Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:20 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBeth View Post
Khfar, that was great information!!

Yes, the big hair. I am semi guilty. I do love my hairspray. I'm sure I could let go, with a great haircut. ha!

It is nice to know up front that we will not have some of our favorite fast food places. Little bits of information like that do help. I lived in Houston after college for some time and the restaurants were incredible. My husband and I dated in Houston, so I think we enjoyed some of the best. Maybe nothing will compare to that.

We always seek out little hole-in-the-wall places in any town. It seems like there is one in every place. Any recommendations???

My husband loves college football, esp. the Big Twelve. That will be a shock for him, not to have games televised on major networks and results.

I am not at all surprised by the whole mexican food issue. Nothing seems to compare with Texas. We will certainly have to trade recipes!!

I can completely understand why neighbors are not super friendly during winter. My husband and I are very social and we love shooting the breeze with our neighbors. We have tons of neighbors that walk dogs and stroll their kids after work. We have other neighbors that will bring over their latest food network creation to share. I will miss that a lot, I'm sure.

I am curious about one thing in particular, will we say.....Water or Wadder??
I pretty much go to hole-in-the-wall places. There are SO many "Family Restaurants" and "Coney Islands" in metro Detroit due to what Lafayette and National Coney Island started downtown back in the day. Coney Island hot dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't really like chains anyway. We are getting our first Sonic in about a month though! And we got our first Del Taco a few years ago.

There are lots of good mexican restaurants here. I could tell you some in Dearborn Heights/Westland/Taylor, but I'm not sure where you are moving.

I'm not going to lie people in my neighborhood at least are unfriendly. I only really talk to three of my neighbors, and two seperate houses across the street have never even come around to introduce themselves or really talk to ANYONE. However if you live in more open places, Ferndale, Royal Oak, people tend to be more open. My street happens to be stuffy. It's all about where you live, even within individual neighborhoods. I could live a block further down and it could be much different. Luck of the draw really.

People in stores are hit or miss also. I know a lot of waitresses really well in local chain or holes-in-the-wall.

I'm not sure how people would say water. I know a few people that are very phonetic and pronounce their T's really well. (Mountain Dew for example. I would say MOUND-in dew. Some people I know will say MOUNT-TIN dew.) I would say water woh-der. Get used to people saying words like "mom" differently. We have a harsher accent and instead of an O sound m-aw-m, we say m-ah-m. Sort of more nasally. I know a lot of people who have commented on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 06:29 PM

418 posts, read 1,785,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBeth View Post
Khfar, that was great information!!

Yes, the big hair. I am semi guilty. I do love my hairspray. I'm sure I could let go, with a great haircut. ha!

It is nice to know up front that we will not have some of our favorite fast food places. Little bits of information like that do help. I lived in Houston after college for some time and the restaurants were incredible. My husband and I dated in Houston, so I think we enjoyed some of the best. Maybe nothing will compare to that.

We always seek out little hole-in-the-wall places in any town. It seems like there is one in every place. Any recommendations???

My husband loves college football, esp. the Big Twelve. That will be a shock for him, not to have games televised on major networks and results.

I am not at all surprised by the whole mexican food issue. Nothing seems to compare with Texas. We will certainly have to trade recipes!!

I can completely understand why neighbors are not super friendly during winter. My husband and I are very social and we love shooting the breeze with our neighbors. We have tons of neighbors that walk dogs and stroll their kids after work. We have other neighbors that will bring over their latest food network creation to share. I will miss that a lot, I'm sure.

I am curious about one thing in particular, will we say.....Water or Wadder??
I was thinking y'all were in Houston. Where do you live in Texas?

My husband is a huge Big 12 and SEC fan. We are also huge Cowboys/Mavericks/Rangers fans. We have DirecTV, and we paid for the college and NFL packages, so that we could watch all of our teams. I imagine it's kind of like when a Michigander moves south: they only want to watch Big 10 games, and anything else just doesn't cut the mustard! We could care less about any Big 10 teams, so we decided to pay extra so we could watch OUR teams.

Don't worry about your hair. I refused to change some things about myself, just because I was living somewhere else. I wear heels just about everywhere, and where I live, that is just NOT the norm! I also almost always go out "fixed up", meaning my hair is done, and I have make-up on.

Have you been up here to look at areas yet?

Old 04-08-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
We are getting our first Sonic in about a month though!
WHERE???!!! I am ridiculously excited, just hearing that!

Old 04-08-2008, 07:39 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,055 times
Khfar, I thought it would be fun to add some counter comments as an outsider who's lived on the East and West Coasts for most of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post

1. The people. People are different than Texans. You know how most Texas women love to get dressed to the nines, have big hair, etc.? You're not going to see that as much up here. Of course you will see your share, but not like in Texas - especially Houston or Dallas. You will also notice that people are much less friendly, in retail environments. I was so used to chatting up the checkers at the grocery store, or having sales people say hello to me and ask me if I needed any help. That is not very likely here. People seem to keep to themselves a little more. I have two friends from Michigan that live in Dallas, and they agreed with me on that one. I've gotten more used to it, and of course there are exceptions.
I think you've been hanging around West Bloomfield too much. Hang around Birmingham and the Somerset Collection more for well-dressed company. I do recall that people on the East Coast generally dressed better, but the West Coast isn't too different from here.

Big hair? I think it's time to move out of the 80s...

Quote:
2. Things to do. A lot of people tell us to take in a Tigers or Lions game. We just don't really see that as much fun, since we're life long Cowboys, Rangers, etc. fans. We do like the DIA (museum). It's really nice. I like to go to Royal Oak or Birmingham a lot, too. I think they have better restaurants (most of the suburbs are chain restaurants). And do check out the downtown area of Detroit. A lot of people will tell you to stay away, which I think is a shame. It's beautiful.
There is definitely more to do in a city like Boston, NY, San Fran, and I'm sure Dallas. The best part though is that it's MUCH easier to do big city things here - symphony, museums, pro sports, concerts, Cirque, etc. It's generally cheaper and less crowded.

When it comes to restaurants, metro Detroit's strength, IMHO, is the mid-range restaurant. This is pretty much my normal fare, so it's nice, but I do miss the occasional world-class restaurant and the hole-in-the-wall that are common in the big coastal cities.

Quote:
3. Food. I don't care what ANYONE says, the food here is just not that great. Well, to a Texan, at least. Unless you like On the Border for Mexican food, you're going to have to make your own. Because the kind of Mex we are used to is just not the same up here. Trust me on that. We've been EVERYWHERE to try it out! I just make it, now. And this is going to sound stupid, but fast food is lame (which might actually be good, since my husband's cholesteral went down this year). McDonald's, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Arby's, Burger King...that's about it. I miss Whataburger and Chick-fil-A like crazy!
Okay, this I don't get. Texas to me is Tex-Mex and BBQ. I'm used to eating Mexican in the Mission district of San Fran and there is similar stuff here in Mexicantown. Now if you want Tex-Mex, I agree, go to the Southwest. On the flipside, Detroit has the best Middle Eastern food, hands down. What I miss is good Chinese. I can make Tex-Mex at home. My Chinese cooking tastes nothing like the real stuff. Thankfully, Chicago and Toronto are not too far.

If you're jonesing for some Chick-Fil-A, there is one at the food court at Oakland University in Rochester. Every area has regional chains that might not be somewhere else in the country. Friends that have moved away usually mention Halo Burger, Einstein's and BD Mongolian BBQ as the chains they miss from here. Not a chain, but a genre they miss is the ubiquitous Detroit coney. I admit I miss Philly cheesesteaks, Chicago Italian Beef sandwiches, and In-n-Out.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
WHERE???!!! I am ridiculously excited, just hearing that!
Southgate. Fort Street just north of Pennsylvania Rd. It's about a half hour from here but I am DEFINITELY making the trip. The adds have been taunting us for YEARS.

I hear it is the first of many for the area. I think 15 is the initial number across Metro Detroit.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
Khfar, I thought it would be fun to add some counter comments as an outsider who's lived on the East and West Coasts for most of my life.

I think you've been hanging around West Bloomfield too much. Hang around Birmingham and the Somerset Collection more for well-dressed company. I do recall that people on the East Coast generally dressed better, but the West Coast isn't too different from here.

Big hair? I think it's time to move out of the 80s...

There is definitely more to do in a city like Boston, NY, San Fran, and I'm sure Dallas. The best part though is that it's MUCH easier to do big city things here - symphony, museums, pro sports, concerts, Cirque, etc. It's generally cheaper and less crowded.

When it comes to restaurants, metro Detroit's strength, IMHO, is the mid-range restaurant. This is pretty much my normal fare, so it's nice, but I do miss the occasional world-class restaurant and the hole-in-the-wall that are common in the big coastal cities.

Okay, this I don't get. Texas to me is Tex-Mex and BBQ. I'm used to eating Mexican in the Mission district of San Fran and there is similar stuff here in Mexicantown. Now if you want Tex-Mex, I agree, go to the Southwest. On the flipside, Detroit has the best Middle Eastern food, hands down. What I miss is good Chinese. I can make Tex-Mex at home. My Chinese cooking tastes nothing like the real stuff. Thankfully, Chicago and Toronto are not too far.

If you're jonesing for some Chick-Fil-A, there is one at the food court at Oakland University in Rochester. Every area has regional chains that might not be somewhere else in the country. Friends that have moved away usually mention Halo Burger, Einstein's and BD Mongolian BBQ as the chains they miss from here. Not a chain, but a genre they miss is the ubiquitous Detroit coney. I admit I miss Philly cheesesteaks, Chicago Italian Beef sandwiches, and In-n-Out.

Oh Cato...am I going to have to kick your you-know-what? HAHA!

Here I go:

1. Big hair. It's not the Dynasty/Dallas tv-show big hair that I'm talking about. I mean, BIG hair. Like, emulating Eva Longoria, Jessica Simpson...whomever. Not "claw bangs" (and trust me...I ROCKED them in the early 90s)!

2. I DO go to Birmingham and Somerset a lot. I'm kind of a shopping snob, unfortunately. I did mention that there are exceptions to the rule, mind you! But Detroit is not really known as the shopping or fashion capital of anything, so I kind of rely on my friends back home for shopping tips. Hell, even the ladies that work at Neiman's at Somerset told me that their Neimans sucks, compared to many others.

I try to get out as much as possible, but I get what you mean by the fact that I've been in WB too much. The women here are pretty granola. Nice as hell, and I like very many of them. But fashion is just on the bottom of their list!

3. Yes, generally, most Texans prefer Tex-Mex. I don't expect an entire state or region to create food just to please me, so I get why it isn't up here! But I don't think others get it, when they tell a Texan that the Mexican food is bad a$$ up here. To us, it just IS NOT.

Chinese - I can't help you. I haven't found any good Chinese or Thai that I like, so far.

Not a big fan of Middle-Eastern food, so I'm no judge there!

Many people don't realize this, but Dallas is like 2nd behind NYC in restaurants per capita. So, I think I was just spoiled by a plethora of places to eat, there. It's all I've ever known. And as much as I miss that, I DO like that this has made me cook my own food more often. It's healthier, and I have found that I actually enjoy cooking.

I haven't gone to the CFA at Oakland U, because I hear it's in the Union. I just do NOT want to go park on a college campus, drag my kids with me, and then eat in a student union! I wish they would open up a free standing store here. I have a good friend that works for CFA, and I keep griping at her to tell them to open more stores in MI!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:07 PM

I've never had Chick-Fil-A so I couldn't tell you if I miss it. I will tell you I had Popeye's in Washington DC, thought it was incredible, and got it from Redford and it SUCKED.

Chinese food - I'm not much of a judge, but from what I've had New Peking in Garden City is among the best. It was voted second best in the Vote 4 the Best contest by Local 4. Really good quality and good service.

I've never even been to a Middle-Eastern restaurant. And I live in Dearborn Heights. Just not my thing.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:27 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,055 times
Quote:
Oh Cato...am I going to have to kick your you-know-what? HAHA!
Good to "see" you smilin' a bit now that winter is over.

Quote:
1. Big hair. It's not the Dynasty/Dallas tv-show big hair that I'm talking about.
Thank God. You were scaring me a bit with this one.

Quote:
2. I DO go to Birmingham and Somerset a lot. I'm kind of a shopping snob, unfortunately. I did mention that there are exceptions to the rule, mind you! But Detroit is not really known as the shopping or fashion capital of anything, so I kind of rely on my friends back home for shopping tips. Hell, even the ladies that work at Neiman's at Somerset told me that their Neimans sucks, compared to many others.
I'll have to trust you on this one. I admit there is no tony "strip" like Rodeo Dr, Magnificent Mile, Fifth Ave, Union Square, Rittenhouse, Back Bay, etc. here in metro Detroit.

All "Needless Markup" stores seem the same to me. A rich relative got us a $500 Waterford punch bowl from NM for our wedding, which was obviously not on our list. Who the heck needs a crystal punch bowl? We went down to the Union Square location and could only get store credit for it. What the heck do you buy there for $500? I ended up getting some Italian leather shoes I rarely wear, just to say I once bought $500 shoes. Anyway, see no difference between the SF and Somerset stores.

Quote:
I try to get out as much as possible, but I get what you mean by the fact that I've been in WB too much. The women here are pretty granola. Nice as hell, and I like very many of them. But fashion is just on the bottom of their list!
I know a lot of advice gets thrown around here, but if you've lived IN a world-class city (vs. its burbs), there are only several places in Metro Detroit that come close to filling that void - RO, Birmingham, Rochester, Ann Arbor, Ferndale, downtown Detroit. You wake up, walk to the neighborhood coffee shop or bakery, read a paper or surf the internet, people watch, head to the used bookstore, go for a jog in a big park - etc., etc., etc. There's a vibrancy you can't find in most 'burbs, no matter how nice people say they are.

Quote:
I haven't found any good Chinese or Thai that I like, so far.
Good Thai is easy unlike Chinese. Try Sy Thai over in downtown Birmingham - huge portions, reasonable prices, and clean but not too formal.

Quote:
Not a big fan of Middle-Eastern food, so I'm no judge there!
I wouldn't call myself a huge Middle-Eastern food fan, but you have to try it since it's exceptional here. I recommend Amani's at Greenfield and Warren in Dearborn. It doesn't look like much, but four adults can feast for $20-30 and have abundant leftovers. The fattoush salad and hummous are phenomenol.

Quote:
Many people don't realize this, but Dallas is like 2nd behind NYC in restaurants per capita. So, I think I was just spoiled by a plethora of places to eat, there. It's all I've ever known. And as much as I miss that, I DO like that this has made me cook my own food more often. It's healthier, and I have found that I actually enjoy cooking.
We also miss all the phenomenol restaurants in SF, Philly, Chicago, etc., but we thought about it and realized that we only like to eat out for dinner maybe once or twice a week, tops. So for day-to-day living, it's not a big deal, but we do miss the occasional special treat like Morimoto's and Carnegie Deli.

I'm sure you'll be outta here soon enough and back in your D-town. Enjoy the things that you might be taking for granted here! We sure complain less about the East Coast now that we've moved out and mainly wax nostalgic about the things we miss - how soon we forget...

Old 04-09-2008, 10:16 AM

504 posts, read 2,175,820 times
Hi there,

It's been so long since I lived in the South that I'm going to have to go on long term memory (always dangerous...). Yes, people in Michigan are less formal than in the South, but for me that's a good thing. Oregon was even more laid back, which I miss.

One thing that I hate about being from the South is that both in Oregon and Michigan, people have all of these horrible stereotypes about the South, and it can be a hard burden to carry. My son is learning Michigan history this year, and it's so different than the Louisiana history I learned in school.

I live in a very rural area, so restaurants aren't even a real option for us. My parents learned to cook Mexican food growing up in Texas, so I was taught early on too, and had to learn to cook Cajun and Creole when I moved to Oregon. I'm afraid I haven't heard of a Michigan cuisine really. Up here, there's a lot of German and Polish influence. There are more bakeries than I've ever seen in the South or West.

People are pretty religious up here too. I find that people in Michigan are the least friendly folks I've ever lived around. I'm not sure why, but the South is rightly known for it's hospitality, and Oregon valued the rugged individualism, but it's mainly rural roots and transient population made people come together out of necessity. I think people here are very deeply rooted, and family centered, and just don't stray outside of their comfort zone to welcome new people. I don't know....

The LACK of manners really shocked me when I left the South, and I think you'll find that here too. Especially with children. I was also totally comfortable disciplining other people's children in the South, but quickly learned when I left that that's not OK outside of the South. I don't know if it's still the case anymore, but that's the way I remember being raised... any adult could and did step in and tell me when I'd crossed the line and what I should do to make things right. Maybe it's just a sign of the times...

Anyway, my 2 cents....

Old 04-09-2008, 01:03 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
The first two big differences that we noticed on moving here from Orange County CA was the lack of resturuant choices and the smoking in resturuants (blechhh). There are comparatively very few resturants within any given area (not many movie theaters either). This makes good resturaunts hard to find. Also we found that what are considered "good" resturaunts here, woudl probably go out of business on the West coast. Other things are better here, but dining is not one of them.

We also quickly noticed that resturuant service here is generally poor. Generally, you are treated as if they are doing you a favor to wait on you rather than the other way around. The only place that we found truley good service was at a steakhouse in Jackson. The food was great there too.

There are a few really good resturuants here or there. You may end up driving a long way to get to them. The North Oakland County area has all of the usual chains that you find everywhere.

Adding to the list, for fast food, we really miss Carl's Jr. and In & Out.

Good Mexican food is in Mixican Villiage and a few scattered small towns.

Good Chinese food - still looking.

Quite a bit of good local fish. Especially Perch and Walleye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan