Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 05:14 PM

17 posts, read 51,592 times

Advertisements

Hi. ok I'm new here, and I found this site while researching Fannie Mae properties. My husband and I wrote an offer on a Fannie Mae property on Friday. When we sent in our offer, the listing agent did tell our agent that there was an other offer coming in that day also. But the listing agent also said that person was NOT pre-approved yet, and we are. Fast forward to Monday (yesterday) we got a request asking for our highest and best offer on the property. We offered 97% of asking price, and that is as high as I was willing to go.
My questions is (I know its totally unknown at this point) we do even have a shot? Does Fannie Mae ask this a lot of offers they get in? Are they trying to just get more money than what they really have it listed at?
The house did start at 218,500 and the price was dropped to 185K last Thursday.
I feel like they asked for more money just to see if we would pay it.. I'm beyond frustrated. We have been out bid on every house we put an offer in on.. one of them by 30K OVER asking price..

Any advice would be great..
Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 05:41 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
What area are you looking in?
You posted about rentals in your other thread; are you looking to rent or buy?

Old 07-30-2013, 06:06 PM

This is the only thread I have. I was helping someone else with apartments near me.

I am looking to purchase in Washtenaw county. Saline/Dexter/Chelsea

Old 07-30-2013, 06:34 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,804,417 times
We put an offer on a Fannie Mae property back in March. The agent had just dropped the price and used the same highest and best line with us. There were no other offers. We didn't budge on the price, and our offer was accepted. We ended up passing on the house because it need $60K worth of work, and the price wasn't near good enough to absorb that kind of work.

Good luck!

Old 07-30-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
We put an offer on a Fannie Mae property back in March. The agent had just dropped the price and used the same highest and best line with us. There were no other offers. We didn't budge on the price, and our offer was accepted. We ended up passing on the house because it need $60K worth of work, and the price wasn't near good enough to absorb that kind of work.

Good luck!
oh wow.. I agree, the listing agent may have been blowing smoke up our butts saying there was another offer.. we don't know and we will never know. I really liked this house and would love to own it but I'm trying not to get excited.. Hopefully tomorrow we will hear something..

Old 07-30-2013, 09:19 PM

850 posts, read 1,898,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcconville View Post
Hi. ok I'm new here, and I found this site while researching Fannie Mae properties. My husband and I wrote an offer on a Fannie Mae property on Friday. When we sent in our offer, the listing agent did tell our agent that there was an other offer coming in that day also. But the listing agent also said that person was NOT pre-approved yet, and we are. Fast forward to Monday (yesterday) we got a request asking for our highest and best offer on the property. We offered 97% of asking price, and that is as high as I was willing to go.
My questions is (I know its totally unknown at this point) we do even have a shot? Does Fannie Mae ask this a lot of offers they get in? Are they trying to just get more money than what they really have it listed at?
I feel like they asked for more money just to see if we would pay it.. I'm beyond frustrated. We have been out bid on every house we put an offer in on.. one of them by 30K OVER asking price..

Thank you in advance!!
It is hell waiting to hear.... I hope it works out for you! I was outbid on my dream home a few months ago, and thought my offer was very solid. You really can't trust anyone, not even your own realtor. Good luck!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:04 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
I feel like they asked for more money just to see if we would pay it..
In the case of multiple offers, it is rather commonplace for Sellers to make a request for "highest and best" offers. That doesn't mean that you need to raise your offer. You can stick with your original offering price, you can raise it to what you feel is appropriate, or you can withdraw your offer altogether.

But, it is not always the highest offer which gets accepted. If someone has contingencies in their offer, that could work against them.

The bad part is that you can never be 100% sure that there are truly multiple offers on the table...although more often than not there probably are. It's foolish for a Seller to otherwise take a chance with a single offeror.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
In the case of multiple offers, it is rather commonplace for Sellers to make a request for "highest and best" offers. That doesn't mean that you need to raise your offer. You can stick with your original offering price, you can raise it to what you feel is appropriate, or you can withdraw your offer altogether.

But, it is not always the highest offer which gets accepted. If someone has contingencies in their offer, that could work against them.

The bad part is that you can never be 100% sure that there are truly multiple offers on the table...although more often than not there probably are. It's foolish for a Seller to otherwise take a chance with a single offeror.
Hopefully our offer was good enough and we only have the appraisal as a contingency. I have my fingers,toes,eyes and everything else crossed.
It just would be nice to get into a house quickly, each day I get closer to my due date and it has me stressed!

Old 07-31-2013, 06:47 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,274,012 times
Don't get stressed - just read a neat article about a lady who gave birth in a parking lot in AA. A tad inspiring. Big House baby: Woman gives birth in parking lot of Michigan Stadium

I think all the above advice is solid (i.e. don't raise your offer) -- it's just a ploy to get more.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:08 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:

Thank you in advance!!
a) If timing is so important to you, why are you putting in offers on foreclosed homes? You realize the closing may take up to 3 months? If it happens at all (I've heard of that happening).

b) If the listing agent came back and said "make your highest and best offer," then the other offer did come in and you're basically in a bidding war. You may as well prepare yourself to pay full price+.

c) A listing agent can say that "another offer is coming in today," while dealing with potential buyers to help add urgency. It's certainly borderline unethical if it's not true, but that doesn't stop a lot of realtors. However, a listing agent can't misrepresent that there is a bidding war going on. That can be grounds for some pretty heavy disciplinary action from their board.

d) The house is a foreclosure listed at $218,500, which was most likely a greatly discounted price. And now it's at $185,00 and you offered $179,000. Has YOUR agent figured out for you what the market value of the house is? If it weren't a distressed property? That might help you in your decision making.

Buying foreclosed properties is a crap shoot. There are professional foreclosed property buyers who have it down to a science. The general public getting into the game is pretty much at the mercy of a screwy system. Hardly a good way to buy your dream home.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan