Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 01:10 PM

334 posts, read 1,497,763 times

Advertisements

I haven't had a sitter in decades...seriously. So today I need to pay a teenage girl to watch my elementary age children (two kids) and I haven't a clue how much cash to have ready. We will be gone about two hours.
Any help would be totally appreciated!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 01:52 PM

313 posts, read 1,195,116 times
We pay our sitter, who is a teacher from daycare $10 per hour. If I was having the neighbor kid sit for my kid I would probably give them a twenty anyway, since they are our neighbor kid...

Old 09-16-2008, 02:10 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaMichigander View Post
We pay our sitter, who is a teacher from daycare $10 per hour. If I was having the neighbor kid sit for my kid I would probably give them a twenty anyway, since they are our neighbor kid...
Same as I do here. A good babysitter is hard to find and when I find a good one I pay them enough they will drop a date to watch my kids if I need them to . Wouldn't expect it of course, but it has happened in the past that I found out later. Best baby sitter I ever had was a 17 year old boy a few years ago. Played catch with baseball, and football with my boys and rode bikes around the yard, went on "adventures" out through the woods behind the house . In other words he was payed to play and my kids LOVED him. Plus he was a very responsible kid and I have known his family forever.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:34 PM

132 posts, read 461,039 times
For 2 hours, I would pay $15, but I really think it varies by area. I also take into account age/ experience, time of day, whether they need to prepare a meal or drive somewhere, etc...

Old 09-16-2008, 02:46 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Our twin daughters get $5/hour regardless of whether one or both of them go. Some pay more. Some give them tips, especially if they return later than expected. It really varies. One family paid them $20/hour. That made them uncomfortable. They are 16, one of them is certified through a girl scout program (knows CPR) and extremely responsible. Both have excellent grades. they will take on up to six kids if both of them are there.
they are cheap, but they only work for families that they like. They have a friend who also gets $5/hour but the lady expects her to clean the house, cook her meals as well as the kids, do laundry and dishes, basically a babysitter and maid all rolled into one. She is also expeceted to drop whatever she is doing and come babysit anytime she is called. She is not going to work for that lady anymore. Our girls said they would not work for that lady for $100/hour. So it depends on you, on your kids, and on what you expect.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:49 PM

132 posts, read 461,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Our twin daughters get $5/hour regardless of whether one or both of them go. Some pay more. Some give them tips, especially if they return later than expected. It really varies. One family paid them $20/hour. That made them uncomfortable. They are 16, one of them is certified through a girl scout program (knows CPR) and extremely responsible. Both have excellent grades. they will take on up to six kids if both of them are there.
they are cheap, but they only work for families that they like. They have a friend who also gets $5/hour but the lady expects her to clean the house, cook her meals as well as the kids, do laundry and dishes, basically a babysitter and maid all rolled into one. She is also expeceted to drop whatever she is doing and come babysit anytime she is called. She is not going to work for that lady anymore. Our girls said they would not work for that lady for $100/hour. So it depends on you, on your kids, and on what you expect.
I'm glad to read that... I was starting to worry that I was too stingy!
I was only paid $2-3/hour to babysit when I was in high school, but that was a while ago...

Old 09-16-2008, 02:53 PM

334 posts, read 1,497,763 times
wow, Coldjensens I want your kids to babysit for me.
The girl was recommended by a friend, and her mom is driving her over, and we will drive her home. It is a big responsibility to watch kids, so I will pay for quality. We will only be gone about two hours, plus driving home time, so we will probably give her $20. I will ask her what she usually charges too, so we have some guidelines, but since it is her first time here, and it is such short notice I think we will go ahead and pay her $20. If my husband had to go get her it might be less.
Thanks for the help...gosh I used to get $1/hour...times have changed.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:33 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Just remember that you are settng the standard. If you pay less later, it may create some angst. It is a tough thing to determine. I thought that they were nuts to work for $5/hour for both of them, but they seem happy with the money and they certainly get as much work as they want - enough that they can pick and choose. the choose by the following criteria:

1. Easiest kids to deal with (it is important to them that the kids really love to have them come).

2. Nicest parents.

3. Hourly rate/tips.

4. Consistency - both in regualr requests and in the parents coming home at the time that they say that they will. One family said they would be home at 11 p.m. and di dnot get home until 2 a.m. They returned drunk and then wanted to drive our daughter home (just one that time). They gave her a $50 tip on top of her hourly rate, basically nice people with good kids, but she will never go back there again. they also like scheduled jobs (i.e. every Wednesday from 6 - 9) so that they can plan their social schedule around jobs and make accomodations for homework. They generally turn down last minute calls except on weekends.

Getting a sitter to come back involves a lot more issues than money.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:47 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Getting a sitter to come back involves a lot more issues than money.
Agreed! WE always came back at the time we said we would and never made it past 9 if it was a school night. If we say we will be gone 3 or 4 hours and are only gone 2, we still pay the 4 hours because we know they are counting on that income. We also tried to schedule way ahead of time.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:05 PM

5 posts, read 23,981 times
I usually get $10 per hour, or close to it, but I am a 22 year old college student with 10 years of sitter/nanny experience. I also CPR, first aid, and blood pathogens certified. I also have worked with very special needs kids and my major is in child psychology, and my minor is in elementary special ed.

So obviously, what you pay is based on their experiense level, certifications, age, and education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan