Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 08:58 AM

540 posts, read 1,910,409 times

Advertisements

Never been up to northern Michigan but if I were to go, where is the best location to view Elk on public land? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 10:55 AM

95 posts, read 240,891 times
See Seeing Michigan's Elk This Autumn:

Quote:
DNR Wildlife Biologist Brian Mastenbrook, whose work area includes part of Michigan's elk country, says there are four designated elk viewing areas. They are located on Fontinalis Road, 3.5 miles east of Vanderbilt and 3 miles north of Sturgeon Valley Road; 8 miles east of Vanderbilt on Sturgeon Valley Road: 4 miles north of the Pigeon River Country State Forest Headquarters on Osmun Road and 18 miles east of Gaylord on County Road 622.
Also Elk Viewing In The Gaylord Area!:

Quote:
The city of Gaylord maintains an elk herd and provides viewing areas for the public to stop and watch the impressive herd. Under the city's care the roughly 70 elk can be viewed from near the Elk's Lodge off Grandview at Elk View Park.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:59 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Where can I go to eat Elk?

Old 06-26-2012, 04:02 AM

809 posts, read 1,950,499 times
The elk up here are really stretching their range. Best place to see them is on the north side of Gaylord up near Vanderbilt. There are many local farms where you can see them most evenings. Ask around when coming up here, someone will tell you where you can go to see them. Incredible sightings when the antlers are growing.

We have heard them bugling in the crisp fall temps here outside of Boyne City toward the backside of Boyne Highlands area. Have seen tracks recently north of Boyne Falls near the old 27/I-75/Thumb Lake rd junction.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:37 AM

21,123 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Where can I go to eat Elk?
Fuddruckers serves an elk burger. I've never eaten there, but I discovered this while google-searching for a restaurant near Flint that I heard served Elk - but could not find the name of it. I knew a guy that raised elk that was served there. He built a fence out of decommissioned telephone poles because they can jump over standard height fences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan