Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 12:19 PM

11 posts, read 57,318 times

Advertisements

I just got a job offer in Saginaw and I've been hearing some scary things about Saginaw. The job will require a lot of travel in the city. I want to know if the city is safe enough for a 22 year old female on her own. Any information on Saginaw will be helpful - the more detailed the better.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 01:34 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Maybe take some self defense classes first.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:58 PM

Yeah, that's what I've been dreading. I'm a pretty sheltered girl and I want to know if I'm just being a wuss if I don't take this job. It's a really good position and the pay is decent (being my first job out of college and all) and I would've taken the job in a heartbeat if it wasn't in Saginaw. I guess I'm just working on a pro-con list right now - I have to have a decision by Thursday afternoon.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:12 PM

293 posts, read 850,050 times
I think it would be fine, honestly. I work in a very bad part of Saginaw and have never felt unsafe, you just have to use common sense (lock your car doors, look behind you in parking lots, etc). Even in the worst neighborhoods in Saginaw, you're still most at risk if you're hanging around outside after dark. Obviously I can't offer guarantees like "there will be no problems" because then sure enough something would happen, and of course Saginaw overall has a higher crime rate than average, but as someone who grew up in the city of Saginaw and works in "the projects" (e.g. one of the worst parts of the city), I can say that a lot of the negative hype about Saginaw is overblown. In today's tight job economy I would really question whether it was wise to turn down a good job just because it's in Saginaw - though I *would* advise actually living in a better part of the area, such as the township, Freeland, Auburn, or even Midland (though you'd have a longer drive).

Old 11-19-2008, 10:18 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,808 times
I lived in the area all my life and as well worked on the east side without ever a issues. In fact use to walk at lunch time. I would say if you are moving there from another state be sure this job is worth it. WE had to move out of Michigan last Summer because there aren't many jobs. If you loose your job you might not get another one.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:17 PM

I live about 2 hours away from Saginaw. I'll be working kitty corner from the Dow Event Center, is that area particularly safe. Yeah I know the economy is really bad right now, especially Michigan - so I'm really confused.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:16 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,917,126 times
mace is $10-$20, get one. you should be fine

Old 11-20-2008, 07:41 AM

258 posts, read 1,000,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiris03 View Post
I just got a job offer in Saginaw and I've been hearing some scary things about Saginaw. The job will require a lot of travel in the city. I want to know if the city is safe enough for a 22 year old female on her own. Any information on Saginaw will be helpful - the more detailed the better.

Thanks!
Unless you're desperate for a job, I'd pass on it. Yes, you "may" not have any problems, but Saginaw struggles with high crime and the same deterioration of its "inner self" as so many Michigan towns do. I'd sure not want to be having to spend lots of time moving around in the inner city on a job there. I hope you have some other options!

Old 11-20-2008, 12:56 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,808 times
Well I been to that area several times. If you have a good job with a stable company take it. I love Michigan and Saginaw. I grew up there but for the last 17 years lived in Reese. There is crime in Saginaw and I don't know where there isn't. THe ecomomy isn't great and when it goes down crime goes up more. If this is a day job it would be better. There are alot of people who work at the State building which isn't far from the place you said. There are good places to live in Saginaw but I just would be sure the job is worth it. If you loose the job it would be hard to find another one.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:03 AM

4 posts, read 42,916 times
l moved to Saginaw County in 1995, and moved out in 1997. For a 22 year old young woman, I would not recommend Saginaw as a place to live and/or work. If your job requires that you travel throughout the entire city, you might want to reconsider. The tone of the city is pretty negative, street crime and gang activity is a daily thing. Your risk is mitigated by doing smart things like developing a social life outside of the Saginaw/Beuna Vista/Bridgeport area. In addition all of the recommendations previously mentioned are good advice, but keep in mind, Saginaw has been living in normal hard times for the last 5 to 6 years. We are entering a more acute stage of hard times right now. In a period of acute hard times, more people feel despair, and the chance of criminal behavior increases because the consequences of getting caught is less than the benefits of the criminal behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan