Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 03:29 PM

9 posts, read 33,906 times

Advertisements

I am super positive about moving to Michigan & tell everyone I know that I am. I am excited about a fresh start & seeing the four seasons! I am very very excited about Michigan. And, for those who are reading... who think I will surely be dissapointed - you can be negative all you want but, I will not be dissapointed. I have made many many moves (and to places that others have called the "crapholes" of the U.S.... I loved every place I have been in) in my life & it is what you make it. I am so sad for so many people who "happen" to reside in Michigan that are so negative...I hope to throw some optimism your way & maybe show you the light of HOW BAD it really could be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 04:09 PM

84 posts, read 364,166 times
Well my Dad is still alive in Royal Oak and doing well. His 84th birthday is this Thursday and his health is still good. He's retired and on a fixed income and is doing okay financially, not really affected any longer by the job market there.

I visited him in October for a little more than a week. It had been a long time since I'd seen him and my home state too for that matter.

It was great to be back. I miss Michigan. I hope the troubles there don't last too long.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:19 PM

31 posts, read 89,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoSEMi View Post
I am super positive about moving to Michigan & tell everyone I know that I am. I am excited about a fresh start & seeing the four seasons! I am very very excited about Michigan. And, for those who are reading... who think I will surely be dissapointed - you can be negative all you want but, I will not be dissapointed. I have made many many moves (and to places that others have called the "crapholes" of the U.S.... I loved every place I have been in) in my life & it is what you make it. I am so sad for so many people who "happen" to reside in Michigan that are so negative...I hope to throw some optimism your way & maybe show you the light of HOW BAD it really could be.
I am so excited that I picked the UP to retire in. No more smelly oil refineries, no more walking outside and gagging on the bad air, no more crowds, no more smog, no more, no more, no more.
If you think it's bad UP there, move to Illinois. The sad part is, I have to wait two more years to live the "good life".

Old 01-16-2008, 10:01 AM

83 posts, read 387,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I'm training for my first 5K run coming up in March, and I've already met my goals for the pace I wanted to run it. Woohoo!
grats! Started training for a 5k last spring (but on treadmill). I had never run before. Took me 3 months to get to the point where I could jog 30 minutes nonstop. Only lost 10 pounds but man did I drop some clothes sizes!

Then came a knee problem. So I had to back off. I might try jogging outside in the morning come spring. I am still at a pretty slow pace 12m/mile. So a 5k would keep me running for longer then 30. Think I would pass out.

Didn't help that I really fell off the wagon around thanksgiving. Getting it back though. If it wasn't so icy I would probably go outside even in this cold.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:59 PM

31 posts, read 89,178 times
The best medicine is to have "a cup of shut the heck up and go for a walk". Get out there in the weather, bundle up and air our your mind. I am so happy I was able to walk again today and dream of living in da UP.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:21 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikes0000 View Post
grats! Started training for a 5k last spring (but on treadmill). I had never run before. Took me 3 months to get to the point where I could jog 30 minutes nonstop. Only lost 10 pounds but man did I drop some clothes sizes!

Then came a knee problem. So I had to back off. I might try jogging outside in the morning come spring. I am still at a pretty slow pace 12m/mile. So a 5k would keep me running for longer then 30. Think I would pass out.

Didn't help that I really fell off the wagon around thanksgiving. Getting it back though. If it wasn't so icy I would probably go outside even in this cold.
Thanks! I'm on a treadmill now with only a few outdoor runs under my belt. I've got my outdoor running gear now and looking forward to running outdoors this weekend (if the sidewalks and roads aren't too slippery). I don't mind the cold.

I'm with you that it took me a few months to work up to the 3.15 miles. I was dying out at about 12 minutes/1 mile and couldn't finish. Now I do 4 miles on average with no problems, at about an 8m/mile. Sorry to hear about your knee. Hope you can bet back on the wagon.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:28 PM

955 posts, read 2,157,642 times
Default Snow Blowing

Here's a positive post. I got up early a few days ago with about nine inches of snow on the ground. I put a pork roast in the crock pot with vegetables and potatoes, some wine, some spices, and turned it on. I put on my gear and got on the tractor to blow snow. It was beautiful - still dark and the white snow glistening (you know, not the yuk dirty snow like in the cities). I'm not angry - snow blowing at dawn is neat. Then I came back in to a really nice smell from the crock pot just starting to do it's magic. Then I showered and drove to work in my 4WD. Sixteen miles to the gallon - but I did not end up in a ditch. It doesn't get any better.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:55 AM

137 posts, read 532,538 times
My positive post for the day is.....Wooooooooohoooooooo, I finally get to meet my Jeegaroo today!!!! He's been such a great friend and help since we've known him!! I can't wait!!!!

Old 01-20-2008, 06:09 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
I live in Arizona, and Michigan is a better place to live any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:12 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
My positive post for the day is.....Wooooooooohoooooooo, I finally get to meet my Jeegaroo today!!!! He's been such a great friend and help since we've known him!! I can't wait!!!!
Have a great time! I always enjoy reading the posts from both of you, it comes across that both of you feel the same way I do about the UP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan