Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 01:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,217 times

Advertisements

Hello there, how is every buddy!

Am an international student and I will be moving from Seattle to East Lansing as my wife got admitted to Michigan state university and I applied to Kettering university in Flint. I will be living in East Lansing and drive every day to Flint excluding weekends and mostly depends on my degree schedule.

Do you thing its a dangerous place being second in crime rate ranking!! SPOOKY. or as long as am not living in it its not a big deal?. What do you thing please advise me. What to avoid and u know please save a life from doing a stupid thing.

I am peaceful and I adore nature I hate crowded places thats why am fleeing out of Seattle. Planning to finish my degree and go back home.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 07:09 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
Driving through Flint won't really be a big deal. Making that commute during winter will probably be a bigger deal.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:22 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
I suppose it's much like commuting to Detroit: you drive directly to your destination while avoiding the more dangerous areas whenever possible, keep your car doors locked, use common sense, and leave when you are finished.

That said, even Flint has areas that aren't terrible. Once you get here and see the area first hand, you will start to figure out where you should and shouldn't be. Always err on the side of caution and you should be okay.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:14 PM

123 posts, read 199,644 times
Isn't Kettering just a mile or so from I-69? You will hardly be driving in Flint at all. Pretty much Interstate all the way from Flint to East Lansing.

BTW, it's been years since I was at Kettering, but I remember the campus area being pretty nice. The problem will be the nearly 100 mile round trip day after day. Winter conditions can make that drive pretty tough.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:58 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Driving through Flint won't really be a big deal. Making that commute during winter will probably be a bigger deal.
I will second that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I suppose it's much like commuting to Detroit: you drive directly to your destination while avoiding the more dangerous areas whenever possible, keep your car doors locked, use common sense, and leave when you are finished.

That said, even Flint has areas that aren't terrible. Once you get here and see the area first hand, you will start to figure out where you should and shouldn't be. Always err on the side of caution and you should be okay.
I completely agree.

For the most part, your average citizen will not have issues with crime as long as you are smart. Kettering is not in the best part of town, but it also isn't the worst. Across from it is a giant, multiple square mile concrete pad. Literally. It is where most of the GM factories once were. They've been razed and it is literally concrete. To get from the expressway to Kettering, you will drive down a fairly busy road that goes through a fairly nice residential area. The road ends, so you make a couple of quick turns, and you are passing a field and the concrete pad that was once Chevy in the Hole. Then you are there. It really isn't an issue. Now, if you keep traveling north of Kettering on Chevrolet, once you cross Dupont, you are getting worse. Rapidly. South of Kettering (until you reach I-69), is generally quite safe.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:13 PM

6 posts, read 8,353 times
Since you're talking about the schools in Flint, what about Mott Community College? Do you think the areas are safe as far as going to school there? At one point I had thought about going to Wayne State, and I imagine it's the same kind of thing - go to school, don't walk around at night, and just be aware of your surroundings?

Old 11-07-2014, 11:42 PM

27 posts, read 50,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohaibkim121 View Post
Hello there, how is every buddy!

Am an international student and I will be moving from Seattle to East Lansing as my wife got admitted to Michigan state university and I applied to Kettering university in Flint. I will be living in East Lansing and drive every day to Flint excluding weekends and mostly depends on my degree schedule.

Do you thing its a dangerous place being second in crime rate ranking!! SPOOKY. or as long as am not living in it its not a big deal?. What do you thing please advise me. What to avoid and u know please save a life from doing a stupid thing.

I am peaceful and I adore nature I hate crowded places thats why am fleeing out of Seattle. Planning to finish my degree and go back home.

Cheers
Try to find a house or apartment in "Haslett", near the I69/Saginaw interchange. That will be a huge help to you!!!!

Old 11-08-2014, 06:45 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnicsmom View Post
Since you're talking about the schools in Flint, what about Mott Community College? Do you think the areas are safe as far as going to school there? At one point I had thought about going to Wayne State, and I imagine it's the same kind of thing - go to school, don't walk around at night, and just be aware of your surroundings?
Mott is fine. On one side you have one of the nicest areas of the city (College Cultural Area). On the other side, it gets rougher, but there is no need to actually go into it.

I've taken night classes at UofM-Flint. They had campus police patrolling and emergency phones everywhere. I haven't been on Mott's campus at night that I can recall, but I imagine they have a similar design. I know they have campus police patrolling.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:22 AM

239 posts, read 350,425 times
The commute from East Lansing to Flint would be around 40 minutes or so. I know people who make the commute in the opposite direction (Flint area to Lansing) and they seem not to mind it. If you have to stay in East Lansing (if you only have one car, for instance), I would recommend Haslett over anywhere else. Haslett is close to Saginaw highway, which provides a direct connection to I-69. Living IN East Lansing itself seems like a nightmare that I could not even begin to imagine. Nothing against the city itself but the downtown area is geared towards drunken college kids and their debauchery.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:26 AM

5 posts, read 8,329 times
sohaibkim121,

I am international student too and I did my masters at Kettering. I loved that place, and it is great that school has such a good reputation. I found a job quite easily after graduation (it does not hurt, that auto industry is looking lot of engineers at the moment). When it comes to Flint, it is not glamorous place, but I survived! so, has everyone else, that I know.
They say that north of university avenue is bad, don´t go there But other than that, it should be pretty safe. Just use common sense. I never heard anything bad happening to students, because of the crime.

East Lansing to Flint is a quite a drive, so good luck !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan