Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 11:15 AM

189 posts, read 522,451 times

Advertisements

I originally wasn't going to reply to this topic because of how ridiculous it sounds and I honestly couldn't believe that anyone was serious about this.

But, it's become apparent that even if it's not serious people are going to treat it that way... so I'll throw my opinion into the mix.

My main thought? I can't imagine that anybody with an internet connection, and especially nobody here on this forum, has any experience with a true "gangster" lifestyle, or even what may actually define that ridiculous term. If you're looking for people to tell you how "gangster" something is, you probably won't be getting anywhere if you're looking on your computer.

If you're just looking for the highest amount of completely obnoxious teenagers who think that looking intimidating and pretending to be criminals, you're probably end up finding most of those "gangsters" in the suburbs. Try starting in the trailer parks of Schwartz Creek, you'll find plenty of rude teenagers there who'd like to make you think that they're "gangsters".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 11:18 AM

850 posts, read 1,898,619 times
i used to take art classes at the flint institute of arts. i know it seems pretty safe around the cultural center, but i never had any problems. also used to spend some time at the u of m athletic center.....again no problems and i rather enjoyed the time i've spent in flint.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:10 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
I am from the Flint area and the only area I have ever felt uncomfortable in is the north side (Clio Rd, Pierson Rd, etc...). My mom grew up on the east side (grandparents lived there until they passed), so I am very familiar with that area.
I went to UMF and the only time I didn't feel 100% safe is when I took a class that got out at 10pm in the White Building (where Autoworld was, along 5th/Robert T.).
On the flip side, I was detoured a few weeks ago in Detroit after a Tigers game and ended up in an area I felt VERY unsafe in. I have NEVER felt that way in Flint.

Both have their problems, obviously. I personally feel safer in Flint. However, there are parts of both cities I wouldn't hang around in, even in the daylight.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:12 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
Props to my Flint homies.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
'Gangster'...don't know why, I just associate 'gangster' with other cities like L.A., Atlanta, Houston, etc.

Crime-wise though, neither Flint or Detroit is any good...but I think most people know Detroit is just worse...Flint is up there though.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:07 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUCache View Post
I originally wasn't going to reply to this topic because of how ridiculous it sounds and I honestly couldn't believe that anyone was serious about this.

But, it's become apparent that even if it's not serious people are going to treat it that way... so I'll throw my opinion into the mix.

My main thought? I can't imagine that anybody with an internet connection, and especially nobody here on this forum, has any experience with a true "gangster" lifestyle, or even what may actually define that ridiculous term. If you're looking for people to tell you how "gangster" something is, you probably won't be getting anywhere if you're looking on your computer.

If you're just looking for the highest amount of completely obnoxious teenagers who think that looking intimidating and pretending to be criminals, you're probably end up finding most of those "gangsters" in the suburbs. Try starting in the trailer parks of Schwartz Creek, you'll find plenty of rude teenagers there who'd like to make you think that they're "gangsters".

I hate to see people give PROPS for negative rankings. The number of lives shattered by murder and violence should not be given PROPS. I was visiting my parents over the Holidays with my wife and kids. Gun Shots rang through the night.....had to get on the floor. There is nothing glamours about growing up in such an environment. People might like telling people they are FROM a bad area....as it might give one a certain amount of respect for surving it. However, when you are IN an bad area....its a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan