Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 04:49 PM

3 posts, read 5,517 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I am thinking of taking up a Job in Battle creek.Is that a good area to work?
How is it in terms of safety?
If i have to live,would you suggest living in BC or any nearby cities?
I am in CA so have no idea about Battle creek.
Any inputs please...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 07:40 PM

78 posts, read 243,032 times
Do you have school-age children?

I grew up in Marshall which is a nearby small town. Personally, that's where I would move if I took a job in BC but I have friends/family there and many fond memories. I also have two children.

It may not have enough activities if you are single or a young couple from a large urban area in CA. I was involved with community service activities when I was a young adult and was active in things. It depends on what you are looking for in a place to live. Someone here on City-Data had a bad experience living in Marshall. If I recall, they felt unwelcomed by the residents. Personally I have lived and traveled a number of places in the US and my experience with living in Marshall was very positive. Of course, YMMV.

It is historic town...very safe. I visit frequently but I haven't been back in a couple of years. I don't know what effect the economic downturn has had on Marshall in the last few years. I know they lost the State Farm Insurance regional office a number of years ago and some other manufacturing-type companies.

Check out the Chamber of Commerce website for information:

Marshall Area Chamber of Commerce :: Marshall, Michigan

I would suggest flying out for a short visit to check out the area.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:34 PM

Thank you KMFLA! Are there any unsafe Pockets that you would want one to avoid? I have Pre-Schoolers.
If i were to live BC which nearby area is good? What is YMMV?
The crime rate report in City Data is shocking...

Old 09-11-2010, 07:03 PM

78 posts, read 243,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radi View Post
Thank you KMFLA! Are there any unsafe Pockets that you would want one to avoid? I have Pre-Schoolers.
If i were to live BC which nearby area is good? What is YMMV?
The crime rate report in City Data is shocking...
If you're asking about Marshall then there are really no unsafe pockets. However, I'm not that familiar with Battle Creek as it stands today. I've been in Florida for quite awhile. My brother and his wife currently live in BC. I believe the Lakeview area is nice. They live in the Minges area which is nice. When we fly up on vacation we stay in Marshall and visit family and then head north to the northern lower peninsula and the upper peninsula, Mackinac Island, Boyne, etc... Personally I would drive the 13-14 miles to Marshall and live there.

I would suggest you come for a visit. Bring your children, grab some ice cream cones in downtown Marshall, and walk down to the fountain and watch the lights at dusk and let them catch fireflies. If you are sitting on a bench in the park enjoying the fountain and the kids are having fun then Marshall may be a good choice for you and your family. If you are bored and looking at your watch then it may be too slow for you. If you are coming from L.A. or S.F. you will certainly be in for a culture shock. If that's the case then maybe Kalamazoo (the other side of BC) may be a better choice. I believe if you live in the Kazoo city limits then your children will be eligible for free college...you'll have to "google" it as I'm not familiar with the program. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Are you planning to rent or buy? Are you interested in a residence in the city or more out in the countryside?

Sorry...YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

Last edited by KMSFLA; 09-11-2010 at 07:39 PM..

Old 09-11-2010, 08:11 PM

238 posts, read 743,348 times
Depends on where your job is, if BC a good place to work. I've lived in the Lakeview area. Our kids had all grown by the time we moved there, so I can't vouch for Lakeview Schools. PM me if you're interested in contacting a realtor that would have more info. There is adequate shopping in BC, personally I prefer Meijer for fresh fruit and vegetables and Sam's Club for meats. We didn't have any problems while we lived there. There is a city tax of 1% if you live in the city and 1/2% if you don't live there, but work within the city limits.

I've also lived in Marshall...They seem to thrive on their historical background (Marshall was once considered for the state capital and they even have a "governor's mansion" there). They have a home tour and a Christmas Parade. You have to watch out for traffic to get to the fountain, it's in the middle of a traffic island and people love to cruise the city. Quaint little town, but you'll end up driving to BC for shopping.

I'd recommend finding an area that you like and rent, if possible. You'll find out about distances, locations, places to go, things to do and that would make a difference if you decide to settle down and buy a place in either a city or the outlaying areas.

Good Luck!

Old 09-12-2010, 01:42 AM

Thanks to both of you.Initially i'll rent then will look for a place to wind down. I am thinking of these places; Marshall, Galesburg , Springfield,Penfield township, Richland.Any Picks? suggestions?
I don't mind quiet life as long as there is safety.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:33 AM

1. Pennfield 2. Richland 3. Marshall 4. Galesburg 5. Springfield

Old 09-13-2010, 05:23 PM

Another plus for Pennfield Twp....

Pennfield Wal-Mart plans move forward | battlecreekenquirer.com | The Enquirer

Old 10-30-2010, 09:42 PM

3 posts, read 6,013 times
yeah i live in pennfield also.. its a pretty good school.. and i just graduated from there.. but the down fall is battle creek has alot of bad neighborhoods.. so no matter where you live 5 mins in any direction there is a bad neighborhood...

Old 11-02-2010, 01:54 PM

59 posts, read 236,239 times
I'd suggest looking at Richland if that's on your list - Gull Lakes schools have a good reputation and the area is really very nice. Gull Lake is a beautiful inland lake and the Kellogg Bird Sanctuary, etc. are fun nature trips for the kids. My impression is its a quiet and safe community. Added bonus: living in Richland would put you a short 15 minutes to downtown Kalamazoo where you'll find good restaurants and brewpubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan