Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:23 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

I hear alot of talk about the autombile jobs leaving the state of Michigan and the economy going sour. I thought about something I read about Detroit needing to transform its economy to a free market, low tax system similar to that of Hong Kong or Singapore. Lower taxes could help the state. There also should be a plan to keep jobs in the state of Michigan. I think I could take it a bit further. A duty free port and Detroit could be that port. So could other places as well. I also thought about the possibility of building a canal through southern Michigan(this is just an idea, I have to look at the details), making it a shorter route for ocean freight to sail into Chicago. Building the canal would create jobs. There are probably some holes in my idea, but i have to study the details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 07:39 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
One minor hole. It would cost about $300 trillion to build a canal wide enough straight enough and deep enough for major shipping. then there is themaintenance cost of a billion or so a year. But the concept is good. If it were practical, it would be wonderful.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:18 PM

Perhaps cost is a factor. I thought about the Erie Canal though. The idea sounds good though. Do you think the canal could work is it was a privatized thing?

Old 09-30-2008, 02:21 PM

845 posts, read 3,271,626 times
There is no private entity with $300,000,000,000,000 ($300 trillion) on hand to build the canal.
Not when the cost of NOT having it is merely sailing north through the Straits of Mackinaw and back down to Chicago.

The difference with the Erie Canal is that it short-cuts the trip by much more than a Detroit-Chicago canal would.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suydam View Post
There is no private entity with $300,000,000,000,000 ($300 trillion) on hand to build the canal.
Not when the cost of NOT having it is merely sailing north through the Straits of Mackinaw and back down to Chicago.

The difference with the Erie Canal is that it short-cuts the trip by much more than a Detroit-Chicago canal would.
Isn't the distance from Detroit to Chicago shorter than the distance of sailing through Mackinac?

Old 11-08-2008, 04:37 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I hear alot of talk about the autombile jobs leaving the state of Michigan and the economy going sour. I thought about something I read about Detroit needing to transform its economy to a free market, low tax system similar to that of Hong Kong or Singapore. Lower taxes could help the state. There also should be a plan to keep jobs in the state of Michigan. I think I could take it a bit further. A duty free port and Detroit could be that port. So could other places as well. I also thought about the possibility of building a canal through southern Michigan(this is just an idea, I have to look at the details), making it a shorter route for ocean freight to sail into Chicago. Building the canal would create jobs. There are probably some holes in my idea, but i have to study the details.
Check on permits first.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:44 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,746 times
A similiar idea was attempted in Florida a few decades ago. They started building the cross FL barge canal across the Northern part of the state to shorten the distance between Gulf of Mexico ports and the Atlantic. Even though the project was ok'd and started it was later haulted because of environmental concerns.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:21 AM

845 posts, read 3,271,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Isn't the distance from Detroit to Chicago shorter than the distance of sailing through Mackinac?
Of course it is.
But the difference is the existing waterway is already "built."

Old 11-14-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suydam View Post
Of course it is.
But the difference is the existing waterway is already "built."
Where? And I am not talking about the Strait of Mackinac.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:19 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
This might have been a good idea in 1890 when canals were all the rage. With trains and trucks, shipping isn't that big a part of the Great Lakes economy. Most of the shipping is minerals taken out of the Great Lakes region and most easily transported via the Great Lakes. Plus, where's the water coming from to fill the canal? Drain the lakes?

The ecological cost, in an era when quality of life trumps mere financial return and it is critical that we create the most pristine ecosystem we can to attract and retain business, would be astounding.

The low tax idea is just conventional Republicanism. Problem is that they've tried countless empowerment zones where taxes are slashed and delayed to try to spur development. It hardly ever works - and certainly hasn't in Detroit.

Perhaps wise investments in quality of life would be smarter. Tear down highways, build mass transit, increase walkability, invest in quality open space and clean beaches. As people have the flexibilty to live wherever they want, most in the educated creative class are turning to cities that have focused on quality of life. Michigan sold its soul to automobile development and is now paying a hefty price.

As one example, New Yorkers pay some of the highest taxes in the country, yet most are happy to because they perceive it as a quality ROI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: