Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 05:12 PM

6 posts, read 3,736 times

Advertisements

I was terminated from employment in May. The employer failed to prove their case against me, but I was fired anyway. A grievance was filed. The UAW rep has not communicated with me. 3rd step hearing? I call and leave voicemails but never hear back from the rep.

What can I do? Termination was unjust. NEVER disciplined. Earned recognition awards for outstanding service. Performance reviews were always "meeting" or "exceeding" expectations at work.

Still very confused and bothered. Very peculiar.

Move on? Or, keep pushing forward? How?

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 12:39 PM

1,316 posts, read 749,163 times
Did you contact your steward, UAW Local leadership? Regional leadership? Who exactly?

Have you contacted your HR dept? Was this a termination or layoff? How does your contract address it? What exactly did you grieve? And at the meeting to determine the action (the grievance), was there a plan?

I know it seems like a really long time from your perspective. It may be the grinding gears & red tape are making things take longer than anyone would like.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:46 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,275,349 times
Why would you not move on? They clearly don't like you. Why would you voluntarily work in a place that doesn't support you. Life's too short for that.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:09 AM

396 posts, read 513,155 times
You need to contact your union rep to determine the status of your grievance and I would recommend you do so as time constraints are involved for each facet. However, leebeemi is correct, the wheels can turn slowly and the employer will likely drag things out as long as they can.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:36 AM

Thank you for the feedback.
My Union Rep never returns email inquires or my phone calls. calls. Her supervisor doesn't return calls or emails.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:39 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,552,465 times
You make need to make a personal appearance

Old 08-18-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Why would you not move on? They clearly don't like you. Why would you voluntarily work in a place that doesn't support you. Life's too short for that.
I agree. I guess bad things happen to good people.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Did you contact your steward, UAW Local leadership? Regional leadership? Who exactly?

Have you contacted your HR dept? Was this a termination or layoff? How does your contract address it? What exactly did you grieve? And at the meeting to determine the action (the grievance), was there a plan?

I know it seems like a really long time from your perspective. It may be the grinding gears & red tape are making things take longer than anyone would like.
Termination. I never received a copy of the actual grievance. A plan? I'm not sure. That sounds awful. I was never discipled before until this happened.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkBea View Post
You need to contact your union rep to determine the status of your grievance and I would recommend you do so as time constraints are involved for each facet. However, leebeemi is correct, the wheels can turn slowly and the employer will likely drag things out as long as they can.
I've tried contacting my union rep. Countless times. Nothing.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:54 AM

761 posts, read 833,337 times
I had a similar situation a few years back working in IT for a bank.
I had gotten continually great performance reviews.
I never received and verbal or written warnings about performance.
An incident happened, caused by me inadvertently, that resulted in a database crash.
A team mate and I worked all night and got it back.

I received a phone call from my manager the next day saying that he thought it would be a good idea if I did not come back to work and he would meet me at some parking lot to give me my personal belongings back. No where at any time were the words "you are fired/terminated" uttered. Nothing written, nothing verbal.

They wanted to deny me my UC. I got a fancy letter from their legal department stating the details of "their" case. I also was advised of a hearing with my UC office by phone.

I hired a lawyer. This guy had worked for the UC a while back and knew all the ins and outs.
On the phone call with UC and the bank, he ripped the manager a new ahole and tore him to shreds about not actually firing me, noting my excellent performance ratings, lack of warnings and dedication to fixing the issue that caused the database to crash.

My ex manager was basically speechless and sounded like a total numbnutz on the call, so the ruling ended up in my favor.

Get a lawyer who knows the rules!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan