Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 09:40 AM

543 posts, read 1,382,245 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife has a possible job opportunity in Howell that she's looking into. We're investigating options for where to live but the kicker is that we want our daughter to attend a Spanish immersion daycare/preschool. It looks like there are a couple of options for that in Ann Arbor. Additionally, I may or may not be able to bring my job with me. I work in Healthcare Administration/Finance and if I cannot bring my job with me it look like there are some options for me to consider at UM.

With all of that said it looks like the only reasonable spot between the two is Whitmore Lake. Does that sound about right to you? If so how bad would the commutes get during the winter? We grew up outside of Chicago so driving in the snow isn't an issue for us even though we live in Texas now.

Whitmore Lake looks to be a pretty small community which wouldn't bother us a ton but it looks like there isn't even a grocery store in the area based on Google maps. So I'm guessing we'd be doing most of our shopping/entertainment in Brighton/Ann Arbor, is that correct?

It looks like there is a Spanish immersion daycare in Clawson but there doesn't seem to be a great mid-point outside of Novi. And I don't know that there would be very many jobs for me to pursue in the Clawson area.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 11:07 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Whitmore Lake, at least part of it, borders Ann Arbor. If I were commuting between Howell and Whitmore Lake I would consider somewhere along D 19 towards Pinckney. D 19 gets you into Dexter and then Zeeb Road is a quick drive to Ann Arbor's west side. North Territorial will get you top the north side of Ann Arbor and you miss all the traffic on US 23.

There is a rainbow center preschool in Oceola Township that has Spanish.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Whitmore Lake, at least part of it, borders Ann Arbor. If I were commuting between Howell and Whitmore Lake I would consider somewhere along D 19 towards Pinckney. D 19 gets you into Dexter and then Zeeb Road is a quick drive to Ann Arbor's west side. North Territorial will get you top the north side of Ann Arbor and you miss all the traffic on US 23.

There is a rainbow center preschool in Oceola Township that has Spanish.
Awesome! Much appreciated. It looks like their facility in Chelsea also has Spanish immersion so if I work from home that wouldn't be too bad a trip to drop off and pick up. And the one in Oceola might make Brighton available to us if I work from home as well.

Thanks for the note on Pinckney and it looks like Township of Hamburg might work as well. We'll check them all out.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:00 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezman View Post
Awesome! Much appreciated. It looks like their facility in Chelsea also has Spanish immersion so if I work from home that wouldn't be too bad a trip to drop off and pick up. And the one in Oceola might make Brighton available to us if I work from home as well.

Thanks for the note on Pinckney and it looks like Township of Hamburg might work as well. We'll check them all out.
Seriously consider Howell, around Genoa Township. I would avoid Brighton Township (different from City of Brighton) as the township has OUTRAGEOUS sewer and water bills. The City of Brighton is a buyer's war for housing. My sister in law just listed their house in downtown Brighton and sold it in 3 hours for CASH just above asking price.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:09 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,650 times
If it turned out you worked at the U, and your daughter was in preschool in Ann Arbor living in Ann Arbor ain't a bad idea. If your wife was commuting north on 23 to Howell that is not nearly as bad as commuting south. It would mostly be a reverse commute. Most of the traffic on 23 comes toward Ann Arbor in the morning and away in the evening. A morning commute from A2 to Howell is a lot faster than the reverse.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Seriously consider Howell, around Genoa Township. I would avoid Brighton Township (different from City of Brighton) as the township has OUTRAGEOUS sewer and water bills. The City of Brighton is a buyer's war for housing. My sister in law just listed their house in downtown Brighton and sold it in 3 hours for CASH just above asking price.
We'll check them all out. Housing is buy's war here in the DFW area as well. We'll be renting for at least a couple of years to get to know the area before we buy anything anyway. So maybe things will have settled down by the time we decide to buy.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
If it turned out you worked at the U, and your daughter was in preschool in Ann Arbor living in Ann Arbor ain't a bad idea. If your wife was commuting north on 23 to Howell that is not nearly as bad as commuting south. It would mostly be a reverse commute. Most of the traffic on 23 comes toward Ann Arbor in the morning and away in the evening. A morning commute from A2 to Howell is a lot faster than the reverse.
Interesting. We'll look into this as well but I'm not sure how my wife would feel about a 30-ish mile commute. Looks like time wise it's doable from the north side of Ann Arbor probably have to drive it if we visit to see if distance wise it's doable. Thanks for the tip.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:33 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,650 times
Another side bar if you can get in at the U the benefits are through the roof. My wife started there several weeks ago after years in the private sector and she/we are bowled over by the benefits. They pay is good but the bennies are spectacular.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Another side bar if you can get in at the U the benefits are through the roof. My wife started there several weeks ago after years in the private sector and she/we are bowled over by the benefits. They pay is good but the bennies are spectacular.
Good to know, I'm assuming they have a 403b and a 457 so you can stash away $36,000 for retirement vs. the usual $18,000. My wife currently has access to both but won't in the new position. It'd be nice to have that available if we move to MI.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:22 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
Quote:
I was going to say this as well. Since it is a reverse commute, traffic will be pretty negligible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan