Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your opinion of investing in Pontiac real estate?
Great idea! 2 14.29%
You're Nuts! 12 85.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,482 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I have a chance to purchase a turnkey property in Pontiac with renters in place, single family dwelling for under 70K. I'd be purchasing sight unseen and I would be holding the property for a minimum of five years. Does this sound like a wise investment?
Very grateful for your feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 07:52 PM

8,420 posts, read 7,422,672 times
No. It's not a wise investment. Especially because you're purchasing a five year commitment "sight unseen" in a state that could very well be in an economic depression if General Motors fails.

Pontiac is the most financially distressed city in Oakland County. Due to the lack of funding the city of Pontiac has already cut its police force back beyond the bone. Violent crime and murder are reaching new heights (or rather, new lows) for Pontiac.

Your tennants could very well be gone in three months; you'd be stuck for a minimum five year commitment.

Anything else you'd like to know about your proposed investment?

Old 11-15-2008, 08:17 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,767,296 times
The phrase "sight unseen" scares me. The center of Pontiac is undergoing gentrification and Indian Village is a very nice neighborhood, but there are some other areas that the rats enter only in pairs. If you want a fixer-upper on the cheap, Pontiac is the city for you, but don't even CONSIDER buying sight unseen!!!

Old 11-17-2008, 09:47 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,917,628 times
you should post this in a more appropriate forum.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:40 PM

106 posts, read 536,013 times
Nooo i would never reccommend investing in Pontiac real estate. Pontiac is the ghetto of otherwise wealthy Oakland County, and low property values and high crime were a part of life there even during the height of the real estate boom. There are numerous abandoned homes, horrible crime, dysfunctional public schools and a relatively poor population. If you invest in Pontiac at all, I would invest in the northern part of the city, near the Auburn Hills border. This area of Pontiac is actually lower-middle to upper-middle class. However, the southern portion of Pontiac can be as bad as Detroit in some places.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:13 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,584,330 times
Terrible idea. Honestly, just the fact that you have to ask about it says you aren't ready for investing. R.E. investing can be done, with the proper education. You must first drown yourself in educational materials (not the ones from TV).

Most mainstream R.E. courses are worthless. There are many good ones, but they are developed by people most haven't heard of. Simply because the successful investors are actually out there doing it instead of selling some pipe dream.

Go to your local real estate investing clubs, talk to the SUCCESSFUL people. You can PM me for some resources.

Don't make too much though or you'll be considered "wealthy."

Old 11-20-2008, 07:28 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,917,628 times
please don't listen to these people. everyone thinks they are experts in real estate.

just do a search in the local area for rentals and find out what the going price is for the area around that home. 70k isn't bad, you only need to make $500-600 a month to cashflow it, assuming you paid 70k for it. i have a client who has been a slumlord in pontiac for 20 years and he wouldn't have it any other way. his rentals are in the heart of the ghetto.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:29 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,584,330 times
If you're paying $70K for a place that only rents for $600 per month you will soon go broke. That's not even close to 1% of the purchase price, which is the minimum most REAL investors look at. Most want 1.5-2% in rents.

Also being a slumlord is the lowest of the lows. A lot of people already have bad opinions of realtors, and then one comes on here suggesting someone to be a slumlord. Nice...

One could say don't listen to realtors on here. They all think they are experts in real estate investing...

Old 12-13-2008, 06:56 AM

2 posts, read 5,482 times
Default Done with research

Thank you for all of the feedback; I've made my decision based on all of the responses and more research, and, of course, the news. I'm purchasing locally, I will not be a slumlord, present news does not bode well for that part of the country. I am a real estate broker myself and not all of us are alike. I am very successful and have not had to sacrifice others' well being in the meantime. Luke, please don't color a group based on the few; and Broker Dave, I don't know if you're a member of NAR, but our membership would really appreciate more responsible representation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan