Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 11:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,238 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, first time posting and really glad I came upon a forum like this!

So, a quick introduction and background so everyone has an idea...I will be moving to Detroit, more specifically, Auburn Hills, for the summer on a student-work summer sales program for the 4 months. I will be moving with my gf and we are both 23 yrs old. As you can tell from my name, I'm coming from Canada, Ottawa to be exact. We are definitely not the type of people to just take it easy and instead prefer a much livelier and party themed nightlife as opposed to a place where you go to relax. Moreover, since we are only there for the summer, and going back to University once September hits again, staying in and "relaxing" would be pretty much a waste of a summer for us.

So our question is, exactly how good/bad is Auburn Hills for someone with our lifestyle? We do not really have the choice in moving elsewhere because we are going there by contract. Also, we don't own a car, so how would we go about in commuting to places such as Royal Oak/Birmingham which I have heard are good cities for people like us? How about going down to downtown Detroit to party? We basically want to know what our options are to have an idea on what we're getting ourselves into.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 05:52 AM

845 posts, read 3,272,621 times
If you're working in Auburn Hills but looking for a party-party lifestyle, you need to live in Royal Oak. Auburn Hills is not the place for you to live.

Downtown Detroit works too, but your drive to Auburn Hills would be horrible. You'd spend your paycheck in gasoline every week.

If you live in Royal Oak, you're well positioned to take advantage of everything fun in the area, and still have a manageable commute to work.

You are going to need a car. Welcome to Michigan. :-(

Old 04-30-2008, 10:33 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,200,598 times
You NEED a car, there is plenty of nightlife between downtown Detroit and Royal Oak, but you will need a way to get there.

People always say "welcome to Michigan"(I've said it too) but in reality you need a car EVERYWHERE except New York or Chicago in the US.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:28 PM

34 posts, read 156,037 times
As the others have said, you HAVE to get a car. There is no way around it. Having said that, there really is no nightlife in Auburn Hills as far as bars and things like that. There are a few but you'll get tired of them in a week. If you're only staying for the summer, try Royal Oak. Lots of bars and things to do...but, you have to get a car.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:01 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,200,598 times
Go to Downtown Detroit too. There are great clubs and restaurants down there. Royal Oak will get boring too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan