Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 07:41 AM

98 posts, read 131,322 times

Advertisements

Hi - My wife and I are planning to visit Sleeping bear dunes this weekend. I did some research online and it looks absolutely amazing!

Does anyone knows how long/far the hike to the beaches is? I have seen conflicting information on from what point should you start the hike, how to reach there, where to park etc. Can someone please guide me? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 08:10 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,274,012 times
We always stay in Glen Arbor and then do the Dune climb right off M-109 in between GA and Empire. You pull in right off the road and the dunes are in front of you. Climbing to the top (depending on weight/age) isn't more than a 15 minute hike - but if you want to go all the way to the Lake (Michigan) - it can be up to an hr or so. The better views are actually climbing to the top and looking eastward towards Glen Lake.

Check out Cherry Republic and all the little shops in Glen Arbor on the way back - definitely worth it as GA is my favorite of those smaller towns. Visit Glen Arbor - Cherry Republic Headquarters. The chocolate covered cherries are amazing. You can just park in town and walk up one of the north streets (e.g. Lake St) right to the beaches within 5 minute for a calming stroll. Lots of coffee shops, outdoor bars with firepits/live music.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:27 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgooner22 View Post
Hi - My wife and I are planning to visit Sleeping bear dunes this weekend. I did some research online and it looks absolutely amazing!

Does anyone knows how long/far the hike to the beaches is? I have seen conflicting information on from what point should you start the hike, how to reach there, where to park etc. Can someone please guide me? Thanks!
Some beaches require a hike but most don't. All beaches and amenities within the park boundaries require a pass. Panning this map shows the beaches I know about. Asterisks are my favorite spots.
Google Maps
1) end of Good Harbor Trail (parking).
2) panning west - end of Bohemian Rd (parking, no hike), **east at end of Lk. Mich. Rd. (some picnic tables there), NW along Lk. Mich. Rd. (park along road, short walk to beach).
3) panning west - **Sunset Shores Dr. (park along road, short walk to beach)
4) panning west. DH Day state park camping with beach (inquire about day-use)
5) **end of Glen Haven Rd (parking at beach).
6) **south to Empire village park (parking at beach) The main Sleeping Bear visitors' center is here at M-22.
7) south to Esch Rd. (parking at beach)
8) **south to Peterson Rd. (parking with short walk to beach).
9) **west to Lk Mich Rd (nice park at end, walk along river to beach)
10) west on M-22 near tip of Long Lk (before Sutter Rd.) - the parking lot seen there is a trailhead with a long hike to beach. This is the southern edge of Sleeping Bear Lakeshore.
11) south to Point Betsie Rd (parking at beach with a lighthouse)
12) south to Frankfort end of Main Street (city beach)
13) **south across channel to end of Bye Street in Elberta (road descends to long stretch of beach)

Some cautions: ticks and black flies.
Hiking Trails - Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
http://www.nps.gov/slbe/planyourvisi...d/SLBE-we1.pdf

Old 05-23-2013, 07:16 PM

Another beach I forgot about is in Empire area at North Bar Lake. Parking lot on Larahr Rd, walk around north end of Bar lake to Lake Mich beach. Quite scenic. As I recall, E Point Drive is private.

Google Maps

Old 05-23-2013, 07:19 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,642,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
We always stay in Glen Arbor and then do the Dune climb right off M-109 in between GA and Empire. You pull in right off the road and the dunes are in front of you. Climbing to the top (depending on weight/age) isn't more than a 15 minute hike - but if you want to go all the way to the Lake (Michigan) - it can be up to an hr or so. The better views are actually climbing to the top and looking eastward towards Glen Lake.

Check out Cherry Republic and all the little shops in Glen Arbor on the way back - definitely worth it as GA is my favorite of those smaller towns. Visit Glen Arbor - Cherry Republic Headquarters. The chocolate covered cherries are amazing. You can just park in town and walk up one of the north streets (e.g. Lake St) right to the beaches within 5 minute for a calming stroll. Lots of coffee shops, outdoor bars with firepits/live music.
I so agree about Glen Arbor and Cherry Republic! There are a lot of nice shops throughout the town. Leland is also a great place.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:35 AM

Well jg, how was your vacation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan