Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Michigan enact the National Popular Vote reform?
Yes 7 19.44%
No 28 77.78%
Undecided/No opinion 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 08:31 AM

792 posts, read 2,323,933 times

Advertisements

Should Michigan join the movement for a National Popular Vote?

This reform would mean that in a presidential election, Michigan would give all of its electoral college votes to whichever candidate received the most votes nationwide. So far, 11 states have enacted this reform.

Here's a more detailed explanation, taken from the website linked above:

Under the current system of electing the President, a candidate may win a majority of the Electoral College without having a majority of the nationwide popular vote. The National Popular Vote bill would reform the Electoral College by guaranteeing the Presidency to the presidential candidate who receives the most popular votes in all 50 states (and the District of Columbia). The bill would enact the proposed interstate compact entitled the "Agreement Among the States to Elect the President by National Popular Vote." The compact would take effect only when enacted, in identical form, by states possessing a majority of the membership of the Electoral College (that is 270 of 538 electoral votes). Under the compact, all of the members of the Electoral College from all states belonging to the compact would be from the same political party as the winner of nationwide popular vote. Thus, the presidential candidate who receives the most popular votes in all 50 states (and the District of Columbia) will be guaranteed a majority of the Electoral College, and hence the Presidency. Because the compact guarantees a majority of the Electoral College to the winner of most popular votes nationwide, the compact has the additional benefit of eliminating the possibility that a presidential election might be thrown into the U.S. House of Representatives (with each state casting one vote).

Last edited by tuebor; 12-06-2014 at 08:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 08:41 AM
chh

420 posts, read 652,844 times
So it doesn't matter what you vote, because Michigan could just forfeit all it's votes to the opposite party you voted for? What's the point of this?

Old 12-06-2014, 08:45 AM

^That could happen under the current system, too. The point is to guarantee that the candidate who gets the most votes is the one who wins the election.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:49 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,597,502 times
So essentially, the only states whose votes would make a difference would be the top 8 most populous states. Once a candidate wins California, New York, Texas, Florida, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Georgia, and Michigan, the other 42 states wouldn't need to vote.

Under the current system, if those same states all fell to one party, that wouldn't guarantee a victory. The rest of the 42 states still have a weight on the vote. In fact, there is still a chance for 9 additional states to swing the vote.

It's easy to say it's unlikely that would happen, but only because that's why we don't go by national popular vote. A populist vote favors states that can increase their population while depopulating the rest of the country.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:09 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,932,724 times
The present electoral college is flawed, not representative of a majority Americans, and plenty of things need to change, including rules for redistricting, dirty tricks, hackable voting machines, voter suppression, election fraud, lobbying, and campaign finance reform. I think the popular vote concept is a good one, but big money and lobbying now determines the menu of "acceptable" candidates whom we voters are left to select from.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:31 PM

animatedmartian: Not exactly. I'm guessing that a candidate could win 51% of the votes in each of the most populous states and still lose if the other candidate won by large enough margins in enough of the other states. I'm guessing because I haven't checked the population of these states. Would a simple majority in those eight states necessarily constitute a simple majority of the nationwide vote? Even if it would, that's a very diverse collection of states. Winning those 8 states would require a candidate who appealed to a very broad coalition of interests.

I think an urban vs. rural split or a split along class lines might be more likely than a split between more populous and less populous states, which may still be an argument against this reform.

One defender of the electoral college -- I forget where I read this -- suggested an analogy to the World Series: the winner is the team that wins the most games, not the team that scores the most runs over the entire series.

I'm having trouble weighing the pros and cons and thinking through the most likely consequences of this reform in my own mind, which is why I'm asking the question.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:44 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,681,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
animatedmartian: Not exactly. I'm guessing that a candidate could win 51% of the votes in each of the most populous states and still lose if the other candidate won by large enough margins in enough of the other states. I'm guessing because I haven't checked the population of these states. Would a simple majority in those eight states necessarily constitute a simple majority of the nationwide vote? Even if it would, that's a very diverse collection of states. Winning those 8 states would require a candidate who appealed to a very broad coalition of interests.

I think an urban vs. rural split or a split along class lines might be more likely than a split between more populous and less populous states, which may still be an argument against this reform.

One defender of the electoral college -- I forget where I read this -- suggested an analogy to the World Series: the winner is the team that wins the most games, not the team that scores the most runs over the entire series.

I'm having trouble weighing the pros and cons and thinking through the most likely consequences of this reform in my own mind, which is why I'm asking the question.
The "reforms" proposed are just another way to allow gerrymandering & take it to another level.

"Blue" states will "split" their delegates, and "red" states will be "winner take all"..

Thereby allowing the party of "no" to control far more territory than they earned..

A good article on the subject below..

Now they’re trying to steal 2016: The demented GOP schemes to rewire the Electoral College and elect a Tea Party president - Salon.com

Old 12-07-2014, 09:50 AM

^That's a different proposal (please read the first post). The GOP's attempt to selectively disenfranchise voters borders on treason, IMO. It is blatantly corrupt and subversive of our form of government.

I would much rather see the national popular vote program succeed than this latest GOP scheme.

Last edited by tuebor; 12-07-2014 at 10:02 AM..

Old 12-07-2014, 01:45 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,681,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
^That's a different proposal (please read the first post). The GOP's attempt to selectively disenfranchise voters borders on treason, IMO. It is blatantly corrupt and subversive of our form of government.

I would much rather see the national popular vote program succeed than this latest GOP scheme.
Different proposal, same outcome. Even if you're in a "compact" with other states, a state like Florida can have a "hanging chad" problem - and one of their options was to toss the election and have their legislature select a winner. do you "fall in line" because of your "compact"? - you might have to. What if other states in the compact are voted on diebold-esque machines and are suspected of being compromised?

Any changes to the college are going to benefit *someone*, and now that corporations are "people", and money = "speech", we're well on our way to getting the best government money can buy. The Waltons, the Bloombergs, the Koch's & the Ballmer's appreciate the unprecedented right to "speech" they now have.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:20 PM

^That doesn't follow. There's no reason to think it would work that way. You'll still don't seem to understand the proposal. The winner of the NATIONWIDE popular vote would get all the electoral votes of all the members of the compact. Florida could not do what you suggest if they were in the compact, because their legislature would have already voted to assign their electors to the winner of the nationwide popular vote, and even if they tried to pull something, it would at worst affect the vote count in only one state. This reform would make a "hanging chad" fiasco LESS likely.

Yes, money and corporate influence are serious problems--and this proposal would combat them. It is a democratic reform, not an oligarchic one. The question is whether it would go too far in that direction and lead to some sort of "tyranny of the majority" situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan