Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 12:22 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,772,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
what exactly is a restrictive device. How does it work? Can you use PART of electricity? Is it enough to turn on your furnace?

Actually, that would be a good idea to help out someone in financial straits, limited electrical service... just enough to at least kick on the furnace.

Is this what restrictive service mean?
It means that once the electrical use passes a certain point it shuts off automatically. Which in this weather means certain death. There is no way it's not going to shut off too soon to keep the furnace igniting (even if it runs on gas the igniter's electric), just because of the number of hours of darkness daily. How that's not considered wrongdoing in these temperatures??? I just can't get over that part. Is this really the power company's idea of working with the indigent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 12:34 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,370,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
It means that once the electrical use passes a certain point it shuts off automatically. Which in this weather means certain death. There is no way it's not going to shut off too soon to keep the furnace igniting (even if it runs on gas the igniter's electric), just because of the number of hours of darkness daily. How that's not considered wrongdoing in these temperatures??? I just can't get over that part. Is this really the power company's idea of working with the indigent?
Can you post a link showing he was indigent?? All of our newspapers and TV stations must be wrong. BTW, our electricity has been out for six days due to weather from time to time. We did not die.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:37 PM

OK, "indigent" was probably the wrong word, but I'd be amazed to hear that he was well-off financially AND over a grand behind on his electric bill.

Apparently the investigation is not over yet. I clipped this from the NPR site:

Quote:
Bay City Electric Light & Power is city owned, and is not governed by the Michigan Public Service Commission, which has specific rules about shutoffs.

John Sellek is a spokesman for Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox. He says Bay City Police are working with local prosecutors in Bay County.

Sellek also says the attorney general may step in:

"He still has the ability to go in, take a look at the Bay City Municipal Utility's rules, find out if they followed those rules, and then try to make some decisions after he's gathered facts on that," Selleck says.

Bay City Electric Light & Power representatives declined to be interviewed. On Tuesday, the utility removed limiter devices from 60 to 70 customers' homes.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
OK, "indigent" was probably the wrong word, but I'd be amazed to hear that he was well-off financially AND over a grand behind on his electric bill.

Apparently the investigation is not over yet. I clipped this from the NPR site:
The money was on the table. The guy for some reson did not pay the bill.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:57 PM

293 posts, read 850,435 times
From a story I read, he had over $600,000 in his bank account. His phone had also been shut off. I am guessing that most likely the late payments were due to dementia.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:10 PM

OK, maybe it WAS a suicide. Damn, every piece of information I've gotten today about EVERYTHING has been crazy.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:50 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,166,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The money was on the table. The guy for some reson did not pay the bill.
You've mentioned this several times. Maybe you have never had a relative or someone else close to you with dementia. It isn't always apparent that someone has gone over the edge. It comes on gradually, and often an early sign is someone who has always been responsible (as this gentleman appears to have been) that stops paying bills on time, or eating regularly. They forget that they haven't eaten, or they totally lose track of time. Unless you are around them for long periods, you may not even notice that he or she is starting to slide away. They may appear to be just somewhat forgetful; repeating the same stories, or forgetting appointments.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
You've mentioned this several times. Maybe you have never had a relative or someone else close to you with dementia. It isn't always apparent that someone has gone over the edge. It comes on gradually, and often an early sign is someone who has always been responsible (as this gentleman appears to have been) that stops paying bills on time, or eating regularly. They forget that they haven't eaten, or they totally lose track of time. Unless you are around them for long periods, you may not even notice that he or she is starting to slide away. They may appear to be just somewhat forgetful; repeating the same stories, or forgetting appointments.
Yes, I have said that many times. In response to posts talking about him (or others) NOT having the money

Old 01-29-2009, 04:13 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,166,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Yes, I have said that many times. In response to posts talking about him (or others) NOT having the money
You're right - from everything I read he did have the money. A lot of the people posting here seem to be disregarding that fact. From what I understand, he had been a responsible bill-paying person for his whole adult life. That, in connection with his age, is why I'm making the assumption that he was suffering from dementia or alzheimers or something like that. People in that condition don't even realize they need help. And unfortunately not everyone has a strong support system. If he had no family, no church or other social connection, no close friends, there was no one who could ask for help on his behalf. If nothing else maybe this will result in changes being made to require that someone else be contacted in the future before utilities are cut off or restricted.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
You're right - from everything I read he did have the money. A lot of the people posting here seem to be disregarding that fact. From what I understand, he had been a responsible bill-paying person for his whole adult life. That, in connection with his age, is why I'm making the assumption that he was suffering from dementia or alzheimers or something like that. People in that condition don't even realize they need help. And unfortunately not everyone has a strong support system. If he had no family, no church or other social connection, no close friends, there was no one who could ask for help on his behalf. If nothing else maybe this will result in changes being made to require that someone else be contacted in the future before utilities are cut off or restricted.
As I read it, his phone was cut off too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan