Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 05:33 PM

195 posts, read 972,780 times

Advertisements

I have a buddy from out of state who's applying to NMU for Fall of 2009. His GF is also going to be attending the same school so they'll be living together. The question is about where to find rental listings. Says their limit is $700/mo for a 2 bdrm (needs room for his music stuff). Is Marquette expensive or does anyone recommend he find a place outside of town?

I have neither been up there nor researched the UP so I'm no help to him 'cept that I'll probably have to help him move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 05:53 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Best place to look for rentals is miningjournal.net (I think that's the website - it's the Mining Journal newspaper, under classifieds).

Marquette isn't expensive. $700 can get you a decent 2 bedroom. It's about $350-$400 a bedroom here. A lot of group houses with the university nearby, too, if they want even cheaper rent (like $200 a month) and more of a social experience.

It's a nice city. Hope they enjoy it.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:35 PM

217 posts, read 607,969 times
Try the NMU Dean of Students Off Campus Housing List.

Off Campus Housing List*| NMU Dean of Students

The listings vary from apartments, townhouses, and houses to rent, some of which are just a room in a house to rent with other students, others full apartments/houses available.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:37 PM

Hey thanks a bunch Bluefly and Spaceghost. I'll forward him those links.

Is Marquette generally a safe place? I'm going to help the two of them move, but I'd definitely want to bring my family up there to visit sometime.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:19 PM

I never lock my doors, leave my keys in the car all the time, and pick up hitchhikers. Never had a problem.

Just stay away from the lake during a storm - people get killed out there more than anywhere.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:44 PM

760 posts, read 2,441,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I never lock my doors, leave my keys in the car all the time, and pick up hitchhikers. Never had a problem.

Just stay away from the lake during a storm - people get killed out there more than anywhere.
Absolutely agree with Bluefly (except I haven't picked up any hitchhikers). I've been all over the U.S. and this is by far the safest city I've ever lived in (okay, I live past Marquette mountain now but I used to live in the city).

Also agree with Bluefly & Spaceghost's earlier posts regarding rents in the area.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:26 AM

217 posts, read 607,969 times
Yep, ditto what Bluefly said. I leave my house unlocked but my two dogs will hold down the fort I've given random people rides a few times. Hard crime is a rarity up here. Most are drunken idiots and drugs...it is a college town, after all. But in terms of shootings, murders, things like that...nope!

Now, there are a few parts of town that I consider a bit more dumpy than the rest, but on a whole it's pretty nice.

If they decide to rent outside of town, do not rent at Sawyer (20 miles south of MQT where the airport is located). Rent is cheap there for a reason. That area is like the hood of the central U.P.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:56 PM

no renting in Sawyer – duly noted. Do you guys like living up there over all? I mean I always thought it would be nice to move somewhere rural, like a small city far from everything else, but I'd hate to become bored.. Is it boring during the winter or do most of you have snowmobiles or do some x-country skiing? I don't get bored easily.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:51 PM

760 posts, read 2,441,425 times
Bored?? Just about any outdoor activity you can possibly imagine can be done here. Plus there is the movie theatre, stage theatres, college & community sports, clubs, bowling, indoor/outdoor ice rinks, assortment of nightspots depending on your tastes, art galleries and many other various things to spend your time exploring or doing.
We may be a small city on the edge of the wilderness, but we sure have a lot packed into it!
If you are bored here, it's a state of mind...... not a lack of things to see/do.

We love it here! I've lived in several places around the U.S. and this is my favorite place so far. We came very close to moving to another state a few months back (transferring within spouses company) but we turned it down. We just couldn't leave this place.

Employment can be a problem depending on what you need, but that seems to be commonplace nowadays.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:36 PM

If you were moving from, like, New York or LA you'd probably find it woefully boring. Coming from a city the size of Grand Rapids, not so much.

You have what you need to be culturally satiated - movie theatres, theatres, upscale nightlife, downscale nightlife, dance clubs, good restaurants, cheap restaurants, big box stores, independent bookstores...

Then, you also have the benefit of being five minutes to the beach or the woods.

So, for the right people, Marquette's really an ideal place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan