Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 08:44 AM

334 posts, read 1,498,377 times

Advertisements

OK, I don't think I was clear with my other post (walled lakes), we are looking at buying in Troy and are considering one of the houses in a sub with a lake. I wanted to know what the pros and cons are, and if anyone has lived near one. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 08:35 PM

9 posts, read 43,917 times
Emerald Lakes is a very nice subdivision. I would live there.
I believe people should have the full picture so they can make an informed decision.. the following information may well not make a bit of difference in your decision.. approx 1/2-1 mile away, West of Dequindre, South of South Boulevard, East of John R, North of Square Lake Roads, was once a dump on the top 10 super-fund lists.. aprox information was that this was carefully walled off w/as I recall impenetrable clay.. on top of this is now a park...on the west side of the site is a man-made lake with homes newer than Emerald Lakes. Water quality in these lakes, I was told, is monitored for quality, & as they were man-made-(old quarries), algaecide-type chemicals are added to make the water safe for human use.
You can do you own investigations of these histories, to make the best possible decision to fit your family's needs..
bg
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgirl45 View Post
OK, I don't think I was clear with my other post (walled lakes), we are looking at buying in Troy and are considering one of the houses in a sub with a lake. I wanted to know what the pros and cons are, and if anyone has lived near one. thanks

Old 06-08-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btngal View Post
Emerald Lakes is a very nice subdivision. I would live there.
I believe people should have the full picture so they can make an informed decision.. the following information may well not make a bit of difference in your decision.. approx 1/2-1 mile away, West of Dequindre, South of South Boulevard, East of John R, North of Square Lake Roads, was once a dump on the top 10 super-fund lists.. aprox information was that this was carefully walled off w/as I recall impenetrable clay.. on top of this is now a park...on the west side of the site is a man-made lake with homes newer than Emerald Lakes. Water quality in these lakes, I was told, is monitored for quality, & as they were man-made-(old quarries), algaecide-type chemicals are added to make the water safe for human use.
You can do you own investigations of these histories, to make the best possible decision to fit your family's needs..
bg
Hmmm, interesting. I will have to look into that. Thanks for the heads up! I used to live in an area that was built on a pre-existing land fill. The rat situation was beyond anything you could imagine!!! I know that is a different situation, but if I had known about the landfill I probably would have purchased a home in a different area. Good to know.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:33 AM

9 posts, read 43,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgirl45 View Post
Hmmm, interesting. I will have to look into that. Thanks for the heads up! I used to live in an area that was built on a pre-existing land fill. The rat situation was beyond anything you could imagine!!! I know that is a different situation, but if I had known about the landfill I probably would have purchased a home in a different area. Good to know.
No rat or other vermin issues..just your usual wildlife in the burbs.. squirrel, deer, raccoon, very rarely seen coyote...actually saw a red fox one am on Atkins.. also, look over at treetops west of John R, & South of Square Lake Roads, there's a Great Blue Heron Rookery!
Though I have access to Thelma Spencer Park, just N. of South Blvd, E.of John R..& though claims are water conditions a-ok..its close access to the former superfund toxic site has kept me out of the water.. but that's just me.
This is the Great Lake State..hundreds of lakes in any direction without any dubious history.
Now however, you are informed so that you can, as a taxpayer-homeowner association member, inquire about water quality testing that will put your mind to rest.
bg

Old 06-10-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btngal View Post
No rat or other vermin issues..just your usual wildlife in the burbs.. squirrel, deer, raccoon, very rarely seen coyote...actually saw a red fox one am on Atkins.. also, look over at treetops west of John R, & South of Square Lake Roads, there's a Great Blue Heron Rookery!
Though I have access to Thelma Spencer Park, just N. of South Blvd, E.of John R..& though claims are water conditions a-ok..its close access to the former superfund toxic site has kept me out of the water.. but that's just me.
This is the Great Lake State..hundreds of lakes in any direction without any dubious history.
Now however, you are informed so that you can, as a taxpayer-homeowner association member, inquire about water quality testing that will put your mind to rest.
bg
Great info, thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan