Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 01:21 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,491,391 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot of complaints about Whitmer relating to her policies in reaction to Covid-19. Am I just hearing the complainers, and most people are happy with her response. Or is their widespread dissatisfaction. And is this going to effect the presidential vote in MI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 02:09 PM

2,536 posts, read 3,103,423 times
You’re hearing the complainers, and those who are afraid of women in power. (There still are some people like that, unbelievably.)
Big Gretch is loved by most Michiganders for her determination to keep us as Covid-free as possible. Of course, she doesn’t have a magic wand, and the state contains about as many Deplorables.as any other state.

Old 10-31-2020, 02:52 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,405,586 times
I actually think Michigan did a pretty good job bringing COVID to a standstill for the summer. Now, fall is back and look at how much the case rates surge without any rules in place.
I’m not in favor of super strict constant lockdowns, but we have many people who can’t be trusted to do the right things to avoid high spread rates, so they screw it up for the rest of us.
I wish Amash was our governor. His political stance is something me and most others in the Southeast Asian community would appreciate.

Last edited by FrozenI69; 10-31-2020 at 03:16 PM..

Old 10-31-2020, 04:41 PM

2,067 posts, read 1,866,238 times
Many of us are happy with Whitmer and are pleased with having a strong, capable, intelligent woman in power. I judge the others by their own merits.

Old 10-31-2020, 06:29 PM

4,537 posts, read 5,110,322 times
I'm glad to hear the above-3 posts... I'm not naive enough, however, to believe they represent all more or, even a majority of Michigan folks. While the vast majority of Michiganders are not right-wing crazies, I realize though that the nutjobs plotting to kidnap the governor didn't just magically materialize out of the ether.

Old 10-31-2020, 07:37 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,494,787 times
She is a common result of our binary party system. Both parties could have nominated better candidates, but they didn't, and probably won't next time.

Old 10-31-2020, 08:34 PM

864 posts, read 1,721,522 times
Sorry but she is reviled by a large segment of the population in MI. The lockdowns did not work and she violated the State constitution to impose them via executive order. This is not the way to win over the electorate. She will likely lose reelection in 2022. I don't currently live in the state but my family does and this is what I hear from them.

Old 11-01-2020, 06:08 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,314,380 times
Whitmer is quite unpopular in my county and lost it by 8 percentage points in 2018, and that was even pre-COVID, she would lose by more here now if the election was today. It's interesting too, because I don't live in some rural county up north, our county is fairly populous and borders some of the Bluest and most liberal counties in the state (Wayne, Washtenaw) and a Blue county in Ohio (Lucas) and there are many residents who are transplants from those counties. We also went for Trump in 2016 by quite a surprising margin, Trump 52%/Clinton 36%, considering this county went for Obama in 2008 and 2012. We just seem to be getting Redder with time.

Anecdotally, I see more than a few "My Governor is an Idiot" signs around. LOL.

Old 11-01-2020, 07:08 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,614,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post

Anecdotally, I see more than a few "My Governor is an Idiot" signs around. LOL.
I think those signs are shameful.
Common decency has gone out the window with the name calling, right from the top.

As for the Michigan supreme court (republicans) shutting down Whitmer's executive orders, (that were working no matter what else you think about her) now we have the Michigan Dept of Health and Human Services shutting things down and restricting and enforcing social distancing because we are going to hit 4,000 new cases a day very soon. No more blaming the governor. So who will be the scapegoat now?

Old 11-01-2020, 09:06 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,943,454 times
She is perceived favorably by a majority of people in Michigan. There is a very vocal, outspoken minority that as said above is some overlapping Venn diagram of individuals that include conservatives, misogynists, anti-government, hardcore Republicans, anti-maskers, pro 2nd amendment types. That and small business owners who were decimated during the lockdowns, although would probably still be hurting regardless due to pandemic).

Some of its partisan politics, some its just how we've historically had an anti-government faction in Michigan.

Overall, I think shes not a decent job at navigating the pandemic. Has she made mistakes? Sure. Have their been ridiculous orders, (yes like the no motorboating thing back in the spring). We were in a better place than the laisse-fare states were but as you can see now its really is all going to end up the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan