Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2021, 10:56 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,947,341 times

Advertisements

I figure at this point, its worth starting its own thread.

How are things in your neck of the woods?

It sure seems like this summer, at least since about mid-June has been one of the wettest, most humid, downpour, and thunderstorm filled summers in awhile.

I am in Southeast Michigan, but we have a family place up north and its been a similar story there.
I think Metro Detroit is now on its 7th or 8th wave of severe storms resulting in hundreds of thousands without power.

Between the heat (actually temps haven't been as high as some years) but the humidity, and wet, and the BUGS. The mosquitos and deer flies are outrageous this year. So few nights where its actually been pleasant to sit on my deck at night.

Honestly, at this point I'm ready to stick a fork in Summer 2021. Bring on fall and get this Florida weather out of here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 06:42 AM

610 posts, read 264,941 times
In my area of Royal Oak it has gotten to the point where anything more than a gentle drizzle is a guaranteed power outage, usually for at least two days. Mine went out yesterday afternoon again (fourth time this summer).

Old 08-12-2021, 07:42 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,929,124 times
We have had scattered power outages in our township. Nothing widespread. Mostly trees falling on lines.

We have lost a lot of trees and tree limbs. It has been a windy summer.

It was a pretty comfortable summer. Not too hot. The 4th of July was a beautiful day. This is very unusual. We always have a party that day and it is usually miserably hot. Seems like it has been a very wet summer, but the river water levels which were super high in the spring, are not up all that much. I do not see any docks underwater right now. (most of them were under water in the spring. IN the past they were 3-5 feet above the water). I prefer rain to the scorching heat the rest of the county is getting.

Mosquitoes are kind of medium for us this year, not really all that bad. they have been a lot worse in other years. We doi not get deer flies or horseflies. Cicadas are out in force this year. The forests are buzzing like mad. the big thing for us this year has been wind. Lots of wind damage. Probably caused by bigger than usual temperature swings.

Old 08-12-2021, 07:44 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,222,794 times
Wisconsin feels your pain

Old 08-12-2021, 09:57 AM

495 posts, read 329,960 times
The thunderstorms where I live in West Michigan have been mostly mild. I think they have mostly been steering either jusrcto the north or the south of us. It has been a windy summer here. It's been a bit of a roller-coaster with the Temps, humidity and mosquitoes. Last week, my husband and I were shocked when we hung out by the firepit one night, and barely encountered any bugs. The Temps had suddenly dropped at night over the prior week and had just gotten back to normal summer levels.

We had one inexplicable power outage (no storm), and another due to a car accident. Our neighborhood utilities are buried underground, which helps.

Old 08-12-2021, 05:26 PM

410 posts, read 440,313 times
These Tennessee-like storms can go. Ive been lucky this year as far as bugs go. They sprayed just before that May snow we had so what bugs Ive had die right away. I know we get thunder and tornadoes every year but this year is a bit much. It thundered the whole night last night. Thankfully only one power outage this year. Bring on winter. It has its own issues but I function better in it.

Old 08-12-2021, 06:27 PM

21,186 posts, read 19,798,648 times
25% of metro Detroit has been without power for the past day: https://outage.dteenergy.com/map About 15% have been without power for two days. Today I noticed a huge increase in bugs. We have had a decent amount of cool days (in the 70s). The grass has NEVER been greener this time of year.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:12 AM

1,591 posts, read 1,193,142 times
The recent severe storms in NW here were very strong. It will takes us a while to recover from the water damage caused by one evening. We live in beach sand, so the erosion in our backyard was brutal. We have a new build, and the yard landscaping had only begun. Now it's going to be a repeat of only-begun.

Old 08-19-2021, 08:36 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,498,898 times
I am almost ready to pay retail for a better raincoat.

Old 10-21-2021, 11:55 AM

11 posts, read 7,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
Wisconsin feels your pain
That's true !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan