Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 04:42 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
^Sounds like you have some issues you need to deal with. Don't want to be anxious? Then leave 5 minutes earlier and chill out. Can't see around the truck? Fall back and/or pass. Don't want to wear out your brakes? Drive the speed limit or prevailing speed of traffic, whichever is slower. If you are braking a lot on the highway under normal conditions, then your driving habits are at fault. The size of your engine is of no concern to anyone else and should not determine how they drive. 70 is not too slow. If people insist on passing a car that is driving at the maximum posted limit, that is their problem.

Is anxiety more likely to kill you? Maybe, but you can do something to manage your anxiety, while you can't do anything to manage other drivers. Relax! You'll live longer. But agreed, people should not cruise at 70 or less in the fast lane.
Wrong. There is nothing wrong or abnormal with impatient people (aka type A). We push the envelope. We are necessary for our society/business world to function. You can ppick us out easily, we walk fast, talk fast, run on stairs, look around a lot, stay alert to everything going on anywhere nearby, push hard, work hard, and always want to keep things moving. We get antsy in long meetings that are long for no reason. We drive fast. Impatient people are going to be anxious if they feel they are not making adequate progress. I drive at a speed that I am comfortable is safe for conditions, my vehicle, and my physical condition and abilities at the time. What you do not seem to grasp, is we need to move along. There would be absolutely no point in my leaving 5 minutes earlier, or ten, or an hour. I do not need to arrive at a specific time. I get in when I get in. I am not in a hurry, I just do not like to waste time, or to feel like I am dwaddling along. Moving fast is comforting. Some people are just that way.

Have you been on a freeway? If so are you aware of what is around you? Trucks are in front of you, behind you, and alongside on the right. In front of the truck is another truck, then another and another. There may be some space between for a few cars, but the right two lanes are all loaded up with trucks. Trucks that you cannot see around or over. Safer to get away from them. The only place they aren't is in the left lane where they are not allowed. I am a proactive driver. I stay aware of what is going on several hundred yards ahead of me and behind. If someone is flying along, weaving, texting, white knuckled driving, two foot driving etc, I want to know it long before I am anywhere near them. Staying out from behind trucks allows me to see what is ahead and behind. It makes for safer driving to stay aware of your surroundings for a long distance - try it.

Sorry, but the only way to save your brakes when you are being a two footer or a nervous nellie is to get out from behind them. You can be way behind them and if they see a plastic bag blowing along the shoulder and jam their brakes on, you are going to have to brake. Staying away form such drivers, not trailing behind them at any distance, is safer - try it. It works much better and you will be safer. And BTW, if you happen to be a two footer, or a nervous nellie, please please please practice some more and get comfortable controlling your vehicle before you go back on the freeway again. Learn to drive with one foot. This will help keep from repeatedly hitting the brake pedal for no reason.

As I said, I do drive the prevailing speed, just the prevailing speed of the left lane where there are no trucks. That prevailing speed happens to be 80 - 85 most of the time which suits me perfectly in most conditions. If there is some problem condition (e.g. snow) and the left is still going 85, I will get over with your unsafe/inexperienced dwaddling drivers and the trucks, but I try to avoid both. Safety is paramount.

70 is too slow for the left lane. It is rude and dangerous. (and stupid). Why create a safety hazard and anger other drivers, risk triggering a road rage incident etc, just to be a snert. The is no justification for dwaddling along in the left lane. 70 is slow for the middle lane in most cases here. 70 belongs in the right lane or lanes. If you want to dwaddle, fine, but stay right, you are endangering yourself and others (being rude too).

As you get more experience driving on freeways in different conditions, you will learn these things. Eventually they will come naturally to you. Until then, please stay right until you get more comfortable with your vehicle and how things work on the freeway. Avoid being a threat to yourself and others and never be a snert. Everything will be better for everyone then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 07:03 AM

998 posts, read 1,237,346 times
Raising the speed limit??? It is a money saving ploy by the state!!! They figure if they can get the drivers going fast enough they will avoid spending $$$$ on road repairs ... because you won't actually fall into potholes, you'll fly over them!!! ;-)

Old 01-29-2017, 02:02 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
Raising the speed limit??? It is a money saving ploy by the state!!! They figure if they can get the drivers going fast enough they will avoid spending $$$$ on road repairs ... because you won't actually fall into potholes, you'll fly over them!!! ;-)
Raising the speed limit 5mph isn't going to make that much of a difference.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:49 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Canada has lower speed limits. 100 km or 62 mph is the highest I saw in Ontario. I assume that is mostly due to the higher cost of fuel. I found that to be a reasonable cruising speed. Driving faster to get somewhere a few minutes earlier will probably cost more in fuel and maintenance than I could make in that few minutes at work.
The speed limit in Alberta is 120 kph (74mph).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan