Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 07:07 PM

13 posts, read 53,027 times

Advertisements

So my fiancé and I are thinking of moving to Troy, MI around March and I just had a few questions to anyone who lives in or close to Troy...

How are the jobs there?

Anything we should worry too much about?

Are there any good parks around the area I could take my two Yorkies to?

Also how is the traffic around that area? (I know here in Bowie, MD...the traffic can get very backed up very fast for a long time. I know in other places there are ways around all the traffic build ups.)

Thanks to anyone who answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 09:58 PM

44 posts, read 137,254 times
My parents live in Holly, MI and my dad commuted to Troy. It was only about a 45 minute drive, but it enabled them to have a more laid back lifestyle in a small town atmosphere. Holly is a cute little town. Now if they could only sell their house so they could move now that dad has retired. LOL

Old 08-29-2008, 10:20 PM

I picked a few apartments that i liked and my fiancé picked the one he liked which was one of my three it's the Eagles Landing of Troy.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:29 AM

123 posts, read 488,192 times
I have grown up in the area. More West Bloomfield/Farmington Hills. Anyhow I have a friend who lives in Troy. You are very close to many things. A lot of people take their animals and walk in downtown Birmingham and I think they have a little park. There is a major mall too called Somerset. If you google both you will get more info. You are also close to Royal Oak which has restaurants and clubs. The traffic can be bad but you are close to many express ways so you can take different routes depending if you are going with the rush hour traffic or against. Is your husband or self moving for a job? Does one of you still need to get a job?Any other ?'s feel free

Old 08-30-2008, 08:06 AM

He works at Micro Center which is one reason we picked the area. He can transfer. Right now I could not transfer because I work for a small company only located in Maryland. So unless I get a job that I could transfer, I would need to find a job there.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:07 AM

334 posts, read 1,498,586 times
Boulan park is nice for walking around too. It is on Crooks road. We were going to buy in Troy, since my husband works there, but opted for more home for the $$ in Shelby Twp. He has a longer commute time, but we are so close to great shopping. A fair trade off I guess.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:08 AM

I really want to move there, but I'm not sure we will go with the Eagles Landing of Troy because I've heard a lot of bad reviews about them.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:16 AM

123 posts, read 488,192 times
Awhile back I had called on these apts. I wanted central air though and these are not I don't think if I recall. I can try to help you if you tell me your price range. Have you looked on craigslist too?

Old 09-02-2008, 08:24 PM

I've gone through craigslist briefly, but haven't actually looked. We want to try to keep it under $800 a month for just rent. I know thats hard to do, but I know there are a few good places out there that are cheap.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:13 AM

915 posts, read 1,507,037 times
Good luck trying to keep rent under $800.

Traffic depends on how close you are to your job and what time you have to leave to get to work on time. Traffic can get backed up on Big Beaver (main/major street of Troy) during morning/evening rush hour.

There are plenty of parks in the area and the schools/library are top-rate. A lot of parents would do anything to have a Troy address - or get their kids into Troy schools.

The apartment complex I live in (North Ridge - in Rochester Hills) often has specials for under $800 (or close to it) and has a small town feel and borders on Troy. Also, check out [SIZE=3]Amber Apartments - Royal Oak, Clawson, Berkley and Troy, MI[/SIZE] or Sterling Commons in Sterling Heights, MI or keep checking craigslist. There are others in the area, but those are the ones that I have experienced and would recommend. I don't know how much Sterling commons or Amber rents for anymore-it's been a while since I've lived there, but they were nice apartments.

You can get the small town feel without living in Holly. Rochester Hills/Sterling Heights are a lot closer to Troy and depending on the neighborhood you can easily feel like you are in a small town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan