Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 10:51 AM
DRD

37 posts, read 124,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackwesterling View Post
I worked for Universal for one day. and walked off. I understand it the employment relationship as an "independant contractor." Your employment situation is just like mine and my fellow Michiganders. Its all "Manpower" or some temp service. There are no jobs that pay anything. Only temps. Its the pits and I'm looking outside of Michigan. But my house is paid for, thank God. But I can't sell it or I take a huge loss. I have 5 bedroom 2 bath house with 3 stall garage with a work shop 26' by 100' are its dimensions. And I had one offer-a paltry $25,700 !!!! NO WAY!!! I had it appraised at $200,000. My taxes are $1800 per year! Its bad here for everybody. Its all Manpower, Adecco, Forge, Williamson temp services. $9 bucks an hour, no benefits. And guess what our legislators did to us! They made so we can't collect unemployment checks if you work for a temp service. People are on temp services for as long as 2 years at Herman Miller, Haworth and Steelcase and many other companies. What they is do is they change payroll firms every nine months so you don't technically work for them so as to become eligible for benefits. Its the pits here in Michigan, Its awful. You will never get your check from Universal so cut your loses and leave Michigan. Its hopless, Its all Manpower

Man that's sad, it's the same here in Tennessee, all temp jobs and $7.00 an hour.

Legally, the companies are supposed to hire you on full time after 90 days with a temp service, here in Tennessee. Well, on the 89th day you're given notice that tomorrow will be your last day!

I bet GW didn't know about that either huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 11:07 AM
DRD

37 posts, read 124,771 times
Default Hydro Increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgirl45 View Post
Deregulation of utilities is awful. The government did that here and the utilities have gone up over 300% in the last 5 years. Crazy!
Is that since Ontario Hydro melded into Hydro 1 or whatever it is now?

Old 03-01-2008, 11:23 AM

4 posts, read 14,571 times
We have lost many manufacturing positions, but are beginning to get trained in new areas. We are looking for candidates that we can train in Michigan. Are you currently looking for work? If so, you can call or email me.

One of my contacts went to go work at a hospital and they are looking for 26 people (as of last week). Positions are going fast.

Email: kwolf at ureach.com (avoid unnecessary spam)
Phone: 269-471-9265

Old 03-19-2008, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,819 times
I am currently working for U.G.E. (Universal Gas & Electric), yes, they don't pay rightaway but you do get payed. The catch is the government takes 1/3 in taxxes (Independant Contactor), so when you do get your check its not worth it. Their agents also break most of the companies laws. For-instance they work out side their designated zones, and I heard an employee even got fined for selliciting. I'm working because its the only job I could find without having to go to a college. (Spend money to make money.) You shouldn't have to!

Old 07-09-2008, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,688 times
Exclamation Universal Electric

Wow i was just about to take a day off work to go to an interview there. They got my resume off hot jobs and called me. NO WAY i would sacrifice my job for this crap THANK YOU

Old 09-13-2008, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,525 times
Wow! Glad I came on here to see what the company was about. They got my resume off hotjobs also and called me. Im glad I now know not to take off work to apply. Thanks all!!!!

Old 10-30-2008, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,408 times
WOW! i went for an interview, hah, where they talk and dont care what you say. i knew there was something wrong with this company when its was a bunch of uneducated people being hired for a 25/hour job! like nah, this is all fishy, so did my research and im sure all them dumb people didnt and are now paying the price now. If your smart you will never be taken into a scam! But if your dumb, god have mercy!

Old 11-25-2008, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,653 times
you people have know idea what is goin on and you r all mis informed and its sad universal gas and electric is a good company and has oppertunities for people who want to work hard the problem is that most people do not want to work hard and they want free money yall r lazy and i don't want youworking with if you don'thave desire to be the best

Old 11-25-2008, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 6,653 times
What we do is offer price protection on your natural gas. At the rate of .99 cents per ccf 9.99 per mcf. Ccf stands for hundred cubic foot of gas. Mcf stands for thousand cubic foot of gas. So you just move the decimal point. The price of natural gas five years ago was .38 cents per ccf. If i could have given that price you wouldn't have see any of the increases for the next 5 years. Today the price of natural gas is .98 cents per ccf with dte energy and 8.10 per mcf with consumers energy. All were doin is giving customers the choice to choose not have there rates go up for the next five years. If the price of natural gas goes down theres the blend and extend program which says universal gas and electric lets you take advantage of any price declines should they occur in the next 5 years. So when the price of natural gas goes up in the next 5 years you will be fully protected at the rate of .99cents per ccf/ 9.99per mcf and if historical natural gas market trends continue to perform the way they have in recent years there is a very probable chance that u will see a significant savings thoughout the duration of the contract.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:57 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Yep, sure does look like a reputable company to be hawking their services. http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/mpsc/ord...02-22-2008.pdf

Hundreds and hundreds of consumer complaints against them, and a real slick line of BS offered to perspective customers. Go ahead and explain the "blend and extend" program please. Or just let me do that for you. Yes if prices go down you have the option (ONCE a year) to contact them and ask for the lower rate at which time they "blend" the going rate with the one you are already paying and then you have to extend the contract for 5 more years. That is NOT getting the lower rate, that is getting the average of the going rate and the higher one you are already paying, keeping it higher than going rates. Plus you can only ask for this if you are within 90 days of the contract anniversary you have with them. (Universal Gas & Electric > Product Detail)

Don't forget to mention the cancellation fees the company bills you for if you want out of their higher prices when you knock on peoples doors either. I would take it as a bad sign when the Public Utilities Commission opens an investigation on a company due to the high number of consumer complaints. Maybe do a bit more research before you take the company line and stick up for them. And if I were you, I would keep my eye open for any other job that might come along, it wouldn't surprise me if the State of Michigan rescinds their license to resell Natural Gas in the state.

The local companies cannot make any money off the price of Natural Gas, it is a regulation the state holds them to. An alternative company like this one is NOT regulated, and can charge whatever they want. Think about it for a minute. If you are a company and buying NG for the same price the other distributors have to sell it to their customers for, and you can't charge for the delivery of that NG to those customers; just where are you going to turn a profit to pay your people? Oh yeah, off the ONLY product they sell the NG itself. There isn't a successful business model one out there that has a company staying in business if they are selling their only product at below their cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: