Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 06:25 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,947 times

Advertisements

This isn't Calumet-specific…but I've often wondered why the U.P. doesn't vie for the Winter Olympics. Yes, I know there's inadequate infrastructure. But wouldn't it be just the thing for the locals to have a massive influx of internationals move in, if only for a few weeks? The how-ya-gonna-keep-'em-down-on-the-farm phenomenon.
"Ah, so this is how modern people live!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 08:45 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWindRider View Post
This actually describes exactly what I'm doing. I just rented a place for the winter in Houghton so I can scout around for property. I haven't ruled out Marquette either so will be checking it out as well. Have an occupation I can telecommute but money isn't an issue, largely because I'm single and have no dependents, which makes it far more doable. I don't really care much about culture: I usually create my own in terms of finding like-minded people to hang with. Being originally from the Midwest, I have some familiarity with the region and have visited the UP a number of times.

Currently, I live out West and am a massive snow lover and avid XC and back country skier (as well as mountain biker, which the UP is also known for). That's the major draw for me, as well as reasonable real estate, another big draw. But I also know the associated hassles with living in deep snow and cold and not sure I can hack it. We'll see. It's a lot colder in the UP than where I do most of my mountain skiing. At least here i get to come home to moderate temps and dry streets at the end of the day. In the UP, it's 24/7 cold and snow and driving on winter roads, which can be exhausting. On the other hand, I won't have to drive four hours round trip to go XC skiing in the UP. More like four minutes. That's a huge draw for me, enough that I'm willing to put up with the harsher conditions. And being able to buy a house that's three to four times cheaper there than here leaves me plenty of reserve funds to pay for the high heating bills and other associated costs.

At least, this is my plan - anyone with any input feel free to chime in. I'm totally winging it.

Will be happy to provide occasional reports to anyone interested. And thinking about creating a blog to document my adventure, so I'll post a link here if it happens. Will be arriving there the first week of October. I reserve the right to change my mind about living up there too - I'm not entering into this lightly. Have awakened a couple times in the wee hours lately thinking "What the heck have I got myself into!?" Glad to hear others say that Houghton is a lot more vibrant than the rest of the Keewenaw - that's what my research has shown too, and from what I remember when I last visited there a few years ago.

Regarding the OP's comments, I'd say some of what they are describing is going on everywhere - it certainly is in the college town in which I live, and I'm not talking about students. In the last five years, there has been a significant decline in the life quality for many people here, so in my opinion some of what is happening in the Keewenaw is probably related to the national economic climate. But I can also imagine that places like Calumet have been struggling a lot longer. It goes with the territory in remote places like that.
I'd like to say that I'm very interested in hearing reports from you, especially as we move into the winter months. I think it's awesome you're doing this, and in a way so you can back out if you decide it's not right for you.

Wishing you the best of luck in your new venture.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
A lot of it has to do with attitude. If you move to an area that has a different life style, as much of the north western UP has, and you're from down state or city, then expect your new town to be like where you left or try changing the way life is there, then you will be rejected. You need to want that newer life style. When talking with some of the locals the worst things you could say is, "well back in (name any city) we did it this way". Any statement like that will get you nowhere but pushed out. My wife is from the UP, and I've know most the towns and back roads like the back of my hand, and never once have I run across an unfriendly local. Again, moving to a small UP town is a whole different life style for most, and you must want to live that life.
I think that's very true. A lot of what people say about "not fitting in" and being "rejected" can be said for many, many areas of the country - both rural and urban. I have a good friend that's moved back to his hometown in central GA, and despite being from there, he just hasn't found a way to fit in, hasn't been able to make new friends, etc - and I think a lot of it has to do with attitude. I think if one was to do things such as volunteer, make an effort to meet like-minded individuals and not imposing your way of doing things upon others, it's possible to make a go of it in a place like the Keweenaw. Or anywhere else new, for that matter.

As for me, I happen to like that laid-back, outdoorsy lifestyle they have up there - saunas and all. And the snow, don't get me started on that..lol.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:49 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,642,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
A lot of it has to do with attitude. If you move to an area that has a different life style, as much of the north western UP has, and you're from down state or city, then expect your new town to be like where you left or try changing the way life is there, then you will be rejected. You need to want that newer life style. When talking with some of the locals the worst things you could say is, "well back in (name any city) we did it this way". Any statement like that will get you nowhere but pushed out. My wife is from the UP, and I've know most the towns and back roads like the back of my hand, and never once have I run across an unfriendly local. Again, moving to a small UP town is a whole different life style for most, and you must want to live that life.

I agree with what you've said as it applies to anyone who moves to an area expecting locals to adapt to them instead of the other way around. However, the people I spoke of in my post weren't in that category. I think there is a misconception about the LP. The northern lower or any of our rural areas are not like the big cities in the southeast corner of the state. The UP isn't the only part of Michigan where there is small town life and outright isolation if one wants it.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:43 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
But wouldn't it be just the thing for the locals to have a massive influx of internationals move in, if only for a few weeks?
That is happening right now at Michigan Tech - all of the foreign grad students are moving in.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:41 AM

544 posts, read 901,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
This isn't Calumet-specific…but I've often wondered why the U.P. doesn't vie for the Winter Olympics. Yes, I know there's inadequate infrastructure. But wouldn't it be just the thing for the locals to have a massive influx of internationals move in, if only for a few weeks? The how-ya-gonna-keep-'em-down-on-the-farm phenomenon.
"Ah, so this is how modern people live!"
Winter Olympic sites need real mountains at least somewhere in the same vicinity.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
That is happening right now at Michigan Tech - all of the foreign grad students are moving in.
Are they moving in for good, or just staying for the duration of their undergrad / graduate education?

One thing I'm unable to understand in the process of my research is the population numbers of Houghton. According to the 2010 census, the population of Houghton proper is 7700, and if you look at the age breakdown, a huge percentage of those are in the 18-24 age bracket. So I'm assuming the the students, or most of them anyhow, are counted as city residents. The student enrollment is around 7000, plus another 1000 people employed by MTU, so that alone would push the population of Houghton above 8000. So what gives? If MTU were to be spirited away to another location, exactly how many residents of Houghton would remain? Not too many, I'm afraid.

However, the population of the Keweenaw is a bit over 36,000, spread out along the various villages and townships along the peninsula, with many of the high-end homes located on isolated rural tracts (and on the lakeshore of course). I hate to think what the oil or propane bill would be those in large houses. The villages of Calumet and Laurium seem to have the cheapest and most houses for sale, which makes me think a lot of people wish to get out of those towns, but the population of the Keweenaw is gaining overall, albeit at a slow, gradual pace.

Last edited by NorthStarDelight; 08-27-2014 at 06:07 AM..

Old 08-27-2014, 06:05 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,606,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
I agree with what you've said as it applies to anyone who moves to an area expecting locals to adapt to them instead of the other way around. However, the people I spoke of in my post weren't in that category. I think there is a misconception about the LP. The northern lower or any of our rural areas are not like the big cities in the southeast corner of the state. The UP isn't the only part of Michigan where there is small town life and outright isolation if one wants it.
I am also a little confused when people think they need to move to the U.P. to "get away from it all." There are places all over this state where that can be done.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:20 PM

130 posts, read 186,418 times
Here's another story in the Free Press today, front page no less, that describes a bit how life is up around the Calumet area in the Keweenaw Peninsula, And it's got nothing to do with snow or long winters:

John Carlisle: Ghosts, a haunted woods and precious rocks in the U.P.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:05 PM

983 posts, read 995,605 times
Sometimes I fantasize about coming back to Michigan but moving to the UP. I wonder how a LPer would be accepted? Probably not very much. I've spent my adult life on the west coast, would I be considered an outsider from being a LPer or being an out-of-stater? There's no way in h-e-double hockeysticks I'd ever step foot in the Lower Peninsula ever again. Never.

I'd love to live so close to the land. Winter is the best time for observing wildlife. Those tracks, are they bobcat, lynx, ect? Seeing a moose, I'd give anything to see a moose in the wild. I think I'd live a Jack London/Walden/Laura Ingalls Wilder lifestyle, only with a snowmobile instead of a sleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan