Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 03:01 PM

146 posts, read 174,130 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are going to drive up through MI and then back down through WI. We are in no rush. What is the prettiest way to drive? Best places to stay/hike? Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 05:24 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Which side are you coming from?

Once you get to the UP there are some places you should not miss. Taqumenon Falls, and Canyon Falls may be the best. There is some great hiking int he mountains. You can take a kayak tour of pictured rocks from Munising.

IF you like touristy things go out to Machinac Island.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:32 PM

146 posts, read 174,130 times
Well, we are coming from MD. We are flexible as to route.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:30 PM

89 posts, read 336,952 times
Definatly go up the west coast US-31 to Manistee then catch M-22 along Lake Michigan seeing Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Continue on M-22 to Traverse City where you can catch US-31 again all the way up.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:31 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver110 View Post
Well, we are coming from MD. We are flexible as to route.
Take I-90 through Ohio and then Indiana over to South Bend and then head North on US-31, that would be a good starting point into beautiful West Michigan. It switches to I-196 for a while between St Joe and Holland, but then starts up again as US-31. This will take you through a ton of great coastal towns. The best stops are South Haven, Saugatuck/Douglas (an internationally recognized artist enclave, also check out Mount Baldhead and Oval Beach), Holland (cut over to Lake Michigan/Holland State Park and take Lakeshore Drive up to >>>> Grand Haven (walk the boardwalk from downtown out to the pier and beach), Norton Shores/Hoffmaster State Park (near Muskegon), Whitehall (stop at the White River lighthouse), Pentwater, Ludington, and Manistee.

When you get just North of Manistee jump off of 31 and get on M-22. It's rated one of the most beautiful driving routes in the country and even has a brand of apparel. There are way too many things to see along M-22 to even begin. There are entire online guides to M-22 and Leelanau.

Definitely stop in downtown Traverse City. In Traverse City you're back on 31 again that runs up through Elk Rapids, past Torch Lake, Charlevoix, Petoskey and Bay Harbor. In Bay Harbor be sure to jump off 31 and take M-119 along the shoreline and through the "Tunnel of Trees." Then through Cross Village and be sure to stop at Leg's Inn.

You're then just a hop skip and a jump from Mackinaw City. A day/overnight on Mackinaw Island would be a good stopping point. Mission Point Resort is our favorite place to stay there. It's massive and has a lot of history, and parts of it are supposedly haunted which adds to the fun.

I'm not a UP officionado so after you leave St Ignace other people can probably tell you the best places to go.

I do remember visiting Iron Mountain once when I was a kid and it was really pretty there.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:35 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
You could go up through Canada and stop at Niagara falls. Cross the Ambassador bridge (not bluewater) and visit Detroit (especially on a Friday), then either go up I-75 to the Tawas area and then to the bridge, or cross over on I 96 to the west side of the state and see the dunes and Traverse City and then go up to the bridge.

Another option is to cross through Ohio and visit Shipshewana (Amish town in Indiana right ont he Michigan border), then swing up and west to Lake Michigan shoreline.

Do not waste too much time on the LP if you are running out of time. The UP is the most wildernessy/beautiful place.

When you pick the cites or areas you will visit list them and people hwere will give you all kinds fo things to see and do.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:27 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,752,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsquirter View Post
Definatly go up the west coast US-31 to Manistee then catch M-22 along Lake Michigan seeing Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Continue on M-22 to Traverse City where you can catch US-31 again all the way up.
We took that way up last year very nice drive M-22 will keep you on your toes defiantly not a straight road.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:42 AM

110 posts, read 170,432 times
Keep in mind that thousands of other people also think the western MI coast is beautiful, and they'll be sharing it with you in the summer. I'm not saying you shouldn't go—just adjust your schedule/plans to account for a lot of other people enjoying the sites at less than the top possible speed. There will probably be fewer tourists on the east side, especially once you get north of Saginaw Bay, and there are some beautiful areas around Lake Huron (I'm from Alpena and a bit biased). But you won't get the Sleeping Bear Dunes or Leelanau County wineries there.

Once you get to the UP, I'd recommend going north on 75, cutting west on 28, and then north again on 123. That'll take you up to Lake Superior and then south to the Tahquamenon Falls area. After that 123 will dip down to 28 which I'd take over to Munising and swing by the Pictured Rocks shore, then head over to Marquette, and then up the Keewenaw Peninsula. After the Keewenaw it's not too far to WI and the Apostle Islands, which are lovely.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:17 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Take I-90 through Ohio and then Indiana over to South Bend and then head North on US-31, that would be a good starting point into beautiful West Michigan. It switches to I-196 for a while between St Joe and Holland, but then starts up again as US-31. This will take you through a ton of great coastal towns. The best stops are South Haven, Saugatuck/Douglas (an internationally recognized artist enclave, also check out Mount Baldhead and Oval Beach), Holland (cut over to Lake Michigan/Holland State Park and take Lakeshore Drive up to >>>> Grand Haven (walk the boardwalk from downtown out to the pier and beach), Norton Shores/Hoffmaster State Park (near Muskegon), Whitehall (stop at the White River lighthouse), Pentwater, Ludington, and Manistee.

When you get just North of Manistee jump off of 31 and get on M-22. It's rated one of the most beautiful driving routes in the country and even has a brand of apparel. There are way too many things to see along M-22 to even begin. There are entire online guides to M-22 and Leelanau.

Definitely stop in downtown Traverse City. In Traverse City you're back on 31 again that runs up through Elk Rapids, past Torch Lake, Charlevoix, Petoskey and Bay Harbor. In Bay Harbor be sure to jump off 31 and take M-119 along the shoreline and through the "Tunnel of Trees." Then through Cross Village and be sure to stop at Leg's Inn.

You're then just a hop skip and a jump from Mackinaw City. A day/overnight on Mackinaw Island would be a good stopping point. Mission Point Resort is our favorite place to stay there. It's massive and has a lot of history, and parts of it are supposedly haunted which adds to the fun.

I'm not a UP officionado so after you leave St Ignace other people can probably tell you the best places to go.

I do remember visiting Iron Mountain once when I was a kid and it was really pretty there.
Why are you not a fan of the Upper Peninsula? Without the UP, the totality of Michigan's natural beauty would be significantly diminished.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:40 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Why are you not a fan of the Upper Peninsula? Without the UP, the totality of Michigan's natural beauty would be significantly diminished.
My Dad grew up near Sault Ste Marie and still has family up there. As a kid we went up multiple times a year. Once you got North of the Mackinaw Bridge, it was pretty depressing (for me).

I know people are pretty crazy about the UP so I'll leave it at that.

But I noticed that no one has suggested a route through the UP portion over to Wisconsin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan