Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 06:17 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times

Advertisements

Willzzz88 - thanks for your reply! But.....I'm not sure I understand it. I googled "native cellular netwoks" and didn't come up with much.

I think what you are telling me is that AT&T has full ownership of all its coverage in Michigan and so if you were on AT&T wouldn't be dependent on roaming. I.e. what the others said, AT&T in northern MI is one of the only options.
But AT&T doesn't have the pay as you use options I would like.

How do I determine if goredpocket MVNO works up there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 06:55 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,248,735 times
Giesela, Net10 uses AT&T towers in N. MI. Net10 is part of the TracPhone group, along with StraightTalk, but stick with Net10. For what ever reason, Net10 is the higher end of the three and seems to have much better coverage.
I've used Net10 for a good number of years, from Alaska to Michigan, and have never had a problem with coverage. Make sure though to put in the proper zip code on their website. If you put in a southern MI zip, you could end up with a sim card that uses T-Mobile.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:36 AM

Nephler, great info. But I actually live in Ohio so..............what does that mean? I could end up with a T-mobile sim card? how did you get coverage from MI to Alaska, switching sim cards? It looks like if you have your own phone you just need to make sure you buy the sim card you need. Do you need multiple ones for better coverage in different areas? Say T-mobile in Ohio and buy an At&T one for up north?

I went to their website and see the buy however minutes you want at a time option but didn't see data.
I think this may still be the biggest gap in customer service. None of the carriers want to sell talk/text and data separately pay as you go, except T-mobile sort of.
Do you have data?

Old 11-16-2013, 09:07 AM

Ok, well I just wanted to let people who gave info thanks and let you know how my quest was going (if anyone cares and I double checked the ATT website and they do seem to allow
bring your own phone
10c a min talk/test or 2 dollar a day for days used
then add random single months for data

Not exactly what I want as i would like to just pay for however much data I used on the road/traveling out of state when need it vs buying a whole month at a time. T mobile allows for a week at a time. But if they are both GSM(?) maybe I could switch sim cards down the road if Tmobile gets better coverage

Maybe someday use wifi for home data the rest of time? If that ever comes to pass

Old 11-16-2013, 03:51 PM

53 posts, read 149,065 times
Giesela,

Yeah if you can afford it I'd recommend signing up with AT&T and Verizon directly so you don't have a middleman in terms of the wireless networks. Sometimes the MVNO's (re-sellers, etc.) have a hard time resolving issues that AT&T directly can resolve more easily. Plus you can go to any AT&T store in the US and get the device troubleshooted and looked at.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:59 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,248,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Nephler, great info. But I actually live in Ohio so..............what does that mean? I could end up with a T-mobile sim card? how did you get coverage from MI to Alaska, switching sim cards? It looks like if you have your own phone you just need to make sure you buy the sim card you need. Do you need multiple ones for better coverage in different areas? Say T-mobile in Ohio and buy an At&T one for up north?

I went to their website and see the buy however minutes you want at a time option but didn't see data.
I think this may still be the biggest gap in customer service. None of the carriers want to sell talk/text and data separately pay as you go, except T-mobile sort of.
Do you have data?
I know you already posted with what you've done, but thought I'd answer anyway.
Your first Q, yes, you could end up with a T-Mobile card, that's way you need to input a zip code for the area you will be in. I guess I was thinking you were moving up here.
From AK to MI; I had a AT&T sim, so it worked everywhere I went. Even after moving back to MI, I kept my AK number for quite awhile, until I got a corporate phone through my work.
Yes, you can use your own phone as long as it is unlocked and a GSM phone.
If you were to go with Net10, and you have good AT&T coverage in OH, then that is what I would do. You would be covered in both areas.

Hope this helps a bit.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:11 AM

25 posts, read 35,874 times
We live in SE Michigan and had AT&T for years and years...we were tired of paying something like $180/mo. for our 2 smartphones so decided to try straighttalk and bring our phones with us (we were no longer under contract). We now pay half the cost for unlimited everything. We've been pretty happy with it. The customer service SUCKS and it sometimes is a hassle to understand the APN stuff, but we save a lot of money and have no contract. We have the AT&T phone compatible SIM cards (not sure these are still available but you could try ebay) and they still use the AT&T cell towers from what I understand....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan