Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:24 PM

51 posts, read 261,620 times

Advertisements

What is the going hourly rate for babysitters in the wayne county area? I'm a stay at home mom but occasionally would like to do a date night or have someone watch the kids while I go to the dentist (ugh) or wherever else I don't want them running around

What does a moms helper charge? (12yo on up who comes by to play with the kids for a couple hours in the afternoon while you stay in the home)

What does a highschool babysitter charge?

A college aged babysitter?

A mom who babysits in her own home?

Do babysitters in the area charge more for multiple children?

Are there children entertainment places that babysit your children???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 02:40 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Our twin daughters were charging $5/hour for the pair of them. They are 16 and one has a babysitting certificate from some training thing. Not sure what that means, but it includes CPR. they are very responsible and can handle any age (except 16 year old boys). They like to babysit together. It is more fun and if they need to they can take turns doing homework. With two of them, they can handle any reasonable number of kids. The most that they have done I think is six (four in the family plus two sleeping over).

We tied to tell them that they are too cheap, but they did not change it. Later they began telling people "We usually charge $5 per hour for both of us, but you should just pay us what you think is fair." Usually they get more than $5. One couple paid them something like $20/hour each. They were a young couple and obviously had no idea what to pay. We told them to give some of it back. I think that they offered it but the couple just said that they would pay them less next time. One lady only paid them $3/hour. I thought that was funny. ($1.50 per hour each. Is this the 1940s?).
She got a deal, but they were not interested in babysitting for her again.

One thing about the seemingly low price. They get as much work as they want and they can pick and choose. they usually pick the families that they like the kids the best rather than the ones that pay the most. They also like families that call them regularly, or better yet on a set schedule.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:10 PM

44 posts, read 181,822 times
Hi There, You might want to check out Sittercity: Find Babysitters, Nannies, Pet Sitters, House Sitters, Senior Care, Tutors and More. I viewed their website recently and they seem to have reliable and trustworthy sitters. You can enter your zip code and see if or who they have available in your area. Hope this helps...

Old 02-07-2008, 07:21 PM

334 posts, read 1,497,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Our twin daughters were charging $5/hour for the pair of them. They are 16 and one has a babysitting certificate from some training thing.
Wow! Sounds like a wonderful arrangement. I haven't had to use sitters very often....actually not in over 20 years (always had family around to help out). But when I did have them I always paid them their going rate then gave them a good tip. I figure a good babysitter is worth a whole lot, considering what they are taking care of.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:29 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,847,179 times
We pay $5/hour for our 12 year old neighbor, and there are also two girls on our street who are older (16 or 17?) who charge $8. The older girls have craft kits that they bring and have "babysitter training", with CPR certification. However, needless to say we don't use the older girls very often.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:20 PM

92 posts, read 367,023 times
Default baby sitting rates

Around here for high school sitters, the usual rate is around five dollars an hour for 1-2 kids and a dollar per each extra kid.
College age sitters probably get more but I don't know any.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:24 AM

313 posts, read 1,194,897 times
I have a 7 year old, 3 1/2 year old and a ninteen month old. We typically only use sitters from daycare, since they are used to mutiple children AND they know my 2 little ones and they have cpr, first aid and are at least 18. We pay $10 per hour and I always round up if we are gone for a bit longer than the exact hour mark.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:07 AM

845 posts, read 3,270,733 times
$10/hr. Round up every time. I tip the pizza man, I tip my waiter at a restuarant. I'm sure as heck going to make sure I'm rounding up for the people taking care of my kids.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:30 PM

418 posts, read 1,784,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suydam View Post
$10/hr. Round up every time. I tip the pizza man, I tip my waiter at a restuarant. I'm sure as heck going to make sure I'm rounding up for the people taking care of my kids.
AGREED. We pay our sitter $10/hour. We have 2 kids. We buy pizza before we go out, so we also feed her. She is an excellent sitter, and I don't mind paying her that much. I know my kids are in good hands with her, and I appreciate that.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:24 AM

304 posts, read 1,433,692 times
Another site I have found for sitters, housekeepers, senior care etc. is Care.com Caregivers: Babysitters, Nannies, Tutors, In-Home Senior Care Providers, Pet Sitters, Housekeepers, and Maids you also put in your zip code and it will bring up locals, their rates and times they are available. You can post for free your help wanted add too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan