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 08:28 PM

23 posts, read 52,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
One of the traffic laws in Michigan is speed limits are to be set based on 85th percentile vehicle speeds as measured by traffic engineers. Tell me why many cities break this law and get away with it? Why are the police writing illegal speeding tickets when they full well know the speed limits are illegally underposted?
1st of all that's not the issue I'm addressing. 2nd of all it would be smart for folks to take up the issues such as the "85th percentile" @ the police station or city mayor office or town hall meeting or whatever other outlet that'll deal with it instead of dealing with it on the roadways or highways where there is potential to risk injuring someone & nothing will get solved on the spot

Things like that need intellegent responses inside buildings not emotional reactions on the road. It'll never get solved that way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 03:40 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-MI View Post
1st of all that's not the issue I'm addressing. 2nd of all it would be smart for folks to take up the issues such as the "85th percentile" @ the police station or city mayor office or town hall meeting or whatever other outlet that'll deal with it instead of dealing with it on the roadways or highways where there is potential to risk injuring someone & nothing will get solved on the spot

Things like that need intellegent responses inside buildings not emotional reactions on the road. It'll never get solved that way

Just divert the issue......

Old 05-21-2012, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
By the language of this thread, I feel like I should be able to not wear my seat belt and ignore stop signs whenever I want.

VIVA LA FREEDOM!

You no longer need to wear a motorcycle helmet. And you can still drive small cars which offer less crash protection than large cars.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:50 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:

Quote:
Just divert the issue......
NYC-MI's response is not diverting the issue, it is how to address the issue. Ignoring the speed limit because you don't feel it is right without access to the actual data is just acting like a petulant child. Asking the proper questions to the right people for access to that data and then asking "WHY?" if it shows the limit is too low is the right way. I don't expect those who are arguing against the cops to even try and understand. Just keep acting like children and racking up the tickets to keep paying the fines to the State and Towns. Yep, you are really proving your point... NOT.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
NYC-MI's response is not diverting the issue, it is how to address the issue. Ignoring the speed limit because you don't feel it is right without access to the actual data is just acting like a petulant child. Asking the proper questions to the right people for access to that data and then asking "WHY?" if it shows the limit is too low is the right way. I don't expect those who are arguing against the cops to even try and understand. Just keep acting like children and racking up the tickets to keep paying the fines to the State and Towns. Yep, you are really proving your point... NOT.

The correct time to ask for actual data is in traffic court when the accuser is required to present evidence the posted speed limit is in compliance with state law.

You did not read my earlier post about Lansing cops who were writing speeding tickets on a road with an illegally posted speed limit of 25mph. The police WERE presented with data showing the correct speed limit should be 35mph based on traffic studies. The Lansing cops chose to ignore the data and kept writing illegal speeding tickets. Only when this crap hit the front page of the Lansing newspaper did things change.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:55 AM

So you just proved my point. It was NOT solved on the road or by police. It was solved using other outlets. See how that works ?

Old 05-21-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
So you just proved my point. It was NOT solved on the road or by police. It was solved using other outlets. See how that works ?

The cops were knowingly breaking the law. Were they arrested?

Old 05-21-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
The cops were knowingly breaking the law. Were they arrested?
Do you expect us to arrest them for you ? Were you calling for arrests ? Is it even an arrestable offense ? Again, your outlets for airing your grievances are key. You seem to be expecting things to happen from the comfort of your sofa or car seat

Old 05-22-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Do you expect us to arrest them for you ? Were you calling for arrests ? Is it even an arrestable offense ? Again, your outlets for airing your grievances are key. You seem to be expecting things to happen from the comfort of your sofa or car seat

Citizen's arrests are acceptable.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Citizen's arrests are acceptable.
We're not the ones "bothered" by the police & calling for arrests. YOU are. Did you arrest the entire police division in the name of justice ? How'd that turn out for ya ?

Did you dress up as Batman or Robin before making the arrests or was it some other superhero ? Sorry, but you're lacking serious logic so I'm just playing along
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan