Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,651 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone
my husband got a job in Troy, Michigan. and i want to know what's life like in Michigan?
any feed back about safety, entertainment, outdoor activities, expenses... will be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 05:35 PM
chh

420 posts, read 654,466 times
You should be a little more specific about what you mean by "what's life like in Michigan", but I can for sure tell you things are a whole lot cheaper here than in California. You'll be pleasantly suprised

Old 06-17-2015, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 5,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chh View Post
You should be a little more specific about what you mean by "what's life like in Michigan", but I can for sure tell you things are a whole lot cheaper here than in California. You'll be pleasantly suprised
thank you for your response. what can we do in our free time? is Troy a good place to live or should we look for a place nearby? what's the culture like?
I don't mean to be pessimistic. I came to the US and settled in California right away. I've been in Cali for 9 years now and i love it because the nature here reminds me of my home plus if i didn't go sight seeing there is always a new place we can go to and have fun

Old 06-18-2015, 05:46 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,911,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue88 View Post
thank you for your response. what can we do in our free time? is Troy a good place to live or should we look for a place nearby? what's the culture like?
I don't mean to be pessimistic. I came to the US and settled in California right away. I've been in Cali for 9 years now and i love it because the nature here reminds me of my home plus if i didn't go sight seeing there is always a new place we can go to and have fun
One bad thing about living in SE Michigan is most of the natural beauty is North and West of you. All the Great Lakes are awesome, but to really see the beauty of nature in Michigan you would have to do a bit of traveling from Troy.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:04 AM

999 posts, read 1,242,318 times
Are you planning on renting, or buying? What's your budget?

Do you have children / are you interested in schools?

What type of neighborhood do you like? (High rise apartment, near shopping ... or quiet tree-lined streets / neighborhoods)

What length commute are you willing to endure?

Do you want to be near in a particular ethnic group? (the greater Detroit area has large pockets of various ethnicities / nationalities).

As a previous poster said, lots of the beauty / nature in Michigan is Northwest of Detroit ... but, entire East side of Detroit is against water (Lake St. Clair, Detroit River, Lake Erie) so if you're into boating you can do it nearby. There are also many Metroparks, and an abundance of golf courses.

And there are still plenty of other things to do in the greater Detroit area. Professional sports, to art, museums, music history, auto history, etc.

You may want to post this or move it to the Detroit forum, as I believe the Detroit forum really encompasses the greater Detroit metro area of which Troy is part of.

Last edited by Regajohn; 06-18-2015 at 07:15 AM..

Old 06-18-2015, 05:14 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,148,000 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gagnnGKprBE

Old 06-18-2015, 06:55 PM
chh

420 posts, read 654,466 times
Troy is a great place to live, awesome schools and houses. You'd do great living in Troy, plus you'd have a short commute.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,505 times
I live in Troy, Michigan and I love it here. It is a safe area and the schools are top notch!

Do you have children?

Are you planning on buying or renting?

If you have questions, feel free to ask and I will try and help you best I can!!

Old 07-28-2015, 12:14 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,278,284 times
Detroit is actually convenient - you can take the train 4 hours and be in Chicago for weekend trips, take the train and be in Toronto in 4 hrs. It's only an hour flight to NYC/DC/Atlanta etc and the airport is a hub.

Kudos on the new job. Attitude is everything - if you come in and say "how do I make the most of it and enjoy my time" you'll be fine. If you come in thinking "everything is so X compared to prior location" - you'll always be miserable. That's your choice to make. Learn to appreciate each city for what it has to offer.

I learned that moving from DC to New York to Georgia to Michigan to New Jersey etc.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:00 PM

112 posts, read 213,097 times
We moved to Michigan about four years ago after living our entire life in California. Michigan is beautiful and green. Lots of water. Hunting and fishing are popular here. Costs - food is about the same. Sales tax is 6%. Property taxes are higher than California. i pay a lot more in property taxes in Michigan for a house with the same value in California. You can BUY a house in Michigan for much less than California - that is a huge plus for Michigan. State income tax is 4.25%. Gasoline is cheaper - generally. Auto insurance is very expensive. Michigan has the highest auto insurance rates in the country.

As far as feeling safe, Michigan has crime like anywhere else and it depends on where you live and knowing areas to avoid - somewhat like California. Overall, I find Michigan less threatening than California. California seems to have a lot of unrest and tension.

I am not one to go in for a lot of entertainment so I can't help you much on that. Michigan does not have Yosemite and the high mountains. I have been to Lake Michigan and it is very nice.

Michigan is cold in the winter. Be prepared for snow. They plow the roads very well and use a lot of salt. Front wheel drive vehicles are the way to go and chains are not allowed here. As you know, they make you chain up a lot in California. The summers are not sweltering like California - a big plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan