Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 05:22 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times

Advertisements

It seems like there are a lot of threads here about how "everybody is leaving". Maybe the media is portraying that but I haven't seen any real sources for it. Yesterday in an MSNBC article they said California was the leading state with population leaving followed by another state I can't remember but not Michigan. So is everyone really leaving? How bout people post any actual stastical evidence they find?

The population of Michigan in 2008 was listed at this site
Michigan - Population Finder - American FactFinder
9, 928,444

Similar to here.

Population by State, 1790 to 2007 — Infoplease.com

So seems pretty static, which I would guess that some people are leaving and some people are moving back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 06:37 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,167 times
From 2000-2006 Michigan grew 1.6% in fact it is growing but it's mainly from a natural increase.
Net gain is calculated by natural increase (births) + in-migration (transplants) + immigration - deaths.

CA on the other hand grew 7.6% from 2000-2006. People are moving out in droves in California, but they are mainly the middle-class White Americans. Those that are moving in are mainly immigrants.

The only three states that have probably Lost population is Louisiana (after Katrina), D.C. (people moving to the suburbs in VA and MD) and NY (similar trend to CA but less immigrants than CA).

2010 Census will be conducted soon, it will be interesting to see an actual estimate of the past decade.

Michigan QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 01-15-2009, 06:49 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
The Mays Business School at Texas A&M has a great site that shows population growth, migration, etc..

Population and Household Data

Keep in mind though that these are all estimates, as the census is only done every 10 years (and even the census does revisions after they are finished).

RangerDuke has it right that there are a lot of factors that effect population growth. If you're interested in where people are moving to and from, then Net Domestic Migration and International Immigration are the statistics you want to pay attention to.

Here's where they put Michigan's estimate:

Michigan Population and Components of Change

According to their estimates, Michigan has moved into population loss territory (even with births outnumbering deaths).

California has lost over 1 Million people to Domestic Migration since 2000:

California Population and Components of Change

New York has lost about 1 Million people due to Domestic Migration since 2001:

New York Population and Components of Change

Old 01-15-2009, 06:56 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
It seems like there are a lot of threads here about how "everybody is leaving". Maybe the media is portraying that but I haven't seen any real sources for it. Yesterday in an MSNBC article they said California was the leading state with population leaving followed by another state I can't remember but not Michigan. So is everyone really leaving? How bout people post any actual stastical evidence they find?

The population of Michigan in 2008 was listed at this site
Michigan - Population Finder - American FactFinder
9, 928,444

Similar to here.

Population by State, 1790 to 2007 — Infoplease.com

So seems pretty static, which I would guess that some people are leaving and some people are moving back.
About the posts and threads. Remain mindful we have one poster that has used over 20 screen names. Four in one thread. This could gives a slanted impression, as it is intended to do.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:03 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
I have been in Michigan all my life (42 years), and know quite a few people, and have only known a few people who have moved. My sister who moved to NC over 15 years ago, and a cousin who moved to Florida 10 yrs ago. I mean....the way people talk you would think people are leaving so fast that Michigan would be empty in a few years, but its pretty interesting to see it may not be all true. I have never really thought that many people were leaving. maybe its just heresay. You know...people who know people who say they are leaving but never do.
I am interested in seeing what happens when people from all over the U.S move to where they hear the jobs are, then have to fight thousands of other people to get those jobs.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:07 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
My mothers whole side of the family are from Michigan. Out of all those people, we were the only ones that moved. That was in 1980, and I have since moved back.........with no regrets I might add!

Old 01-15-2009, 07:08 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I have been in Michigan all my life (42 years), and know quite a few people, and have only known a few people who have moved. My sister who moved to NC over 15 years ago, and a cousin who moved to Florida 10 yrs ago. I mean....the way people talk you would think people are leaving so fast that Michigan would be empty in a few years, but its pretty interesting to see it may not be all true. I have never really thought that many people were leaving. maybe its just heresay. You know...people who know people who say they are leaving but never do.
I am interested in seeing what happens when people from all over the U.S move to where they hear the jobs are, then have to fight thousands of other people to get those jobs.
I think it's a state of mind. If you're educated, and in a rapidly growing economy, and unemployed (or unemployable), you feel like it's just you and you need to work harder finding a job. If you're educated, and in a stagnant economy, and unemployed, you're just stewing and trying to blame everyone for your troubles (including the Governor, or a union that you don't even work for). Haha! As if the Governor has much to do with individual jobs (except for the guys fixing roads).

Old 01-15-2009, 07:27 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
D.C. (people moving to the suburbs in VA and MD)
For the record, with the generational shift away from suburbia back to urban living, DC has actually seen modest population increases due mainly to middle class residents.

But yeah, overall I'm not sure there's a huge rush for the door. For all the extremist talk, one would be hard pressed to find rows upon rows of for sale signs anywhere beyond the worst neighborhoods in Detroit (and those have been that way long before this current situation). Traffic certainly seems to be just as bad, if not worse, in the metro Detroit area.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:35 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
They were saying the same thing in the 1980s, remember the bumper stickers? "Will the last person to leave Michigan, please turn out the lights" The lights are still on.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:40 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They were saying the same thing in the 1980s, remember the bumper stickers? "Will the last person to leave Michigan, please turn out the lights" The lights are still on.
We had that same saying in Florida , when all the Cubans came in in the 70s and 80s. Miami was very hard hit , lifestyle changed. A lot of Michiganders moved back north.........part way , to NC. They are now called half backs.
The exodus from Florida is still going on , most could not stand the heat and humidity. I was one of them.
The real changes in Michigan were when all the people from the Mid-South and West VA. came up to work in the car factories. They brought all their trash with them......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan