Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 06:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,032 times

Advertisements

Maybe you dont respond because you can not, that double talk about how much one very small sector of michigan is growing is just that talk, If michigan was in such a great state of transistion, why are not all the people working in this "NEW BASE" buying all the homes and forclosures that are flooding the market?
I will just say to anyone not living in michigan just go and ask any one how it is doing and you will get a very neg. answer.
These people who try to spin things are full of crap to their gills.
There will always be people who do ok in a dead economy, even druing the great depression there were some who prosperd, but this did not mean that "things were in a great historic state of transistion"
The Government just about shut down this week for christ sake, the state just took up taxes which will help the state in the very short term but will just force more people into banrupcy and moving.
This guy who keeps saying that it is the neg. people who are not seeing things right, I can only say he is in the very very small minority trying to talk him self into beliving his on crap.
Property values and sales are falling like a rock. I guess this is a historic transistion too. SPIN SPIN SPIN. You can not spin the truth to far as people can see and feel how bad things really are.
For every story where someone finds a good job in michigan there are 100s where people are having their lives ripped apart by the horrible economy.
here are just a few articals about michigan from people who know what economy is and means.
It’s rare for a state with an economy as large as Michigan’s to record job losses in the midst of a national expansion. A lot of ink is spilled in Detroit each month reporting short-term job losses. But some key long-term trends have been overlooked.

How bad is Michigan’s labor market? Michigan is the only state to record a contraction in nonfarm payroll employment for five consecutive years. The state’s labor market is headed for its sixth straight annual decline in 2006.This unprecedented contraction is centered in the private manufacturing sector, which peaked in July 1999. Total Michigan nonfarm employment peaked in June 2000

Recent history has shown that Michigan has a predictable pattern during national economic recessions. One predictable truth is that when the nation gets an economic "cold", Michigan gets the "flu". i.e. moderate national recessions hit Michigan hard. Such was the case in the late 1970's and early 1980's when the nation went into a pretty bad recession, but Michigan entered a near DEPRESSION. Detroit's unemployment was like 25%. Most of the major cities in Michigan with large African-American populations had unemployment rates between 20 and 30%. That was true of Saginaw, Pontiac, Flint, Benton Harbor, Muskegon in addition to Detroit.

The reason Michigan takes such an economic beating is because of our dependence on the auto industry. When the nation slips into a recession, even one that's not that bad, one of the first things people do is forego the purchase of a new automobile. They make the old ones last. Repair costs are probably cheaper than new payments, especially if the old one's paid off.

That's why Michigan almost always has a higher unemployment rate than the national average, during recessions.

Dick DeVos and the Republicans don't want you to know that.

They want you to think that Michigan's current economic problems are Governor Granholm's fault. Nevermind the fact that it was her that had to provide the political leadership to take care of the budget mess that John Engler and his Republican legislature left her. In spite of continued Republican control of the legislature, Governor Granholm made the tough choices in her budget proposal, that resulted in Michigan's current budget solvency.

Since they passed her budget, the Republicans have tried to stone-wall every single one of her proposals. They did so, because they did not want her to succeed. They didn't want her to create jobs improving the infrastructure, they didn't want her bringing jobs to Michigan through Michigan Economic Development Grants, and they sure didn't want her improving the living and working conditions of Michigan's working class.

Now they're trying to blame Governor Granholm for not fixing the problems.

The Republicans also don't want you to know that Michigan is always the last state to pull out of a recession. When the nation first starts to pull out of a recession, people are more interested in paying off their bills, building savings accounts, and maybe buying a few small luxuries that they wouldn't buy during times of economic uncertainty. What they don't do is rush right out and spend $25,000 on a new vehicle. Those major purchases are put off until six months, or one year, or two years after the recessions end.

That's why Michigan is always the last state to pull out of a recession.

The Republicans don't want you to know that either.

Please don't let Dick DeVos' campaign mislead you, or anybody else.

Monday, October 01, 2007

<DIV class=post>Petoskey Real Estate Market Slides in Third Quarter

<DIV class=post-body><DIV>The Petoskey real estate market took it on the chin in the Third Quarter of 2007, with both sales and sale prices of Petoskey homes and condominiums broadly lower compared to 2006.

The number of single family residence sold in the Petoskey School District in the quarter declined 13%, from 85 in 2006 to 74 in 2007. The total dollar volume from sales of Petoskey condominiums and homes in the quarter sank over 24%, from over $30 million in 2006 to $22.8 million in 2007. The median home price declined precipitously, from $237,000 in the Third Quarter of 2006 to $187,225 in the Third Quarter of 2007, a decline of over 21%.

The declines in the third quarter reflect the weakness in both the state and local economies. In addition to weak demand, increased inventory and the rising number of foreclosures are taking their toll on prices. The figures point to the fact that this is a

Last edited by clueso; 10-05-2007 at 07:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 06:58 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,848,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankawitz View Post
WOW you said a big nothing when it comes to having a Business for 22 years which I have serviced the Tri county area doing Plaster Repairs and Painting all the Eductional jobs don't help me one bit, As for I should have gone to school I did I spent 4 years at What's a Matter U, SMSP do you know what that stands for? I have done every thing I can to keep my Business going but with all these TAXES I just can't afford to live here I have NO INCOME I guess it's no big Problem for you who have JOBS but some of us are getting hit harder then you folks, So you don't know what I have to live with every day and how I'm going to pay my House payment and all these F%^*ING TAXES so take your HIGHER EDUCATION and live on Cato you don't have to worry about folks like myself cause you could careless if we loose everything we have worked for. As for going back to school I don't have Thousands of Dollars to pay for Education and there are no Loans I can get so tell me what choice do I have? Nothing I have to move cause I'm two house payments from living on the streets, Maybe you'll see me on the side of the road with a sign saying I'll work for FOOD. People like you crack me up you have never been in a spot like I'm in and your going to tell me how I should have done thing in my life. Like I said you upper crust kill me, You don't know what it's like for people who are facing loosing everything You don't know. I see ads on Craig's list for painters wanting to pay $8.00 an hour I made $10.00 an hour back in 1984 so tell me. What do I do in this type of market.
Which is worse, Cato telling you the cold hard facts of reality, or you posting 100 times on this website about the Michigan Armageddon? Do you not think that your constant rants don't affect those of us in Michigan who are trying to stick it out and make things better? Do you honestly believe you are helping the situation? Boy, talk about s**tting on your neighbors when they are working to hold things together. But I guess you'd just prefer that everyone jump into your miserable sinking boat.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:12 AM

262 posts, read 787,996 times
Well let me make this clearer for you I dropped out of High school and did the partys and I went from playing semi Pro Hockey to Prison I spent 4 years there I came out and took my GED and then I signed up for loans to go to SchoolCraft College 1980 well I was turned down on the loans, So I went to work as a painter and learned a TRADE then I moved over to PLASTER a SKILLED TRADE not just a PAINTER as you say anyone can do. If you look at my web site(Plaster Cornice Moulding Repairs) you'll see I do things that your neighbor down the road wouldn't have a clue how to do. The FACT is that these people that hire the un skilled Painters and other TRADES are what is hurting Businesses like mine. They all want to pay the CHEAP PRICE and like I say "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!" So tell me again how is all the years I have worked at my Business and My TRADE as a Painter/Plasterer I'm a SKILLED WORKER I'm not a kid I'm 50 years old and know more about Painting then your $8.00 an hour guy will ever know.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:19 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clueso View Post
Maybe you dont respond because you can not, that double talk about how much one very small sector of michigan is growing is just that talk, If michigan was in such a great state of transistion, why are not all the people working in this "NEW
Maybe I missed something here, Who are you talking to, and what the hell are you talking about?

As for not everybody working, that is why it is called "TRANSITION". That is not a principal that happens overnight, it takes time AND effort. Not like everybody is going to wake up with new jobs and skill sets for those new jobs. If you want a different job, or just a job; you need to either already have the skill sets needed, or get the skill sets needed. Nobody is going to give it away, you have to put forth effort to stay ahead of the curve, or you fall behind and have to play catch-up. Weather through schooling or aggressively seeking new opportunities within your own profession.

Before anybody jumps on me, No I am not upper crust, no I do not have a college degree (Stupid on my part), and yes I do work for a living. With my hands every single day, but also with my head to stay ahead of my industry and place the company in a position to take advantage of the latest advancements. I'm an Electrician, I pull very little of the same types of jobs I did 25 years ago, even 10 years ago. I have had to change my approach almost every year, the jobs I do now resemble what I did even 2 years ago in very few things. I cannot wait to get back to my home in West Michigan next Fall (My wifes job and family obligations took us to Maine 18 months ago.) Will it be easy? I doubt it. Will it be imposable? NO, it will not! Why? I can change my company to take advantage of different situations due to continuing to educate myself in my trade, and attending schools to position myself in niches that few other Electricians do.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:22 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Much better now that your whole post showed up finally Clueso.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:45 AM

418 posts, read 1,784,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
I guess upper-crust these days means going to college and getting a white-collar job. AFAIK, none of us are posting here are living in Bloomfield Hills and driving around in Bentleys. I'm not saying you should go back to school now, but that you should have gone when you were 18. At this point in US history, most any able-bodied person under the age of 70, especially if you're white, should have had a shot at college. At the least, have you heard of the GI Bill? It made college basically the new high school. Yeah, it was more difficult for some that others, but you had a solid chance unlike the guy who grew up in Masailand or the hinterland of China. Nope, you were probably dozing off in high school saying that school is for chumps while driving your Chevy around town cruisin for chicks. Like some of us have said, it was only a matter of time before certain occupations, like painters, became cheaper. It doesn't take any particular skills to paint - two arms and some patience. Why should I pay you $40/hour to paint when Joel down the street will do it happily for $8/hour and be able to somehow raise a family. As some generations of Americans get fat, lazy, higher-priced lifestyles, and entitled mentalities with little attempts at getting an education, it doesn't mean that their salaries should go up for no apparent reason to let them survive. Give me a friggin break.
Thank you.
I just DO NOT BUY the "I have it hard because I couldn't afford to go to college" excuses people have. My husband grew up with NOTHING. He had to illegaly work at age 12, so the family could pay the electric bill. When he was 18, he went to college. He got loans, and he also worked FULL TIME at night so that he could go. He did not want to live like his parents lived. He graduated in 4 years and ended up getting hired by the company he worked his ass off for in college. He still works there to this day. And he now has an MBA, because the company paid for it. And for that matter, while I didn't grow up like my husband did, my parents were divorced. As a single mother, it was tough for my mom to pay for all of my college. What did I do? I worked and paid for most of it myself.

Where there's a will, there's a way. And the fact of the matter is, no one on this board knows each other (I don't think). So if some people are perceived as "upper crust", so be it. You have NO IDEA where those "upper crust" people came from. Some of us worked our A$$ES off to get there.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:16 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
You have NO IDEA where those "upper crust" people came from. Some of us worked our A$$ES off to get there.
Well said - as several people have stated, it's about putting yourself in the best position possible with tons of hard work and a little luck. Yeah, it still doesn't mean it will always work out perfectly, but you at least have a fighting chance and your chances are generally better with more education.

We had NOTHING growing up - small, two-bedroom apartment for a family of five until I hit high school. I didn't cry me a river. I worked two paper routes by the age of 10 (when kids still had them). By 16, I was working two jobs to save money. My sister basically ran a bank by the time she was finishing high school. They tried to keep her on but she was smart enough to forego immediate gratification to go to college. She got into Harvard and Stanford but "settled" for Cornell because they gave her a full ride. I got into Yale but "settled" for a good Big Ten school because I got a full ride. My brother, who was always considered the brightest of us three, got an internship in high school at Mesirow Financial and stupidly didn't go to college despite scholarships b/c he was lured in by the job. Now he's barely scratching a living doing sales and sounds like a carbon copy of Frankawitz. My sister and I starved and willed our way through a Harvard MBA and a Penn Ph.D. b/c we saw the long term benefits. She was taking classes with dukes and Kennedies b/c she worked hard and placed herself in that position after college. I was taking classes with people who all came out of Harvard, Yale, Stanford etc. with my Big Ten degree b/c I placed myself in that position. So please, stop talking as if good jobs were handed to us along with a silver spoon and that we won some kind of lottery.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,985 times
Default michigan doing bad,

Is this about how bad Michigan is doing, or is it a kudos self back slap for how hard some one had it when they were itty bitty and now have a degree?
Sounds like some one needs some attention.
Every one tell him how good he done and we all should have a masters in self-serving A.D.D
This was a thread about how bad Michigan is, not how a few in Michigan are doing well.
I would bet this same person smokes cigars in back rooms and over a glass of expensive brandy talks about how the homeless are lazy and national health care is not needed, the unemployed don't want to work, and all the other republican lies.
Keep trying to change the fact that the masses are sick of spin and Hillary is 80% chance going to be the next pres. and your upper crust taxes are going up up up. and you are going to help pay for all those who can not afford to for things like health care. And Michigan is still going down. Keep telling the few who will listen and your alumni that Michigan will educate itself to prosperity. lol. People like this are so far out of the main stream they have no idea what the people who really work and build this country think and feel.
People like this sit around and talk and talk and then pat themselves on the back and say we really have it nailed down, do we not have a president that can not say 2 words with out screwing it up and then smirk as if to say, Wow I really nailed that Interview. When people like this are in the trenches with the masses then you can have the spheres to tell us how things are, until then your opinion means nothing except to the few who have no critical thinking abilities that listen to you.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 3,015 times
This is clasic example of some people who are educated stupid, Sure we need higher education, but where the hell do you think the way you live came from? most people I have worked for who are rich can barly find the gas peddle on their car, much less fix the smallest problem in their home.
with out the people who really work in this country they would be lost, not able to figure out how to turn on their microwave.
The vast majority of people in this country that make it work are people who do jobs that not only would these people who have a$$es the shape of their chairs would not want to do, but could not do, THOSE THAT CAN DO THOSE THAT CAN'T TEACH
I have been arund the so called "teachers" in schools, and in a pinch they are usless.
Most teachers on avrage have not the ability to do anything with their hands but wave them around as they talk about some vage theroy.
Give them a hammer and they are more likely to hurt them selves then build something, is this true of every one who is a teacher, NO, but on average it is the rule rather the exception.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsophie View Post
This is clasic example of some people who are educated stupid, Sure we need higher education, but where the hell do you think the way you live came from? most people I have worked for who are rich can barly find the gas peddle on their car, much less fix the smallest problem in their home.
with out the people who really work in this country they would be lost, not able to figure out how to turn on their microwave.
The vast majority of people in this country that make it work are people who do jobs that not only would these people who have a$$es the shape of their chairs would not want to do, but could not do, THOSE THAT CAN DO THOSE THAT CAN'T TEACH
I have been arund the so called "teachers" in schools, and in a pinch they are usless.
Most teachers on avrage have not the ability to do anything with their hands but wave them around as they talk about some vage theroy.
Give them a hammer and they are more likely to hurt them selves then build something, is this true of every one who is a teacher, NO, but on average it is the rule rather the exception.

Right on man, Ain't this the truth.
I work the line and can tell you that most of the white color jobs do nothing to keep auto pumping out of the door.
I don't think is was the workers that screwed billions from the investors and workers at enron?
I think it was wimps that were highly educated like skelling and leay that boffed the rank and file.
The R&F only take it for so long before they come with pitch forks and cut of heads of the blue heals.
In this county we elect in democrats when the elite get out of control and use trickel down, or as it should be called screwing the little guy, Any of the democrats is better then the worst Republican, except for ron paul, the only Republican who has the guts to say it as it is.
The people who made this country are not the people who have a degree, it is the people who fix your burger,car ect. for you. with out them all the rest is folly.
Some of the brightest minds have given us things like "the bomb"
eng. anthrax and much more.
On the same token I am not saying that educated people are not good for humanity, but they are by far celebrated more than they deserve.
A question that was asked by a respected and educated person on health care, Does the child of a janitor deserve the same treatment to health care that a CEO's child deserves?
If you say no you do not believe in a national health care system, if you say yes, you should, because with out one, the janitor's child will not get the same treatment to health care.
We need to take our country back for the neocons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan