Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2013, 05:11 AM

3 posts, read 6,202 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for a nice lake community, northwoods feel, for our retirement summer home. Nothing fancy, however, in a nice area. My sister lives in Grosse Pointe Woods and I would like to stay within 2-3 hrs of her. We have looked in the Lake Orion, Algonac area already, not exactly what we are looking for. We would love a 250 acre lake or more, staying in the 250-275 price range. Any ideas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 07:18 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,522 times
City-data has profiles on just about every area in the U.S., and then some. When I wanted to find out about a certain place, I would put the name of the city and state in a google search, along with the word "profile", and it would usually give me a city-data related profile within the first two or three on the page. A lot of times, there are pictures along with it as well as just about anything you would want to know about the place, including any forum posts made about it.

That said, Michigan is full of lakes just about everywhere you look- you shouldn't have a problem finding what you're looking for! We used to live close to St. Clair Shores, and I positively loved it- it isn't too far from Grosse Pointe Woods.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:14 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Two words: Lakeland, Michigan. It's about an hour from the Pointes and has a parklike, way-out-in-the-sticks feel while being a few minutes from the freeway and civilization.

Also: the Barton Hills area outside Ann Arbor; the Pinckney/Hell area; Ore Creek; the Michigan Chain Of Lakes in general; Bishop Lake in the Brighton area; the Whitmore/ Horsehoe lakes; Silver Lake in South Lyon. You can't swing a baseball bat in Oakland County without hitting a lake, either.

Off in the other direction, there's always New Baltimore, very watery indeed; it's the home of the fish-fly festival.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:53 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times
You're talkin' woodsy lakefront property with cottage and invisible neighbors?
After a quick search I found this.
http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...ect/13_zm/_fm/

NW Michigan has the "north woods", not so much the east side, especially close to Detroit. I searched Genesee County for this.
Check the topography here.
https://maps.google.com/?ll=42.80201...32093&t=h&z=14

Seems like you could check Zillow maps for homes, then the zoomable Google or Bing satellite maps for topography.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 07-07-2013 at 05:53 PM..

Old 07-07-2013, 06:29 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Somewhat different from a lake, but you could look at Grosse Ile. It is very much like living at summer camp in parts. Other parts are more developed. Problem is at $275K you are not going to get waterfront. You may get something on a canal. You could get a waterfront condo unit. I think there are only two of them though so units may not come up often.

You would get a house on Buno Road just outside of Kensington. I do not think there is anything right on the lake, but it is very heavily wooded back there.

Most water communities lack trees. There are just tons of homes all crammed together. Those are the two I can think of that are not like that.

If you go way up north of the bluewater bridge there are some nice lake front communities with trees, but the road seems pretty busy.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:24 PM

3 posts, read 6,202 times
Thank you everyone for your responses.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:06 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times
I was intrigued, so did some searching.
Attica Houses For Sale & Single Family Homes - Zillow
Price seems low, but...

Leonard Houses For Sale & Single Family Homes - Zillow

Oakland Houses For Sale & Single Family Homes - Zillow

Oxford Houses For Sale & Single Family Homes - Zillow

Lake Orion Houses For Sale & Single Family Homes - Zillow

Dryden Houses For Sale & Single Family Homes - Zillow

I don't see the "northwoods" here, but some look peaceful - probably are.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 07-09-2013 at 03:21 PM..

Old 07-10-2013, 10:20 AM

89 posts, read 194,320 times
Check out the Fenton/Linden area. Affordable housing around plenty of lakes.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:18 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,129 times
Eastsiders seem to prefer lake homes in the Thumb area north of Port Huron. There's lots of affordable home and land up there as the rise in vacation home prices hasn't spread very far east. It would certainly meet your 2-3 hour criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan