Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 05:59 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Bay City should have known what was going on. After all , when they installed the limiter , they assumed the liability. Thats what will come up at trial, or discovery. ( Knowing all along , that the power will go off by their design )..... its called negligence. When power goes off as a result of nature or unknown malfunction , they have an out.
Yes, and when you do not pay your bill that happens. The negligence was his. How much do you think an old man's life is worth??? Yes, there are charts for this. BTW, just whose loss was it?? Someone who did not care enough to check on him?

Last edited by Driller1; 02-08-2009 at 07:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 06:30 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Yes, and when you do not pay your bill that happens. The negligence was his. How much do you think an old man's life is worth??? Yes, there are charts for this.
No , The old man did not install the limiter. Not paying your bill is not negligence , its ether deliberate , or in protest ( disputed ). Was he told what they were doing ? , Did they determine that he understood what was happening ?....... As to worth of life . I would love to have them bring that up if I was the attorney. By stating they considered his life worth little because of his age , ..well , that establishes motive. They would lose , if it went to a jury.

As a sidebar here , we don't know , could be the old man was committing suicide. Or , he had decided death would be the best protest. Who knows ?
You will be old some day , your thoughts may change , depending on your mental state. Most are put in nursing homes , forgotten , to die. Yes , Doctors also make decisions , for very old people. Its just not public knowledge..... However , we don't know what shape this Guy was in. That should have been up to the medical people , not the Power Company.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
No , The old man did not install the limiter. Not paying your bill is not negligence , its ether deliberate , or in protest ( disputed ). Was he told what they were doing ? , Did they determine that he understood what was happening ?....... As to worth of life . I would love to have them bring that up if I was the attorney. By stating they considered his life worth little because of his age , ..well , that establishes motive. They would lose , if it went to a jury.

As a sidebar here , we don't know , could be the old man was committing suicide. Or , he had decided death would be the best protest. Who knows ?
You will be old some day , your thoughts may change , depending on your mental state. Most are put in nursing homes , forgotten , to die. Yes , Doctors also make decisions , for very old people. Its just not public knowledge..... However , we don't know what shape this Guy was in. That should have been up to the medical people , not the Power Company.
Yes, most old people that age are in a home because they can't make healthy decisions. There are insurance charts to LEGALLY determine worth. Who is your client? You know they would be question.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:01 PM

290 posts, read 637,423 times
Quote:
Yes, and when you do not pay your bill that happens. The negligence was his. How much do you think an old man's life is worth??? Yes, there are charts for this. BTW, just whose loss was it?? Someone you did not care enough to check on him?
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u16/gregg1971/ss176.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-08-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Yes, most old people that age are in a home because they can't make healthy decisions. There are insurance charts to LEGALLY determine worth. Who is your client? You know they would be question.
You are misinformed. There are no charts determining " worth "..... What I think you are trying to say is " earning power as relates to age ". Has nothing to do with someone 92 or 93. You can not put a value on life. We are talking about , pain , suffering , and compassion. NOTE: Somewhere out there is a distant relative that will come forward. If not this time ,then next , when it happens again. Bay City needs to rethink the use of these limiters.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
You are misinformed. There are no charts determining " worth "..... What I think you are trying to say is " earning power as relates to age ". Has nothing to do with someone 92 or 93. You can not put a value on life. We are talking about , pain , suffering , and compassion. NOTE: Somewhere out there is a distant relative that will come forward. If not this time ,then next , when it happens again. Bay City needs to rethink the use of these limiters.
Bay City has discontinued the limiters. There are life expectancy charts. Insurance companies use then all the time. In fact I believe 77.4 years is the average age of death in a male. When I have time I'll look...

Old 02-08-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Bay City has discontinued the limiters. There are life expectancy charts. Insurance companies use then all the time. In fact I believe 77.4 years is the average age of death in a male. When I have time I'll look...
Good. What has an Insurance company got to do with anything ? Don't bother looking it up , different subject.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Good. What has an Insurance company got to do with anything ? Don't bother looking it up , different subject.
They would be used in a court of law to determine value. I know that sounds cold but, they have to have a base line on what a case is worth. The case would be against the power company's insurance. That is another problem, who would take a case with no or very little value???

Old 02-08-2009, 09:24 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,912,116 times
^
I think the sensationalism of the case would first of all be an appealing case for the attorneys and may fetch a hefty monetary award from a jury.

Sometimes people (juries) react to very outrageous and neglible actions of corporations and governmental agencies.

So you never know.

also, those insurance charts are used to calculate actual damages, but PUNITIVE damages (purpose is to PUNISH a company or individual so that they will not do the action again) can be MUCH MUCH higher, not to mention the pain and suffering that someone goes through... that will actually be considered as well.

It is more than the age of this man, pain and suffering and PUNITIVE damages.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
^
I think the sensationalism of the case would first of all be an appealing case for the attorneys and may fetch a hefty monetary award from a jury.

Sometimes people (juries) react to very outrageous and neglible actions of corporations and governmental agencies.

So you never know.

also, those insurance charts are used to calculate actual damages, but PUNITIVE damages (purpose is to PUNISH a company or individual so that they will not do the action again) can be MUCH MUCH higher, not to mention the pain and suffering that someone goes through... that will actually be considered as well.

It is more than the age of this man, pain and suffering and PUNITIVE damages.
OK!!! Who gets the money??? You have no client. How was a long lost relative damaged??? They had no contact, remember, the man froze to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan