Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2018, 06:18 AM

522 posts, read 1,856,056 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I maybe taking a job in East Lansing (relocating from northern Virginia). And quite frankly I have a lot of questions due to our family's lifestyle and whether or not it can be met in this area of Michigan. I have been reading up quite a bit on Michigan in general and the Lansing/Grand Rapids/A2 area and would love yalls feedback. I feel a bit confused on which areas are safe because I'll read that a particular city/area is good but then also find statistics that show crime rate is high....I guess a city can be good and still have high crime; that's where I need some insider help. And FYI we relocated to 2009 Memphis area I had the same concerns but found the suburbs and surrounding cities of Memphis were safe...so I hope this is the case here as well.

Below is some info about us followed by some questions:

1) Wife and I are in our mid 30s with 3 young kids (11, 8, 3,), so safety is a priority;
2) We home school but plan to take advantage of the home school program of participating in non-core classes (ie music, PE, etc). Our kids are also involved in music (piano, violin) and gymnastics. We would like to be in a good school district not just for our children but also I believe it would help in the marketing of the home when we need to sell in the future;
3) We are Filipino (asian) we like a diversity of different cultures and to be in an area that accepts diversity
4) We are a plant based family and eat lots of fruits and vegetables (especially Asian veggies), preferably organic and non-GMO for our fruits. We eat a lot and typically will shop at costco/BJs for bulk items and the international market for Asian veggies. We also like to go to farmers market or directly to the farm/orchard for produce
5) For housing I'd prefer to have at least an acre (in Tn we owned 15acres, and currently we're on 7). Mainly to have our own space for privacy, recreation, gardening, and if possible have chickens/bees. 1/2 an acre would be doable if in the right location
6) Housing budget I'd like to be at $350k or below
7) I'd like for my commute to be 45mins or less (though I am used to 1+ hr commute. My current commute is 2hrs and 15 mins one way to work....I'd like to be a bit closer this time around)
8) we like the out doors and would prefer more natural activities (ie hiking, fishing, kayaking, swimming, etc) than going to the mall, movie theater, roaming around downtown, etc.

By getting to know us a bit more.I need your help on:

1) finding a family friendly safe city/neighborhood to raise my family with a decent sized property .5acres+ and within a good school zone (I prefer no HOA). What cities/neighborhood/area do you recommend.
2) be within 45mins of east Lansing (I can go up to an hour if the location is just right). How is traffic? Any particular roads to avoid?
3) have access to an international market, farmers market, orchards, health food stores
4) How bad does it snow there (does it snow a lot)? We are not used to snow so this will be interesting as I heard michighan gets lots snow (we have an AWD SUV and a vw passat, and we're thinking of getting a minivan). Our friends recently moved to Cheboyagan, Mi and they sent us a Christmas card and yea it was a lot of snow. When it snows a lot do schools and businesses shut down or is it business as usual?
5) Does Michighan get a lot of sun, I heard that there can be a lot of cloudy days, is this true and of so howcome? Is it like portland area where it's mostly cloudy throughout the year?
6) We typically eat at home but dine out occasionally, where are some good vegetarian restaurants...in my research it appears A2 has dedicated vegetarian restaurants...any other places? (Vegetarian/vegan friendly restaurants are ok too)
7) any tips or interesting facts you can share would be helpful

I thank you in advance; I know I am asking a lot but it's because if I do decide to relocate (decision would need to be made before the August 30) I will not have an opportunity to get to know the area first hand and would need to make a housing decision almost immediately. I might spend a week in a hotel and after work check out some places that y'all recommend but after that hotels will get expensive and would like to find a home soon (I know closing on a house can take more than a week- so I maybe in a hotel longer).

Look forward to your response, and feel free to ask me anything if I have left anything out!

Last edited by usmcmotort; 08-05-2018 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: Updated questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 09:27 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,945,387 times
1) finding a family friendly safe city/neighborhood to raise my family with a decent sized property .5acres+ and within a good school zone (I prefer no HOA). What cities/neighborhood/area do you recommend.The suburban areas of Okemos, Haslett, Holt, Grand Ledge, Mason, Williamston, Bath, DeWitt, East Lansing (although you're unlikely to find property on .5 acre in East Lansing). All of these have lots of housing options. Using the popular real estate website will help you narrow your housing choices. Housing is a hot commodity here right now. It's my understanding that the inventory is very selective and houses don't typically stay on the market for long if they are in a desirable area and priced well.
2) be within 45mins of east Lansing (I can go up to an hour if the location is just right). How is traffic? Any particular roads to avoid?There are no traffic issues here. When people complain about "traffic" it's because they can't go 10 miles over the speed limit. There are plenty of roads to get you where you need to be. The highways around the city and the by-ways are fine. The further you get away from the area around the university might compromise re-sale or your other desires (activities, shopping etc)
3) have access to an international market, farmers market, orchards, health food storesEast Lansing/Okemos has Whole Foods, Foods for Living, Costco and tons of Asian grocery stores. There are lots of farm markets in the summer months, and some limited ones during the winter months. Michigan produce is wonderful, unfortunately our growing season is short. There are also many specialty grocery stores, Better Health, Horrocks and local supermarkets and bakeris that offer organic and local produce. There is no lack of grocery stores in this area.
4) How bad does it snow there (does it snow a lot)? We are not used to snow so this will be interesting as I heard michighan gets lots snow (we have an AWD SUV and a vw passat, and we're thinking of getting a minivan). Our friends recently moved to Cheboyagan, Mi and they sent us a Christmas card and yea it was a lot of snow. When it snows a lot do schools and businesses shut down or is it business as usual?Cheboygan is further north than Lansing/East Lansing, so they get a lot more snow than this area. We had more last winter than normal, so that was unusual. Our yearly average is about 50-55 inches, but never all at once. Yes, the public schools are usually closed if it's unsafe to run the bus routes, or if it's sub-zero temperatures. Businesses may close early, schools may close early~the colleges are rarely closed and many employers are understanding about the safety of their workers, so that if the state government closes their offices, or if the city of Lansing is under a state of emergency (mainly so they can get the streets plowed), businesses and government offices might be closed. It rarely lasts for more than a day, and with many of the snowy days, it's only 2 or 3 inches and by mid day life is as if it never occurred. It's more of just a nuisance, and you learn to adapt. Your SUV would be fine, and the Passat would be fine as well. You might want to consider having snow tires put on for the winter months, it would be less expensive than purchasing a new mini van.
5) Does Michighan get a lot of sun, I heard that there can be a lot of cloudy days, is this true and of so howcome? Is it like portland area where it's mostly cloudy throughout the year?Michigan is very grey during the winter months, and many people complain of this more than the cold and snow. It can be just plain dreary for days/weeks on end. April is dreary as we transition from winter to spring. Our summer's and Fall seasons are absolutely gorgeous. Blue skies, lots of sun, long days of daylight. I would probably equate it to Seattle or Portland, although the time I spent in those cities seemed to be sunny.
6) We typically eat at home but dine out occasionally, where are some good vegetarian restaurants...in my research it appears A2 has dedicated vegetarian restaurants...any other places? (Vegetarian/vegan friendly restaurants are ok too)The Lansing area has many dedicated vegetarian restaurants, and there are many ethnic restaurants as well. Check out the lansing.org website for places to eat~many are listed there, but there are more. With a population of many ethnic groups, primarily because of the university, most restaurants are vegetarian friendly or will try to accommodate dietary requests/restrictions.
7) any tips or interesting facts you can share would be helpfulAutomobile insurance is the highest in the nation~you can find out more at Secretary of State of by contacting an independent insurance agent. Michigan State University has a Community Music School (check out the website). There are plenty of opportunities to participate in summer camps, sports programs, or other activities outside and those that your children are involved in or would be in the future. We are within 90 miles of Lake Michigan, and there are MANY lakes in Michigan that offer boating, fishing, swimming etc. For winter activities, there are ski slopes, skating rinks and cross country skiing/snowshoeing opportunities. Lansing has a decent size airport, with service to Chicago, Detroit and Washington DC, and Minneapolis. We are about an hour from the Grand Rapids airport, the Flint airport or 75 miles from Detroit airport. Price comparison gives you many options for air travel. There is an AMTRAK train route that makes daily trips to/from Chicago. The communities of East Lansing, Okemos and Haslett are very diverse with populations of all nationalities. All would be safe to live in. If you want property, you may have to move to one of the other communities to get the land you desire. A good realtor would help you. If you have other specific questions, you can PM me directly. Check out lansing.org for the general overview, the web pages for Meridian Township (www.meridian.mi.us) or City of East Lansing (https://www.cityofeastlansing.com) might have information for prospective residents as well. Haslett and Okemos are parts of Meridian Township, they don't have their own government. Just schools and mailing addresses.

Last edited by teachbeach; 08-05-2018 at 09:42 AM..

Old 08-05-2018, 11:25 AM

Teachbeach,Thank you so much for your thorough feedback. Let me digest your response and will PM you for any additional info.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:54 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,865,089 times
I think that you and your family will absolutely love Michigan! Although I don't live in Lansing (I'm in the Detroit metro area suburbs) I have spent a lot of time in the area. The E. Lansing suburbs, I have been told, have excellent reputations for enabling happy families. There should be more diversity in a very large university area. There should also be much opportunity for all of the areas of interest for your family. The snow and cloudiness can be significant, but most people adjust; it's an individual thing, for sure. Only you can guess how easily you and your family might adjust to the climate change. The great lakes are gorgeous by the the way, and I think you will be very pleasantly surprised at the opportunities to explore fun, beautiful places with your family.

Good luck and very best wishes to you!

Old 08-05-2018, 05:29 PM

Thank you mgkeith for the positive words. I know my wife is worried about the lack of sunshine but we have to look at this holistically.

I'm getting excited to make a decision...loving the feedback so far, don't hold back either, I welcome negative responses as well.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:30 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Downtown Lansing isn't the nicest, but everywhere else basically is. E Lansing with Michigan State has a lot of drunken petty crimes from September to April when school is on. On the flip side, E Lansing is more diverse because of that, and a large Asian population.

But once you get a little further away North, West, and South it gets less diverse and less accepting - ESPECIALLY when you go North.

Lots of farms close to town though - Southern Michigan is flat and good farmlands. Lots of farms, lots of you-pick farms too.

E Lansing and Lansing proper do have a number of Asian stores. A few Vietnamese refugees relocated there in the 70s.

Snow is often, but usually not bad - DC area gets MUCH worse blizzards. I don't remember a storm that dumped 36" of snow on southern Michigan. Pretty cold though - school has been canceled because of the cold. Colder than New England, warmer than Wisconsin/Minnesota/Dakotas. But it's grey for the entire months of November, December, January, and February.
School only closes when it snows a bunch during the commute times, or is icy.

It's hot and humid in the summer - but not nearly as bad as DC/NoVA.

I've got friends who were born in Vietnam in the late 60s/early 70s and emigrated to Lansing after the war. But the only non-white in my high school was Filipino.
Lansing holds a Hmong New Years Festival.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:54 PM

Thank you Scorpio on hitting on diversity! That really helps narrow it down for locations. I think Teachbeach hit on those areas pretty well....I looked on Zillow and saw a few properties of interest. Any other locations I should look into?

Old 08-07-2018, 06:58 AM

38 posts, read 60,388 times
Oh you will love East Lansing. I found that area specifically more culturally diverse when I lived there in my early college years. Grand Rapids is more conservative I feel, as are the colleges in the area ( lots of Christian orthodox private colleges). I really loved and enjoyed my time in Grand Rapids more than Lansing, but if your looking for Diversity, I don't really see it in GR specifically. What I saw was a strong gentrification push in the past 10 years that actually flipped the neighborhoods to become more exclusive to the wealthy basically. Also, just based on the participation my children were involved in. I probably saw maybe one Asian in a class with the ballet. Ill be honest I didn't see many Asian children at all is most activities my children were involved in.

With MSU being one of the largest universities in Michigan, you will encounter every single nationality there. A lot of cultures. I know the Italians have a huge following and community there.

I plan to eventually return to Michigan when I retire. Life is easy there.

Last edited by Foxlikestoplay; 08-07-2018 at 07:06 AM..

Old 08-07-2018, 04:14 PM

Thanks Fox for mentioning diversity and Grand Rapids. I was actually thinking of going in that direction but did see some info on the lack of diversity or exclusion of some cultures out that way...plus it would be a bit further out.

Thanks again for the feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan