Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 05:08 AM

274 posts, read 998,190 times

Advertisements

when i was looking over my current insurance policy i realized how expensive michigan was... for whatever reason. even the insurance rep said so.

along with a no-fault insurance policy (which to me is weird) plus a mandatory PIP - personal injury protection program - that by law needs to be in your michigan auto policy, no wonder why the premiums across different insurance companies are relatively high.

guess i'm used to paying less than $500 every 6 mths on a clean record - and i drive a grocery getter. i'm now paying $150 more! wth??? i wouldn't be surprised if higher insurance rates were seen in states i would expect like in CA, CT, or NJ... definitely not michigan.

anyone one have insight as to why it's so darn expensive? i mean the money sure isn't going to the roads by any means or people really taking care of their cars (i see many cars everyday with rust eating away at their fenders). and with a no-fault clause, personally, i think that's the dumbest policy because even if it's not your fault for an accident you still pay something. that reason alone would make me think that the premiums should be lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 05:34 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,232 times
What insurance are you with? I found out that progressive is the cheapest for us.
We pay full coverage for both our Vehicles for 224 a Month. Thats for an 04 and a 02 .

Age has something to do with this also.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:44 AM

274 posts, read 998,190 times
i'm with USAA. i know age has to do with it too, but i'm just surprised that my premium increased by 150! that's insane.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:56 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
You could move to the Northeast and pay a LOT more. I just moved back from a couple of years in Maine and all my insurance rates dropped in half as soon as I was in Michigan. Auto, health, etc... all took a huge drop in price. It could be the area you are in has more traffic or higher risk than the area you are coming from as well. That plays into insurance rates in a big way. Also is your commute to work much longer than before? I never have changed insurance companies that they didn't ask that, the longer you are in your vehicle each day, they think the higher risk you may get in an accident. (At least that is how an agent answered that question for me once.)

I went with Frankenmuth Insurance (VERY highly rated, much higher than any of the "big" names) and it was cheaper than any of the other companies I looked at.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:57 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,232 times
I never even heard of that ins.

maybe time to call around for another quote?

Old 10-23-2008, 07:30 AM

478 posts, read 1,657,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutt Roh View Post
when i was looking over my current insurance policy i realized how expensive michigan was... for whatever reason. even the insurance rep said so.

along with a no-fault insurance policy (which to me is weird) plus a mandatory PIP - personal injury protection program - that by law needs to be in your michigan auto policy, no wonder why the premiums across different insurance companies are relatively high.

guess i'm used to paying less than $500 every 6 mths on a clean record - and i drive a grocery getter. i'm now paying $150 more! wth??? i wouldn't be surprised if higher insurance rates were seen in states i would expect like in CA, CT, or NJ... definitely not michigan.

anyone one have insight as to why it's so darn expensive? i mean the money sure isn't going to the roads by any means or people really taking care of their cars (i see many cars everyday with rust eating away at their fenders). and with a no-fault clause, personally, i think that's the dumbest policy because even if it's not your fault for an accident you still pay something. that reason alone would make me think that the premiums should be lower.
We just moved to SC from MI and our rates went up here. But to be honest -- I don't know if that's because of the move -- or would have happened. We had a group AAA insurance for probably 20 years -- and it was suppose to be cheaper. We added our teen son up there -- but moving here -- it was a whole new ballgame, and we went from average to around almost $2700 a year. But I have noticed in SC, I've NEVER seen so many car accidents -- and I'm truly not exaggerating.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:06 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,943,404 times
I have never known AAA to be the cheapest. Especially when it comes to a teenager. They will gouge you. I was with them for years and when my kids became teens, they just added them on. Didn't even inform me until after I received the bill and questioned the increase. Then, even after my kids moved on their own, they were still trying to bill me for them!!!

I mean really, when does it become a kid's responsibility and not the parents. Both kids were over 18.

Also, depends on your zipcode. Insurance is a rip. You pay for years with no claims and then you have one and get cancelled or rate hikes. What did I pay for 20 years for? Where did that money go? BS!

Old 10-23-2008, 09:49 AM

536 posts, read 1,870,897 times
Remember that Michigan is one of those states that can base your car insurance on your credit score. Of the 13 or so companies I think maybe only 2 do no use it as a basis for your rate (state farm is one).

Found this out back in my twenties when I could of cared less about my credit. I had moved a mile down the road and my insurance went from 80 bucks to about 160 a month! This was with a clean driving record too. Allstate was the company. I haven't used them since. Using my credit is fine if they would of told me up front.
Ever wonder why they take your SSN? Not just to verify who you are.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:57 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
About insurance. Most basic policies has uninsured coverage. Good you need that. Make sure it is $500,000. Also you need UNDER INSURED!!!! $500,0000. Most drivers have some coverage, just not enough. Not all company offers this. Look around, it is very important.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:02 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sike0000 View Post
Remember that Michigan is one of those states that can base your car insurance on your credit score. Of the 13 or so companies I think maybe only 2 do no use it as a basis for your rate (state farm is one).
That was overturned in Aug 2008. Also the use of Credit scores in determining insurance rates in Michigan was to LOWER rates for those with higher credit scores and not raise those with lower scores. Read house bill 4070 for the way it was written and approved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan