Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 08:33 AM
MGD

122 posts, read 290,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Slavery ended in 1865. The sundown laws didn't come until at least 1890. The laws lasted until the 1960's and 70's. Some places in the USA didn't get rid of them until the 1980's. Some places still might have them in the books but according to the Constitution you can't enforce them(that and /or they are ignored).

Up until the 1960's, blacks were not allowed to intermarry with whites. In some places in the South, a black man could be killed just for staring at a white woman too long. Look up Emmett Till.

As for the UP of Michigan, I don't recall much of a history of violence, so I wouldn't worry about traveling there.
Far as the sundown laws, that's why i said i didn't know "free" people had to leave town...i realize they came after slavery ended...and I don't know all of black american history, but i do know about Emmett Till...I even wrote a poem about him in high school.

The laws might be ignored, but not all the time, look what happened in Georgia to that black basketball player in high school and that white girl who said herself she voluntarily went down on him...had the man in jail like he raped somebody...because of a georgia law that most agree is backwards...the laws shouldn't even exist on the books, and they want to give people jobs...hire people to update the laws...I find it weird that there are constant reminders even in the law books of how unwanted blacks are/were and nobody makes noise to get them fixed...it's like being divorced and walking around with the ring on your finger still...

I also find it weird and a little sad that there are no black people on any of the US currency even though they make up a higher percentag of the population than Indians...and the women only get placed on money people hardly ever see or use...alllll the rest are white men. ...just my observation as a foreigner still...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 09:25 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD View Post
Far as the sundown laws, that's why i said i didn't know "free" people had to leave town...i realize they came after slavery ended...and I don't know all of black american history, but i do know about Emmett Till...I even wrote a poem about him in high school.

The laws might be ignored, but not all the time, look what happened in Georgia to that black basketball player in high school and that white girl who said herself she voluntarily went down on him...had the man in jail like he raped somebody...because of a georgia law that most agree is backwards...the laws shouldn't even exist on the books, and they want to give people jobs...hire people to update the laws...I find it weird that there are constant reminders even in the law books of how unwanted blacks are/were and nobody makes noise to get them fixed...it's like being divorced and walking around with the ring on your finger still...

I also find it weird and a little sad that there are no black people on any of the US currency even though they make up a higher percentag of the population than Indians...and the women only get placed on money people hardly ever see or use...alllll the rest are white men. ...just my observation as a foreigner still...
I don't know the situation with the coins,

As for the basketball player, the laying down part was consensual. There was consent involved. With that said, there is a "statutory rape" law. You have to be a certain age for it to be legal. Otherwise it is called rape, whether or not both persons agreed.

I could say more, but I don't think it would be a good idea to say it on this thread. You can message me if you like.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:26 AM

Does anyone know anything about Copper Country or Sault Ste. Marie?

Old 03-17-2009, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 7,922 times
I am a 41 year old, married, African American with 2 children, 11 and 9. For the past 5 years I have taken my family to the UP every summer, and we have never experienced any racial incidents whatsoever.

We usually camp just outside of Manistique. However we have also visited Iron Mountain, Escanaba, Paradise and Munising. It is quite rare to see other minorities, but in recent years I have noticed a few more.

I would recommend the UP to any African Americans looking for a nice vacation. Its within driving distance, inexpensive and family friendly.

I would recommend the "ghost town" at Fayette.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:28 PM

845 posts, read 3,271,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotog View Post
Great destination. I agree.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:24 AM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lakes Pirate View Post
I've lived in the western UP for about 10 years (after growing up in Metro Detroit, and living in downtown Chicago) -- IMO, you won't encounter anything ugly.

I would say, generally speaking, that Yoopers do appreciate it when visitors behave as polite guests. Waving money around, deriding the locals, even hinting that a lot of Yoopers' paychecks depend on "your" tourist dollars, and otherwise just acting like a butt, will get you nowhere. Regardless of your heritage or racial background.
This is so true... you are a guest.. nothing more. I had relatives that owned a bar/hotel in Amasa. It took them years to be considered Yooper's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassPipe View Post
ROFLMAO - Appleknocker.

Think gravity. Just like being a troll, you're "under" the bridge. If they drop an apple, it will knock the troll senseless.

Too funny, see what a case of old millwaukee (in glass bottles no less) will do to you?
Okay ... I get it now.. LOL

I've never really seen much Racism so to speak, basically I've only seen some idiot's that thought they were "all that" get a lesson from the locals.
There was this one time though, we were snowmobiling from Hancock to Silver City and we stopped at this little bar (Mass city maybe ?) and when the owner found out we were from Detroit he started playing this EXTREMELY racist country music that I've never heard before... I was hoping it was some sort of joke.. but all I can say was I was "feer'd for my life" !! Being that I'm half mexican and half italian (you would never know I'm white as hell) I'm sure he wouldn't have liked me much ! LOL

Old 03-18-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
This is so true... you are a guest.. nothing more. I had relatives that owned a bar/hotel in Amasa. It took them years to be considered Yooper's.

Okay ... I get it now.. LOL

I've never really seen much Racism so to speak, basically I've only seen some idiot's that thought they were "all that" get a lesson from the locals.
There was this one time though, we were snowmobiling from Hancock to Silver City and we stopped at this little bar (Mass city maybe ?) and when the owner found out we were from Detroit he started playing this EXTREMELY racist country music that I've never heard before... I was hoping it was some sort of joke.. but all I can say was I was "feer'd for my life" !! Being that I'm half mexican and half italian (you would never know I'm white as hell) I'm sure he wouldn't have liked me much ! LOL
Your experience isn't one I have heard of, but I do have an experience of being down South. I have been hounded in public before(I am black). Someone in their pickup truck stuck his head out of a window and called me the "n" word. That isn't the only incident I have seen, but it goes to show that its everywhere. There are people who come up to me and tell me that the South is better when it comes to race relations. Experience has taught me otherwise. Some people come up to me and tell me that the North is better. I don't really buy that too easily. To be honest, the UP isn't immuned to racism. Just different from the rest of Michigan. Not known for the violence the rest of Michigan, or the rest of the country, is known for.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotog View Post
I am a 41 year old, married, African American with 2 children, 11 and 9. For the past 5 years I have taken my family to the UP every summer, and we have never experienced any racial incidents whatsoever.

We usually camp just outside of Manistique. However we have also visited Iron Mountain, Escanaba, Paradise and Munising. It is quite rare to see other minorities, but in recent years I have noticed a few more.

I would recommend the UP to any African Americans looking for a nice vacation. Its within driving distance, inexpensive and family friendly.

Well, if your experience is any indicator, the UP should be a very good place to take a vacation, regardless of race.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:13 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,336,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz7731 View Post
i've been away from the UP for 13 years. in that time i have seen a greater knowledge (if you will) of multi-racial families come to light and believe the ignorance level has lessened.

i agree that anywhere you go, you will encounter ignorant people. please don't let that stop you from enjoying the beautiful UP of michigan!!

while you are there, probably headed west on US 2 going to the copper harbor, be sure and stop by Rosie's (tylene's) restaurant. you will find it at the north end of the garden penninsula about 12 miles west of manistique. i guarantee you will be greeted warmly there!!

Is Tylene's still there? Cool! We used to go there when I was a kid and then cross the highway for a swim in the bay. Dang, that was fun.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:16 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,336,309 times
Staying on topic though...racism is everywhere of course, but based on overhearing rednecks shoot off their mouths...I've heard a lot less of that in the UP than I have in places like Ohio and in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan