Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 08:45 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,738 times

Advertisements

Hello all...

I'm a semi-retired Texan transplant looking at moving up north. I have a co-worker here who's been touting Michigan. He grew up outside Detroit and may consider retiring in Cadillac. I am looking for a little bigger city now (I live in a small city of 100k).

Can anyone give me some information about Traverse City? Are there any sub-sect areas that are better to live in than others? I was going to go to realtor.com to look at houses, but was wondering if anyone can point me towards better areas than others.

I'm retired Navy, and have been a contractor on a military base since my retirement. I would be looking to spend between $200-300k for a house (will that buy me a small bit of land with the house there?). I won't necessarily need work, but might want a job to have some "spending" money. My wife is a CNA now and is hoping to get her LVN license before we'd move up there.

Our kids will be out of school (or going to college) soon, so school districts for consideration are a large part.

We don't mind the snow (in fact, my wife is from Pittsburgh, PA, and we are looking to get back to somewhere WITH snow!!).

Any information you can have (positive or negative) is appreciated.

Thanks!

~Rath
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 09:56 AM

89 posts, read 337,042 times
Rath, Traverse City is a really nice area, but if you live in a city of 100,000 now and you say you are looking for a bigger city, you might have to look south below the Muskegon to Bay City line. Traverse is about 20,000 population in the city, but in the summer the whole area might swell to near 100k. We welcome you to Michigan!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:05 AM

Leadsquirter,

Thanks. I misspoke. What I meant was I was looking for a "bigger" city, meaning one over 10-20k people. Never said I was a clear communicator!

~ Rath

Old 04-21-2008, 02:39 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,786 times
lake ann is a nice area just outside TC...but a TC person would have to tell you more...have friends who live there as well as right in a nice area in TC.....

Old 04-21-2008, 07:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Hello all...

I'm a semi-retired Texan transplant looking at moving up north. I have a co-worker here who's been touting Michigan. He grew up outside Detroit and may consider retiring in Cadillac. I am looking for a little bigger city now (I live in a small city of 100k).

Can anyone give me some information about Traverse City? Are there any sub-sect areas that are better to live in than others? I was going to go to realtor.com to look at houses, but was wondering if anyone can point me towards better areas than others.

I'm retired Navy, and have been a contractor on a military base since my retirement. I would be looking to spend between $200-300k for a house (will that buy me a small bit of land with the house there?). I won't necessarily need work, but might want a job to have some "spending" money. My wife is a CNA now and is hoping to get her LVN license before we'd move up there.

Our kids will be out of school (or going to college) soon, so school districts for consideration are a large part.

We don't mind the snow (in fact, my wife is from Pittsburgh, PA, and we are looking to get back to somewhere WITH snow!!).

Any information you can have (positive or negative) is appreciated.

Thanks!

~Rath
Check out Leelanau County.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:25 PM

323 posts, read 1,131,940 times
I would second Leelanau County. It's one of the most beautiful areas. It's very rural, with cherry orchards and gorgeous sand beaches. The only thing most people would tell you about moving to that area, or Michigan in general, is that jobs are hard to come by. But if you're retiring, that shouldn't matter.
Good luck and welcome to Michigan!

Old 04-22-2008, 05:59 AM

845 posts, read 3,272,099 times
Traverse City is great.
Home within the city limits, within walking distance to downtown are pretty expensive for what you get, but if you pick the right spots, the homes are very well maintained, 75+ year old gems within walking distance of the bay and downtown. It's hard to argue with that lifestyle.

I will second the suggestions that you look at Leelanau County. There are several small towns (Glen Arbor, Leland, Northport, Suttons Bay) that all have nice homes around them, gorgeous scenery and are within a short drive of Traverse City. If you want to live in that "bigger city" you're talking about though, these are not going to be your preference as they are tiny towns in the off-season, 30-40 minutes from Traverse City's relative size.

You could look at Old Mission Peninsula too. You're a little closer to TC (depending on how far up the peninsula you live), and you get that same great scenery that Leelanau offers.

Lake Ann, as mentioned by someone else, is another great option...but it too is a little village, 15-20 minutes from TC. In all, I think Traverse City is pretty much the nicest part of Michigan for retirement. If there were more jobs, it'd be the nicest part of the state period.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:01 AM

Thank you all for replying.. I really do appreciate it. Now I have some places to look up on realtor.com.

Again, I appreciate your inputs!!

Rath

Old 04-22-2008, 11:16 AM

32 posts, read 96,608 times
I live in Kingsley, just a few minutes south of Traverse City. I think you will find the TC area a very nice place to be. Lot's of fishing if that's what you like to do. There is a good community college here, with great universities not too far away. If you like chinese food, there's plenty of that here too!

Old 04-22-2008, 03:59 PM

687 posts, read 2,032,608 times
I lived in Kalkaska in the mid-late 90's and loved it up there. A slower pace life but really enjoyed it. Elk Rapids, Kingsley, Lake Ann area are all places you might want to check out. I'm not sure what it's grown to be like but Acme was right between Traverse City and Elk Rapids. Interlochen might be of your interest as well? You almost can't go wrong up in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan