Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:42 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waves5 View Post
I'm sure someone who moves up here and hasn't sacrificed and lived up here their whole life will have better luck.
I'm considering moving up to the Traverse City area, and I must say that I'm very concerned about your feeling you're the only person who sacrifices, or that because I may not "need" a job when I move there means I sacrificed less than you. I served 21 years in the Navy. I think that's a sacrifice. I missed 5 years of my kids growing up while on deployments, I think that's sacrifice. Weigh your words before you use them. A wise person uses the words "sacrifice" for someone other than themself.

Quote:
But it makes me mad that someone who has lived up here their whole life can't even afford to live in their own backyard, and people from the city can move up here with their money and life the great life and still get a great view, not to mention the hundreds/thousands of seasonal residents. I have skills and ability to work hard, there just isn't jobs for a average skilled person, that pay enough to survive up here.
There are also people that work hard in "the city." When I got out of the Navy, I had to learn a whole new skill set to continue working so that I can afford to do the things I want. To suggest that you work harder in the rural or suburb areas than people in the city do is another ill-thought comment.

Wave5, I understand your point, but before you get angry at people taking offense to what you consider the truth, remember the "truth" is the perception of those receiving the information, not those sending it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 11:53 AM

22 posts, read 48,355 times
If you want to live up North make it happen. People find jobs, sure it's not easy and it may take a long time but it happens. My parents have always made a good living up there, probably because they work hard and make a postive contribution to the community. If you love nature and don't mind long winters it's awesome. Me, I haven't been able to find a job up there at all but i'm changing my career path towards something that will let me work wherever I want.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,376 times
This is a question, not a reply, but it is based on his issue. I need high speed internet to do my work, which I do from home and consequently would am thinking seriously about Upper Michigan. If I am in one of those lovely places by the side of the lake, wil I be able to get a high speed service?

Old 08-01-2008, 04:30 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
I'm in the Ludington area, and while not real far north some still consider it to be getting there. I have 10 Mb/sec and can go to 16 Mb/sec if I wanted to. Fastest I have had yet.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:24 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,961 times
If you are close enough to Lewiston, I'd be surprised if you couldn't get high speed internet. Garland resort is there and I would think their guests would expect it as a matter of course.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:49 AM

211 posts, read 548,675 times
FYI: Moving to Northern Michigan does NOT mean you'll have to haul water, get up at 5 am to hang laundry out, etc. We are not all hillbillies, 99% of us do have electricity, washers and dryers and indoor plumbing. It is certainly possible to have a great life here. We are in the Indian River area. My husband has been in Real Estate for 12 years now. I am a SAHM so we are a one income household, most years we make over $100K. We have 5 kids ranging in age from 10 mos. to 13 years. We bought this house 12 years ago...it was old and dilapidated, had been vacant and vandalized for 25 years. It is on a small private lake. We gutted the house and made it a spectacular log home. Yes, it took loads of work, my husband did the work himself to save $ and now we have a lot of equity. Our life is simple. I homeschool our children, the kids love to jump off the dock and swim, we are in a valley reminescent of the smoky mountains, so the fall colors are amazing. Winter is my least favorite season, I hate snow and don't go outside in the winter except to go to my car. If you like snowmobiling and skiing this is the place to do it.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:58 AM

211 posts, read 548,675 times
FYI: Moving to Northern Michigan does NOT mean you have to get up at 5 am to hand wash and hang your laundry, haul your water and wood. 99% of us do have electricity, washers, dryers and indoor plumbing! If you live like that it is by CHOICE, not necessity. We live in the Indian River area. My husband has been in Real Estate for 12 years, we are a one income household and typically make $75-$100K. I am a SAHM with 5 children ages 13 to 10 mos, I homeschool them. We bought our home 12 years ago. It was an old dilapidated and vandalized home that had been sitting vacant for 25 years. We gutted the house and made it a spectacular log home, it is on a private lake. My husband did nearly all of the work himself so now we have loads of equity. The kids love to jump off the dock and swim, we live in a valley reminescent of the Smoky Mountains so the fall colors are amazing! The winter is the worst, unless you like skiing and snowmobiling.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:03 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Default You go

Quote:
I live in Levering ... But it makes me mad that someone who has lived up here their whole life can't even afford to live in their own backyard, and people from the city can move up here with their money and life the great life and still get a great view, not to mention the hundreds/thousands of seasonal residents. I have skills and ability to work hard, there just isn't jobs for a average skilled person, that pay enough to survive up here.
I understand what your saying and I got jumped here for saying something similar in a different thread but we have a right to our opinion.
Part of it goes to what kind of life people are talking about. Sure someone can work their ass off in a couple of low paying jobs and afford a basic "normal" life up north, little house in town on a quarter acre or less - might as well be way downstate. Your still there and I'm assuming what you mean by backyard is just that.
But chances are they cant afford to buy lake property and if they can afford to buy acreage its low land with nothing particularly attractive about it, really the middle of nowhere, maybe an unserviced winter road. So like you having grown up in Michigan and working hard, the Air Force, college, the Air National Guard, civil service, now in Ohio, bootstrapping all the way - I can't afford a nice lake property and still responsibly plan for contingencies in retirement. What Kalamazoo said only supports it - many of the people who own lake property couldn't afford it today, the only reason they have it is that its been handed down over generations. Sure I could buy 20 acres of the cheapest low land and live in a trailer and there's nothing wrong with that but its not really the Michigan dream, at least its not my Michigan Dream.
As to the OP - I think you have gotten good advice here, you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and given some careful consideration and planning can probably make it work. I wish you all the best. You sound young enough to change course later if you want and that's a plus as well, take your chances early in life when there's time to recover financially.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:46 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,987,904 times
rathagos, waves5 never said she was the only one making sacrifices, she mentioned others she knew that also were struggling. she is just relating her opinion and frustration based on her life and her friends experiences, and there is nothing wrong with that. her point being she has sacrificed there for many yrs and still hasnt enough to buy a piece of land and enjoy the area. the 20 yrs you put in the military, was your own choice, that has nothing to do with trying to make a buck or keeping ones head above the water in upper michigan. quarreling about who sacificed more in life is rather silly.

i am thinking of moving to the northern michigan area, and find threads that highlight the positive and the negative, helpful. good luck to the original poster and all of us here.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:30 AM

27 posts, read 65,642 times
Theres no better way to put all these responses than absolutely understanding your going up into a depressed area that needs all the outside support they can get. Northern Mich. has been hard hit as any U.S. region, the cash exchanging hands up there has been the same amount for years, theres been no influx. I was born and raised in Alpena, I left in 1982, moved down south, metro area, things have not improved. I know for a fact theres some of the greatest folks, down home, go out of their way, give when they ain't got REAL people there. I miss up north Mich. but theres no way we could survive economically, my hats off to you that have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan