Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:13 PM

26 posts, read 118,866 times

Advertisements

I'm a single, 33-year-old woman and am considering a move to Houghton. I work from home so finding a job is not a problem. I'd like to find a nice town where I can get involved in the community and meet others around my age (late 20's to early 40's). And, I won't lie - it would be great if those "others" were single & male.

I'm not looking for a party town, not into the bar scene, etc. More just a place where I can meet some nice folks, find a good church, and maybe get involved w/ community or volunteer events.

Any thoughts on whether Houghton would be a good move for me? Thanks in advance!

Kiki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 08:30 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
http://www.owossomichigan.com (broken link)It's not Houghton, but I live near a smallish town called Owosso. It's a very friendly town of about 17,000 and has many good stores like walmart, home depot, Meijers and so on. Despite the economy it is doing quite well. Also close to all the bigger cities and freeways. It is a very nice place to live.

Last edited by michmoldman; 01-09-2009 at 09:07 PM..

Old 01-09-2009, 08:50 PM

112 posts, read 348,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntedHouse View Post
I'm a single, 33-year-old woman and am considering a move to Houghton. I work from home so finding a job is not a problem. I'd like to find a nice town where I can get involved in the community and meet others around my age (late 20's to early 40's). And, I won't lie - it would be great if those "others" were single & male.

I'm not looking for a party town, not into the bar scene, etc. More just a place where I can meet some nice folks, find a good church, and maybe get involved w/ community or volunteer events.

Any thoughts on whether Houghton would be a good move for me? Thanks in advance!

Kiki

GR Baby.

33 and male here. Yo!

Why Houghton? There is nothing there and the winters are looooooong. It's a great place to visit though.

Houghton, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-10-2009, 06:36 AM

119 posts, read 284,795 times
Well I live about 20 miles from Houghton. I is a pretty quiet place in the summer and even more so now. If work is not a problem you have cleared the first and highest hurdle. If your life revolves around shopping then don't come. We have a super Wal mart and a few others but the one and only mall is almost dead. This is a great area for outdoor sports both winter and summer. It is a college town so there are a lot of things going on with that. I would strongly suggest a visit first, in winter, to see if you can handle that.
If you are looking to buy a house you will find many choices in a large price range. Real estate is dirt cheap here compared to most places. Reason being again the weather and limited economic opportunities. Good luck

Old 01-10-2009, 07:51 PM

26 posts, read 118,866 times
Thank you all for your feedback. I may be underestimating the winter. I like it cold but sunny.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:32 PM

22 posts, read 87,339 times
You won't find sunny most days in a Houghton winter, the lake effect snow comes along with gray skys. I just finished 5 years of school there. I loved it but it is not a place for just anyone.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:23 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Default Sunny Marquette !

You might want to consider Marquette as a place to live. Even though we do have a lot of snow , we also have a lot of sunny days in the winter. Its warmer here in winter than Houghton as well.
Comparing down State with here , its much more sunny here. I lived on Lake Michigan in SW Mi. and the winters were very overcast , with the clouds coming off the big lake. We have wonderful beaches , lots of singles, and lots of opportunities to meet like kind folks. Check it out , before you make a move , you might regret.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:34 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Petoskey, my sweet! Single and 39 right here! You'd love Emmet County!

Old 01-13-2009, 10:51 AM

968 posts, read 2,589,580 times
I hope you like snow and college kids.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:24 AM

265 posts, read 801,648 times
I have been to Houghton many times in summer and only once in winter. I could live there if I could find a good-paying job. I imagine climate (temperature/snow) is pretty similar to the Petoskey / Traverse City area but it looks like there are not too many things to do up there to get you through the long winter season. But there are many opportunities for winter outdoor activities so it helps if you can handle the cold.

http://wulfers.net/pictures/michigan3/files/page70-1019-full.jpg (broken link)

http://wulfers.net/pictures/michigan3/files/page70-1020-full.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan