Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 5,541 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon,

Me and my girlfriend have been considering moving in together this fall and attending Baker College together. I've done a small bit of employment research and I've noticed your state is in a pretty sticky situation economically.

She already lives in Muskegon, and holds a decent job, enough to pay rent anyhow but what about my chances at finding work? I'm a 20 years of age and I'm majoring in Elementary Education. I do have a small amount of money saved up, enough to pay 2-3 months of rent in case of an emergency or something falls through.

I ask those of Michigan, Muskegon area or not, how successful do you think this move would be as far as finding work, and living costs in Muskegon. I turn to ask you this information because I cannot rely on just one source, my gf.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 03:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,806,156 times
I'm not up there in Michigan but I think the same advice would work almost anywhere but especially where the economy isn't real hot, just make sure you have a job lined up before moving.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:25 PM

792 posts, read 2,328,904 times
If you're just looking for an entry-level unskilled job to pay the rent while you're in school, you'll probably find something. If you're looking for a decent job, that will be harder to find in Muskegon.

But why Baker? Muskegon Community College is much cheaper and the credits will transfer to public Michigan universities. It's literally just down the road from Baker, so you and your gf can easily ride together to school. After you get your associate's degree and establish residency, you can transfer to Grand Valley State U. It's a much better school than Baker, and it's only 45 minutes away from Muskegon. Or finish school where you are (if there are good educational options there) and then move to Muskegon.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:51 PM

39 posts, read 123,028 times
Dear BC,
I'm glad that I stumbled onto your blog. I graduated from Baker College of Owosso last year majoring in elementary education with a content area of language arts. Baker has a great program. The problem...is Michigan's economy is absolutely horrific for teachers!! You can't buy a teaching job in Michigan and will have to move out of state to get a teaching like all the rest of us Baker grads had to do. Taxes are high, gasoline is high and tuition for school is high! Also, when you are ready tograduate in your senior year you will have to take the MTTC (Michigan Test for Teacher Certification) along with PRaxis II examinations. You will have to be tested twice and pay the cost of being tested twice. All of the other states require the Praxis examinations...Michigan doesn't and instead has the MTTC, which was really put in place to keep out of state teacher candidates from coming to Michigan. Unfortunately,...it has had the reverse effect of keeping Michigan teachers in because other states do not recognize the MTTC! I've traveled to Muskegon and like the area as it is on Lake Michigan. I grew up in Genessee county and later lived with my family in Saginaw county, Chesaning, Michigan. Michigan has gone to the dogs compared to what it was when I was growing up as a kid. Really...you'd be better off getting your teaching in another state.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:26 AM

16 posts, read 44,008 times
Default Muskegon?

Don't move to Muskegon. There isn't much here as far as employment. You are better off living in Grand Rapids or Ann Arbor, if you truly want to find a decent job. Norton Shores is the only area of Muskegon I would consider living in. Muskegon, itself, is run down and going no where. Trust, me I have lived here off and on for 30 years, and its not a place to live, if you want a decent job, unless you are in the health care field. I am moving down to Florida in a couple of months. If I had to come back to Michigan, it would probably be around the Ann Arbor area, as they still have some decent jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcbooker View Post
Good afternoon,

Me and my girlfriend have been considering moving in together this fall and attending Baker College together. I've done a small bit of employment research and I've noticed your state is in a pretty sticky situation economically.

She already lives in Muskegon, and holds a decent job, enough to pay rent anyhow but what about my chances at finding work? I'm a 20 years of age and I'm majoring in Elementary Education. I do have a small amount of money saved up, enough to pay 2-3 months of rent in case of an emergency or something falls through.

I ask those of Michigan, Muskegon area or not, how successful do you think this move would be as far as finding work, and living costs in Muskegon. I turn to ask you this information because I cannot rely on just one source, my gf.

Thank you!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:59 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,351,773 times
Having lived in Muskegon off and on myself, I tend to agree with the previous replies. My wife and I are looking to move from here (if we can even sell our house) to KY or TN where the economy and weather are much better. Muskegon is trying to improve, but in a city with such a high crime rate and businesses/airlines leaving town, good luck. Not saying it won't happen, but I'm not sure we wanna stick around to find out. Beautiful beach though.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:01 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,520,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
Muskegon is trying to improve, but in a city with such a high crime rate and businesses/airlines leaving town, good luck.
Just to ask. Is a lot of the crime there gang related or is more related to the area being economically depressed?

Old 08-22-2008, 06:25 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,351,773 times
Muskegon has a long history with higher than usual crime. Perhaps a good deal has to do with economics (like the chop shop that was just found). I don't think much has to do with gangs, but I don't live downtown so maybe another poster can better answer this. I hate to say it, but there are a lot of registered sex offenders here and this area has a very high rape percentage. Like any city there are good parts and bad parts. It's too bad because the beach and sand dunes are so nice.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:02 AM

18 posts, read 47,987 times
I have lived in Muskegon all of my life and I was lucky to get hired, as an elementary teacher, in 2000. My district hired around 40 people then. Since then, the numbers have dwindled to maybe around 4 a year and those are usually people at the secondary level!! I have heard, from substitutes who are certified BTW, that about 500 people are applying for each job that becomes available. This is why our sub list is HUGE!
The quality of life in muskegon is also not great...not much to do except frequent the beaches in summer. Not much of a social scene going on.
I am one of only 3 of my college educated friends and family who are still in Muskegon...they couldn't find jobs in their fields.
Me and my husband are currently planning to move out of state to give our children better opportunities as they grow up. That is if/when we can sell our house!

Old 08-22-2008, 10:03 AM

792 posts, read 2,328,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twill View Post
I have lived in Muskegon all of my life and I was lucky to get hired, as an elementary teacher, in 2000. My district hired around 40 people then. Since then, the numbers have dwindled to maybe around 4 a year and those are usually people at the secondary level!! I have heard, from substitutes who are certified BTW, that about 500 people are applying for each job that becomes available. This is why our sub list is HUGE!
The quality of life in muskegon is also not great...not much to do except frequent the beaches in summer. Not much of a social scene going on.
I am one of only 3 of my college educated friends and family who are still in Muskegon...they couldn't find jobs in their fields.
Me and my husband are currently planning to move out of state to give our children better opportunities as they grow up. That is if/when we can sell our house!
I'm afraid I don't understand this statement about the quality of life. I've only lived in this area for a year, but it seems to me there is plenty to do. In the summer, there is some kind of festival or special event going on just about every weekend in Muskegon or within a 30-minute drive. Take a look at the listings in the Thursday Muskegon Chronicle. I'll admit that the bars and nightclubs in the area are generally lame, but there are lots of more interesting things to do anyway. The Frauenthal Theater, Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp, Howmet Theater, and Muskegon Museum of Art cover the fine-arts bases pretty well for a city this size, not to mention offerings by local schools and colleges. There are state parks, bike trails, a minor league hockey arena, and oddities like a decommissioned sub to visit. For movies, we've got a multiplex, a second-run theater, an art house, and even a drive-in, not to mention the free outdoor movies on the LST. I've met several friendly people through church and through the yacht club (you don't have to be a member to join a crew; if you know how to sail, PM me for more info). I don't know how it is for natives, but I would tell newcomers that if you're willing to try new things and get involved, you'll meet people and find fun stuff to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan