Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 01:51 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,865,089 times

Advertisements

Homes are definitely more expensive here, compared to similar neighborhoods in Buffalo. State tax is lower. Food and various products are about the same in price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 07:52 AM

89 posts, read 194,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjohnson View Post
Well I would estimate we would want to purchase a home in the 300K-500K range. I want a commute no longer than 45 min. I know it sounds crazy to some but we like the classic suburb living. Also, I started just looking at some homes and found no homes with pools. Are there community/neighborhood pool? Where we currently live there is about 14k people in our school district (the samllest one on the island). We like that but I bigger school district is ok too. Most important is a good music program, clubs, and education system.

Does that help??
Yes it does help.

Many of the places suggested earlier are great starting points. A lot of the places I suggested are real close to lakes, if not on them. With that price range, you should be able to find a house with your desired (or less) commute time and great schools.

Ah, the Long Islander's and the pool's, seems like everyone has them there! (My wife's family is from Long Island, every relative has a pool there, haha.) - in Michigan, people generally don't have their own pool, but there are exceptions; from what I've seen more above ground than in ground pools. There are some communities with pools, but you will have to search. Not going to sugar coat it, many don't have a pool but there are exceptions everywhere. A lot of Michigander's just go to a local lake or the great lakes for beach time.

Hope this helps, best of luck!

Old 07-25-2013, 09:39 AM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
What a glorious and optimistic thread. I am looking to relocate, possibly to Ann Arbor and this sure is helpful.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:09 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,551,284 times
yes the Michigan forum has the most welcoming people...they made my transition so easy

Old 07-25-2013, 02:00 PM

32 posts, read 54,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Cons--We miss Wegmans!
There are fewer short people. Funny how you take things for granted when you've always lived in western/central NY; different ethnic mix. Minor issue, for sure. I`m used to it now, but felt like a pygmy at first.
We miss the amazing pizza and chicken wings. Ted's hots, too.
How funny we miss Wegmans too!!! There is not another grocery store like it. We have been living on LI for 5 years now and I go to Wegmans every time I visit my family I miss the chicken wings too!

Old 07-25-2013, 02:42 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Here are some "what if" examples for you in your price range just for fun:

21128 E River Rd, Grosse Ile Twp, MI 48138 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...l_PhotoGallery

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...=16&source=web
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...=23&source=web

It is on the expensive side of the TWP. On the West side you get more for the $ but less spectacular views and in most cases not as nice boat access.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...=39&source=web

This one you can walk over and say hello.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan