Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 04:25 PM

4 posts, read 7,042 times

Advertisements

I am wanting to move to the area and I would prefer to be in a small town but close to Muskegon. Can anyone tell me the better areas that have good schools and great to raise kids?
Also where would be the best place to work as a CNA until I finish college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 11:50 AM

792 posts, read 2,325,235 times
The first question comes up fairly often. Norton Shores, North Muskegon, Spring Lake, and Grand Haven are the usual answers. If you're a student, Norton Shores is probably your best bet because housing is cheaper there than in the other places. Use the search button and you'll find several other threads that talk about these places and the Muskegon area in general. As for the CNA question, I can't say which is best, but you should be able to find something at one of the hospitals or nursing homes in the area.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:54 AM

Thank you. I will definately check thoses out starting with Norton Shores. Interms of the job, I am in the process of getting one at Mercy Health. I also notice I have a better chance of getting housing if I get a job first.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:53 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,860,382 times
Spring Lake.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:07 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,072,422 times
I'd say Spring Lake/G-haven too

Old 05-30-2014, 08:53 AM

Thanks so much for all the replies

Old 05-30-2014, 12:48 PM

26 posts, read 64,417 times
Spring Lake...lock the thread!
Beautiful area with excellent schools

Old 05-30-2014, 05:10 PM

SL and GH have attractive downtowns, but SL and GH are more expensive and significantly farther away from Mercy Health. The Mona Shores district is just as good as those of the other two* and the population is more diverse. Rather than having to commute on the highway every day and pay higher rent/mortgage payments, it would be better to live in Norton Shores or Roosevelt Park and visit the other two occasionally.

*I am open to correction on this point if someone can provide data. My perception is based solely on hearsay since I do not have kids myself.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:44 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,860,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
SL and GH have attractive downtowns, but SL and GH are more expensive and significantly farther away from Mercy Health. The Mona Shores district is just as good as those of the other two* and the population is more diverse. Rather than having to commute on the highway every day and pay higher rent/mortgage payments, it would be better to live in Norton Shores or Roosevelt Park and visit the other two occasionally.

*I am open to correction on this point if someone can provide data. My perception is based solely on hearsay since I do not have kids myself.
I don't really think of Mona Shores as a "town," it's more of a bedroom community. Is there a downtown?

Old 05-31-2014, 03:46 PM

Mona Shores is the school district that comprises Norton Shores and Roosevelt Park. Norton Shores is technically a city (pop. over 20k) but has no city center to speak of. It has two large commercial zones which include the biggest mall in the greater Muskegon area and several major national retailers, but no real downtown. But it has homes in safe neighborhoods within biking distance of the beach and walking distance to a bus connection to central Muskegon for under $100k. The enclave of Roosevelt Park has a tiny downtown that is basically an offshoot of one of the Norton Shores commercial strips. There are also factories in Norton Shores, so it is not simply a bedroom community, but I can see how one might get that impression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan