Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 12:41 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times

Advertisements

A lot of people associate saying "sir" and "ma'am" as good old-fashioned Southern morals. It seems to me, however, that a lot of people - particularly young males - frequently will say things like "thank you sir" to me. (I'm in my early 30s.) I tend to do likewise. Is this atypical or do you notice a lot of Michiganders saying "sir" and "ma'am," particularly in the under 40 age demographic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 01:02 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
A lot of people associate saying "sir" and "ma'am" as good old-fashioned Southern morals. It seems to me, however, that a lot of people - particularly young males - frequently will say things like "thank you sir" to me. (I'm in my early 30s.) I tend to do likewise. Is this atypical or do you notice a lot of Michiganders saying "sir" and "ma'am," particularly in the under 40 age demographic?

I believe we are NORTH of the Mason-Dixon? I ws taught to say Yes or NO, hello or goodbye. and Sir or Ma'am if they wore a uniform with more rank than than I had..

Southern Morals, next thing we will have WELFARE, RELIGION on every corner, Right-to Work, restrictive abortion laws, LOW PAY and a WALMART in every city....

Old 12-02-2013, 01:57 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
It seems to me, however, that a lot of people - particularly young males - frequently will say things like "thank you sir" to me. (I'm in my early 30s.)
Since you're over 30, having people address you as "sir" just means that they think you're old.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:30 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
I say sir or ma'am once in a great while, if someone I meet really makes an impression on me.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:55 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
How else would I address you as a stranger?

Would you rather I call you "Boy" or "Girl", or "My mans" or "Dude?"

Old 12-03-2013, 05:09 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
People, especially kids, rarely say "sir" or "ma'am" in these parts. I lived in the south for 30 years, and it's much more common down there. In Georgia or Texas, for example, most kids are not allowed to call adults by their first names, but I see it happen every day here. I am a die hard Midwesterner, which is why I returned to raise my family here, but this is one area that does irk me a bit. It's a respect thing, but of course the kids don't know any better because they aren't taught it, so I go with the flow.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:56 AM

261 posts, read 417,860 times
Quote:
A lot of people associate saying "sir" and "ma'am" as good old-fashioned Southern morals.
It's not just a "Southern morals" thing, as you put it, and it's not old fashioned. It's a good manners thing, and good manners doesn't stop at the Mason Dixon Line and good manners do not go out of style. People come here from other countries and they say "sir" and "ma'am", so it's pretty much world wide.

I was raised in Indiana and was raised to say Sir and Ma'am, to not only people in authority position, but to people we don't know. Say for example, you're in a restaraunt and need a waitresses attention, we's taught to say, when she passes by the table, "Ma'am, can you bring me some more sweet tea, please?" Or a stranger on the street, and you're not wearing your watch, we'd say, "Excuse me, sir, do you have the time?"

Say your on the phone, calling WalMart, when the person answers the phone, we'd say, "Yes ma'am, can you put me in touch with someone in the electronics department".

The other day I was at the drive thru at McDonalds's, and the girl repeated my order to verify she had it right, and I said, "Yes ma'am, that's right". I think she was not even 21. I'm 59. We say sir and ma'am without even thinking about it. It's as natural to say as the word "hello" when you answer the phone is. It's 2nd nature. The more you say sir and ma'am, the more natural it becomes for you. Pretty soon, you'll notice people you hang out with start to use those words, also. It's contagious.

It's good manners, and good manners is a reflection on your family. Being from a region outside the South is no excuse for not having good manners.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:01 AM

123 posts, read 224,373 times
As I get older I have been getting a few more sirs here in the Midwest but it is still not that common. I am even getting to the point where I get a few "Young Man" greetings which means I am getting old.

The greeting that I find amusing when I am down South is the "Sweetie", "Honey", or "Dear" from a female cashier or waitress.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:33 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoletsgo View Post
As I get older I have been getting a few more sirs here in the Midwest but it is still not that common. I am even getting to the point where I get a few "Young Man" greetings which means I am getting old.

The greeting that I find amusing when I am down South is the "Sweetie", "Honey", or "Dear" from a female cashier or waitress.
I know it is not considered PC......but I would rather be called "Sweetie", "Honey", or "Dear" than "Ma'am..........just about anything but "Ma'am".

I remember the first time I was called "Ma'am".......by a gas station attendant......I was in my late twenties. It was a shock.....I was like: "OMG......he thinks I'm OLD!

I am sixty now.....most definitely qualify as a "Ma'am"........but please.....PLEASE......call me "Miss".....it will make my day.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:36 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Call me anything but "guys."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: