Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:26 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,228 times

Advertisements

It has finally happened, FINALLY! Iron Mountain V.A. called today, and offered my husband the job, woohoo! I'm sure I've said this a dozen (if not more) times on here, but we have been in Omaha for the last three years...three lonnnng years, lol-my husband was fortunate enough to be hired on at the V.A. here, and in this economy I don't use the term "fortunate" lightly. Especially after living in N. MI for a while, where the job situation was truly frightening. Transfers within the V.A. system are pretty much like trying to get a job there for the first time-you go through the exact same process of applying, so it hasn't been easy and he's been trying for the last couple of years.

He starts there on August 13th, so that means doing everything fast fast fast, lol- I'm elated and terrified all at the same time (the definition of "mixed emotions"?!!)- it's just so strange after trying for this long, to have it actually happen-and I think we've been both going around today, sort of shell-shocked, lol.

If anyone wants to tell me how much I will love all that nature there, please, feel free! I'm all eyes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 04:01 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Congrats! Many people long to live in the U.P..including me! I would choose to live a little closer to Lake Superior myself, but at least you will be in God's Country! Good luck!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Congrats! Many people long to live in the U.P..including me! I would choose to live a little closer to Lake Superior myself, but at least you will be in God's Country! Good luck!
Thank you! Oh, if we had our choice of places to go over there, it would probably be somewhere else...like Marquette, lol- but that's ok, because either way? It's MICHIGAN!!!! And the job is already in place, so we can't ask for anymore than that

Old 07-12-2012, 09:35 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,247,217 times
Congrats on the move!

Old 07-12-2012, 10:07 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Its great in Marquette, most peoples choice when moving to the UP, and for good reason. Whats funny about that ?
I have no bad words about Iron Mtn. other than the obvious , the lack of Lake Superior just outside your window . Other benefits are its warmer here in winter, more snow, cooler in summer, lots more to do. fact is, many Iron Mountian folks come up here to shop and for entertainbent. Its only an hour away, maybe a little longer ( speed limit up here is 55 ).

Old 07-12-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Its great in Marquette, most peoples choice when moving to the UP, and for good reason. Whats funny about that ?
I have no bad words about Iron Mtn. other than the obvious , the lack of Lake Superior just outside your window . Other benefits are its warmer here in winter, more snow, cooler in summer, lots more to do. fact is, many Iron Mountian folks come up here to shop and for entertainbent. Its only an hour away, maybe a little longer ( speed limit up here is 55 ).
Oh nothing funny about it at all..I think I'm a bit on the giddy side, that's all! I would love to live with Lake Superior outside my window, but I'll tell you..after living on the prairie for three years, I will take any sort of natural water that I can get!! How I miss the trees and lakes over there, I absolutely can't wait-and just in time for Fall, sigh. I'm in heaven, lol.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:37 PM

68 posts, read 172,006 times
Congrats! My family moved up here from the WI. We LOVE IT here! I must say like 5 times a day: "I can not believe we live here!" It is so beautiful here! I LOVE living in the U.P.! (We had our choice of what city we wanted to live in and chose to be very close to Marquette-- But Iron Mtn. is very nice!!!)

Old 07-12-2012, 08:31 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennygracy View Post
Congrats! My family moved up here from the WI. We LOVE IT here! I must say like 5 times a day: "I can not believe we live here!" It is so beautiful here! I LOVE living in the U.P.! (We had our choice of what city we wanted to live in and chose to be very close to Marquette-- But Iron Mtn. is very nice!!!)
I have always liked Iron Mountian , it seem to have a positive feel where ever you go. We are glad you like it there.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:28 AM

24 posts, read 39,860 times
Congrats!! I've been to Iron Mountain a couple of times...it's a great place to be. I know how you feel, my family and I will be moving North next fall so all the excitement keeps building!

Med---

Old 07-14-2012, 03:47 PM

It is so nice to come on and see people so positive about a place- On the Nebraska boards which I frequent sometimes, most people don't like it here either (but they don't seem to despise it as much as I do, haha), and you will only have one or two "cheerleaders" who post about the awesomeness of Omaha (yuck! LOL). But here? The vast majority who post, and particularly the ones who post about the U.P. absolutely love it here. I have to admit, I even enjoyed lower Michigan, simply because there seemed to be lakes and loads of gorgeous trees interspersed around various cities- so you never felt like you were forever in a concrete jungle, so to speak, there were pockets of nature you could get away too, even in the cities. During the time we lived in lower MI, I had never been up north, and to this day I haven't been to the U.P.- but once we landed in N. MI, even spending a really heavily-snowed winter there (200+), it was like...there couldn't possibly be anywhere else that could even compare to up there, we were just in awe. Financially strapped, freezing our butts off every time we stepped outside- but in total and complete awe. Even when I was walking staring down at my feet the whole time, because I'm not the most coordinated thing especially in snow (still not, lol). Or when I would be standing at the gas station pumping gas, and the icy wind would be blowing and burning my cheeks and ears, and managing to creep through the umpteen layers of clothes I had on. Still loved it, and don't believe there is any place in the country quite like it.

I've never been to Iron Mountain, but I've "driven" it on google maps- I don't need to see it to know that I'm going to love it, it's exactly what we want in life-slower pace, nice people, nature everywhere. And the huge bonus is the fact that hubby has a job already there (which the lack thereof was our problem in N. MI, or we'd STILL be there, lol). I phoned a storage place in Iron Michigan, and the owner and I spoke for a good 20 minutes- he told me that if I wanted to call and just ask questions in general about the area or anything else, to feel free- he also said, "I know I don't know you, but I feel like I've known you my whole life"- and that is the difference, right there. People are decent, and helpful, and friendly- oh I'm sure there are the nasty ones too, but nothing compared to the type of people you find like that (or rather, the amount of people) most everywhere else. But it's the type of people who live up there, I suspect nobody is looking to get rich (fat chance, lol), people love nature, and life is just much more laid back.

I'm a happy camper. Or hiker. Or hunter. Or fisher. Or kayaker. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan