Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 07:55 PM

68 posts, read 128,440 times

Advertisements

So, I've found about Traverse City.

1) What is it like there?
2) What jobs are big there?
3) Is it really my kind of place (compared to my native Seattle)?

I have more questions, but I can't come up with them yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 08:31 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,812,644 times
Traverse city is a small city with alot of big town amenities. (Its a tourist town) It is located in a very scenic area, right on the bay and only a short drive to the Sleeping bear dunes national park. What is it like?? Well thats a big question but in general its a nice place. It has four seasons weather, beautiful summer and fall, snowy winter and a wet slushy spring. Compared to Seattle you would find Michigan to be a conservative place, especially socially. Seattle is a trendy kinda hipster sorta place. You will not find that in Traverse city, or in many places in Michigan. You will not find alot of vegans, alternative lifestyles, social activists or occupy protesters. IN that respect Traverse City and Seattle are worlds apart. If you are trying to escape the things I mentioned then you will love TC. Jobs in Michigan are hard to come by, but Traverse city is doing better than some of its neighbors. I believe Munson medical is one of the largest employers there. Hope this helps.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:09 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,903,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgarfield View Post
So, I've found about Traverse City.

1) What is it like there?
2) What jobs are big there?
3) Is it really my kind of place (compared to my native Seattle)?

I have more questions, but I can't come up with them yet.
Whats it like? TC is a beautiful town right in the heart of some very beautiful area. You have Lake Michigan to the West with some of the nicest...most beautiful area in the country. The bays to the north which lead to Lake Michigan and Lake Huron. You can get in a boat and just go forever if you want, and then you have mostly wooded area to the east. There is a TON to do if you are an out-door person.
Unlike Seattle...TC is very small in comparison. You wont find huge buildings,skyscrapers, or the traffic. I believe the average age of the people who live there is 41 (I think I read...maybe younger)
There are tons of wineries and micro breweries scattered about, as TC is one of the hottest areas in the country for these two things. I could go on and on...mostly because we plan on moving there hopefully within a year, and I am always keeping up to speed on whats going on there.
The biggest employer is the Munson Medical Center, and so most of the jobs in the area are either medical or tourist related.
Only you will know if its your kind of place. I guess all you can do is visit for a week or so and get somewhat of a feel for what its all about.
Like Daniel said...the weather in the Spring(part of it), Summer and Fall cannot be beat. If you love snow...they do get a fairly decent amount so you can enjoy Winter.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:35 PM

68 posts, read 128,440 times
So it's rather quiet and rigid, in other words.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:10 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,903,538 times
I would say...if you are looking for a busy, lit up ,noisy party town...Traverse City...and most every other town in northern Michigan is not for you. Northern Michigan is basically all about beautiful scenery and outdoor activity. Traverse City has just enough amenities to be a great little town...nothing too wild and crazy, and this is basically how we like it. Again...its all about the great outdoors in this part of Michigan.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:54 AM

82 posts, read 300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgarfield View Post
So it's rather quiet and rigid, in other words.
I wouldn't say it's quiet and rigid, it's just a much smaller town. It's not like every nook of Seattle is super cool and trendy and extremely liberal. I was actually under the impression that TC was becoming somewhat of a progressive town - at least for a town of that size. Still, as mentioned, it's all about the outdoors and the natural scenery up there. You could do much worse than TC, MI. Go check it out!

Old 11-02-2012, 11:17 AM

265 posts, read 801,824 times
Very nice weather usually from June through October if you like the outdoors. Winter starts in November and it can be a long time until Spring starts again in May. Winters can have a lot of snow but also get used to overcast skies. The leaves from the trees are gone by the end of October and everything looks dead, brown and ugly. Such a difference with late spring, summer and fall. However, if you like to play in the snow and cold, it'll be nice for most of the year.

I have been to Seattle a few times and I guess it is difficult to compare a large city with a much smaller one like TC. But as others mentioned, it has all modern conveniences you may need. And I imagine cost for buying or renting a place will be much lower in TC.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:33 AM

365 posts, read 490,347 times
Pretty nice place; one of the better places in Michigan. They have a mall, Wouldn't really know of the big jobs... i don't really go there often. All though it's a decent size city, for Michigan that is.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:53 AM

82 posts, read 300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf67 View Post
Very nice weather usually from June through October if you like the outdoors. Winter starts in November and it can be a long time until Spring starts again in May. Winters can have a lot of snow but also get used to overcast skies. The leaves from the trees are gone by the end of October and everything looks dead, brown and ugly. Such a difference with late spring, summer and fall. However, if you like to play in the snow and cold, it'll be nice for most of the year.

I have been to Seattle a few times and I guess it is difficult to compare a large city with a much smaller one like TC. But as others mentioned, it has all modern conveniences you may need. And I imagine cost for buying or renting a place will be much lower in TC.
He's from Seattle!

Old 11-02-2012, 11:58 AM

265 posts, read 801,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Granger View Post
He's from Seattle!
For some reason, I remember Seattle from sunny days when I visited.

I guess the difference in weather between Seattle and TC is a bit colder and snowier during the northern Michigan winters. But I prefer that over mild and rainy winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan