Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2008, 08:09 PM

98 posts, read 321,426 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I've searched through the forum for info on Canton's Cherry Hill Village and found some info but it was from 2007. Can anyone give me updated info on it? Is it popular or failing miserably? Would it be wise to purchase a home there?

We found a home we like but it is still being built and according to our realtor there is no negotiating the price since a Livonia builder took it over. I'm not sure I believe that given the poor market.

Any thoughts on Cherry Hill Village is appreciated! And, so are opinions on the whole "non-negotiable" price of the homes there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 08:35 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,988 times
Know many people who live there. Reminds me of like a stepford wife kind of scenario. Too perfect.

There are lots of empty homes and it's being hit just as hard as any place in the area right now.

They still have a lot of developing to do, and there's really not anything to do in the downtown sort of area. It is a bit of a drive to a lot of the shopping which is all on Ford. A few miles, but pretty car dependent.

I think it will be a cool place....20 years from now when it's done and the trees have grown.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:58 AM

104 posts, read 375,142 times
We live in Plymouth but I have a friend that's building over there. But they went on vacation, then we went on vacation, etc... so I haven't had a chance to really chat in awhile.

I went for a drive over that way with her at first and the only thing that made me nervous for them was that most of the retail was empty. But there were people out and about. Kids riding bikes, people walking dogs. I did think the houses were very cute. Their take on it is that they're getting in now, when they couldn't have afforded it before and so they'll be in a good position when things turn around.

Another impression I got that while it was not close at all to Ford Rd., it wasn't *too* far either. But I think Ford Rd. is nuts. I won't get on that thing except to go to Ikea,lol. My husband on the other hand thought they were making the wrong choice to be so out "in the boonies". But then again they just built that new retail area on Michigan Ave. There's a Target, PetSmart, Home Depot, Krogers, and much more.

The elementary school over there is only a few years old and it did look really cute. Plymouth-Canton is known for having awesome schools, that's one big reason why we moved to Plymouth. Cherry Hill Village is within the district.

As far as things being non-negotiable, I would think in this market that pretty much everything has a bit of wiggle room. At the very least.

Sorry I don't have more info. The last I heard they were picking options and that was going well. In fact I do think there were even things they were getting thrown in at no charge. This is actually a good reminder that I need to call her,lol. I can pass on any info I get when we catch up.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:17 AM

98 posts, read 321,426 times
Thanks for the replies so far.
Theboysmom – after talking with your friend if you have any other thoughts on this area or negotiating with the builder I’d really appreciate it. In fact, we looked at two “models” yesterday that are actually homes being built. There is a good chance I went through your friend’s house! There are only a few that look to the point of choosing options.

We did like we saw but are still hesitant. It is a little further from the highway than we like (my fiancé works in Monroe so he has a drive already). Also, obviously the yards are small, which is part of the style, and the house seemed a bit small too – but you can’t beat brand new! My fiancé really wants to look at some older homes on the market to see if there are some at a good price that we could fix up a little. We are looking at some tomorrow in fact around Warren Rd – sort of the area just North of Ford, near Haggerty. We like this area b/c it’s close to Plymouth too which we LOVE!

It just seems in this market, although the price of the Cherry Hill Village is nice, we might be able to find an even better deal. Oh, what to do!

Old 07-25-2008, 11:18 AM

695 posts, read 3,410,988 times
That's why they call it a buyers market, lots of options.

My personal opinion, I would look at the older neighborhoods of Plymouth. The homes might require a little more maintenance over time, but they are what Cherry Hill Village is sort of trying to imitate...and they're the real thing, well established, and if you like Plymouth...it seems like it would be an easy choice. Plus, easy access to 275.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:45 AM

104 posts, read 375,142 times
Hey there. We are getting the kids together for a playdate next week. I'll either post or pm you any scoop I get.

And it's true, to a certain extent, about Plymouth. We didn't buy our house here all that long ago and while there are more homes for sale than when we bought ours, it's a far stretch from other places. Like downriver (where my entire family lives) where it really seems as if entire blocks are for sale. So there are deals to be had for sure, but not steals.

I personally love big old houses. Cherry Hill Village really struck me as cute, but I dig the vibe old houses bring. Reminds me of the home I grew up in. That one and the one we live in now were built in the early 1900s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan