Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 11:20 AM

104 posts, read 241,722 times

Advertisements

Pretty straight forward. I received my first ticket around the beginning of the month. Granted I take the driver's responsibility online course to get the issued points removed from my record, I'll be paying a few cents shy of $160. Needless to say, that is quite a bit of money. The ticket is $120 whereas the online course costs an additional $40. Two points were issued as well.

Regarding the circumstances surrounding my ticket: I am guilty as hell. I was speeding, going 69 in a 55. The officer who pulled me, a State Police officer, over only cited me for five over, however.

In addition to questioning the likelihood that I might get the ticket reduced, I want to ask: Does anyone know if, when an officer grants clemency on a speeding ticket, does that only apply to the points involved, or is the fee impacted too? I am checking to confirm because it seems as if financially I am being ticketed at the 11-15 mph over limit tier, though I've gotten the one extra point off as if I were ticketed at a lower tier. I am not exactly a wealthy, so seeing the final price is a bit of a shocker since I was under the impression that I was getting a deal (I realize it will pay off later in reduced premiums).

To reiterate, I am also wondering if it is at all possible that the ticket might be marked down further if I decide to take it to court. I've already registered my ticket through the online system, saying that I am open to the course, but I still have the option to reject the offer granted through the system. I just want to know, based on the experiences of others, if it would be worth it or not to take that chance.

I don't have a sob story or anything, but again, $160 is a lot of money to me. I was driving to school, late for a class, on an empty stretch of road, though obviously the court would not know that since it is not identified on my ticket. I recognize that I did wrong, and that I am probably going to pay quite a bit of money for my mistake, but I want to get the best possible deal to minimize my own suffering.

Thanks for any input guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 02:23 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,304,561 times
I'd be more worried about points and the resulting insurance hike. It may end up more than $160 over the next couple of years. Usually they would offer you a "deal" where you pay a bit more but get no points. Unless the officer doesn't show up in court, or you have a pretty good evidence that he was wrong, his word carries over yours.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:15 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,735,425 times
If it is your first ticket, you can probably get it reduced to defective equipment if you take it to court. They usually will require you to take a defensive driving class and come back with proof.

Long ago when I was 16, I received a ticket about 1/8 of a mile after the speed limit dropped. I hadn't slowed down yet. I was able to get it reduced with a defensive driving class. I've never been pulled over for speeding since- I know I can't afford to pay, so I just don't speed. Well, 5 over. But that is it.

I also watched my local magistrate give the same treatment to 6-8 other people with their first tickets a few weeks ago. I received my second-ever ticket in February. This one was a parking ticket. The whole row of people were shifted because the lines were not visible due to snow and I was about 1/4 into a handicap spot. The other 3/4 was occupied by someone with a handicap sticker. I took pictures, fought it, and won.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:04 AM

104 posts, read 241,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Usually they would offer you a "deal" where you pay a bit more but get no points.
Yep. That's basically what I got. This process is done through a website now though, which seems to be specific to the county where the ticket was issued. You log on, register your ticket, at which point you are asked whether or not you want to take (and pay for) an online course to have the points removed. It is not guaranteed that you will get to take the course to lose the points however, as the local courts apparently have final say in determining your eligibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
If it is your first ticket, you can probably get it reduced to defective equipment if you take it to court.
I wish. I've thought about it and decided just to pay for the ticket and the points removal course. It is my first ticket, so fortunately the class was offered to me.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:14 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,845 times
WOW...had to look that up...I worked at a court for 20 years and never knew they had a course like that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan