Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 03:09 PM

8 posts, read 7,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida-Boy View Post
Unfortunately having lived in Monroe County most of my life I can attest to the driving habits of Michigan drivers... THEY SUCK.
You have these guys who jack up their trucks and run their off road bar lights so they can see up a bugs a$$ 3 miles down the road not caring about the oncoming drivers they are blinding... I think they are compensating for something. Then there are the drug runners driving triplet digits on the freeways, trucks hitting bicyclist and not stopping at the scene. Don't forget WDIV's segment on the most dangerous city in Michigan to drive in... you guessed it, MONROE.
As a driver here in Michigan I run front and rear dash cams in ALL my vehicles including my motorcycle so hopefully if I get in an accident I have proof of what these clowns have done.
Michigan, home of the bumper humpers, LOL

Thanks to all Replies, Its interesting to see what others have to deal with the craziness of other drivers.

When you mentioned Ida Boy about the drug runners you can surely bet thats happening on I-94 between Detroit and Chicago driving 100 mph with tinted windows. I imagine they get paid on how many trips they can make in a day Lol !!!

But Monroe? I am sort of surprised at it being called the most dangerous drivers.

We get drivers here with glass packs on thier cars and scream down 10 mile going 70 in a 55. Where are the police? The only police I see hang out on 9 mile between Pontiac Trail and Dixboro for some reason. To me, there are better places for them to focus on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 04:22 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,943,933 times
I don't know if South Lyon is the worse driving in the state but my personal nominations of some of the consistently worst driving in the state 2021 edition:

This is based on my anedotal observations of:

Insane speeding - 90 mph+ on highways, 60 mph+ on mile roads
Excessive tailgating in congested traffic and/or trying to excessively speed
Aggressive lane cutting / passing across multiple lanes, often while tailgating and/or excessive speeding
BONUS ITEM - often texting and/or holding up phone to talk while driving

In no particular order:
US-23 between Ann Arbor & Brighton
I-75 between Saginaw & Flint / US-23 split
I-96 between Grand Rapids & Lansing
I-96 between Lansing & Howell
M-39/Southfield Fwy through Detroit

Old 08-24-2021, 05:19 PM

5 posts, read 16,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpat View Post
Thanks to all Replies, Its interesting to see what others have to deal with the craziness of other drivers.

When you mentioned Ida Boy about the drug runners you can surely bet thats happening on I-94 between Detroit and Chicago driving 100 mph with tinted windows. I imagine they get paid on how many trips they can make in a day Lol !!!

But Monroe? I am sort of surprised at it being called the most dangerous drivers.
https://www.facebook.com/wdiv.daunt/...3966370779058/

https://www.1800leefree.com/blog/mon...-driving-city/

Old 09-03-2021, 10:31 PM

17 posts, read 10,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
I don't know if South Lyon is the worse driving in the state but my personal nominations of some of the consistently worst driving in the state 2021 edition:

This is based on my anedotal observations of:

Insane speeding - 90 mph+ on highways, 60 mph+ on mile roads
Excessive tailgating in congested traffic and/or trying to excessively speed
Aggressive lane cutting / passing across multiple lanes, often while tailgating and/or excessive speeding
BONUS ITEM - often texting and/or holding up phone to talk while driving

In no particular order:
US-23 between Ann Arbor & Brighton
I-75 between Saginaw & Flint / US-23 split
I-96 between Grand Rapids & Lansing
I-96 between Lansing & Howell
M-39/Southfield Fwy through Detroit
I can definitely attest to this, the whole Saginaw area is horrible, absolute worse drivers.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:50 PM

1,002 posts, read 919,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Welcome to drivers in every metro area in the US.
Not every one.

I'm only in the process of moving to Michigan, and I've already been shocked by how much unnecessarily aggressive driving I've seen.

It isn't the worst in the US that I've seen, but certainly among the worst I've seen in an area with Detroit's density.

Old 09-08-2021, 05:34 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Michigan does have unusually aggressive driving, especially compared to the passive driving in neighbor states like Ohio and Indiana.

In Indiana and much of Ohio, if the speed limit is 65, people drive 50 or 55 just to be safe. In Michigan, if the speed limit is 70, people will drive at 80 or 85 because they know they can.

Although Michigan drivers tend to be aggressive,they also tend to be better drivers than in many parts of the country where I have driven. Yes tailgating is foolish, dangerous and a bad driver activity, but other than tailgating, I find that many Michigan drivers tend to be more in control, an more attuned and focused (although texting is taking away the latter part). I see a lot less indecision and panic amount Michigan drivers both of which are major causes of traffic problems and accidents. There also seem to be a lot more people who understand that slamming on the brake is not the appropriate reaction to any situation out of the ordinary. (Sometimes accelerating, changing lanes, swerving, gently leaving the roadway, or just taking your foot off the gas are the appropriate action and sudden braking will cause you to lose control, or get hit from behind.)

Compared to say Southern California where the drivers are universally poor at driving (because they never actually drive, they just sit in traffic, and because they are accustomed to watching the morning news while sitting in their car on the way to work. If they actually get to move, they do not know that they need to turn off their computer or phone or at least look away.) and panic over rain, or a puddle or a pothole. Or to Boston where the drivers are just plain nuts and do not care about skilled driving or any form of order or structure to driving (ignore lanes, lights signs, directional roads, etc). It is amazing how many dented cars you see there until you drive for a while then you completely understand. The 10/2 hand position must be replaced in drivers ed with the Boston driver hand position (one hand on the horn, the other out the window flipping the bird).

Texas is a push. There are a lot more drunks driving in Texas and a lot of people who think driving is just point your truck in the direction you want to and go. They know their lifted truck can drive over anything that gets in the way. There is a thing called a Texas Exit. You see them all over the highways and freeways. Essentially it is a dirt track through the grass, ditch or whatever is in the way where people decided they want to exit without waiting for an exit. They also drive really badly in heavy rain or snow/ice. Probably because it is rare. However there is less tailgating and there are considerable numbers of people who do take pride in driving skills a few can even handle rain or snow/ice, but those are mostly transplants form other states.

Oklahoma tends to have a lot of remarkably bad drivers. I am not sure why. Meth maybe?

In Illinois anywhere within 20 miles of Chicago, most drivers are awful. Get out in the farmlands and they are generally good drivers. Many of the farm states are that way.

Montana drivers do well as long as they are alone on the speedway going 120 mph. Put another car on the road with them and they are not sure what to do. But that happens so rarely there it is not much of a problem.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 09-08-2021 at 05:42 AM..

Old 09-08-2021, 08:17 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,943,933 times
I will say that when you away from the Metro areas like you said, the drivers are pretty good, even if fast.
I-75, US-127, US-131 north of the cities are great. People may do 85+ but they know what they are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan